Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods WHAT'S THE WORST INJURY YOU HAVE GOTTEN FROM A CAR?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 29StudeDude, Oct 8, 2021.

1. 29StudeDude

29StudeDude

Also could be titled: How to know when a car is cursed? or: Did you keep a car once it severely injured you? I bought a '25 Ford T-Bucket from a friend who had passed away before it was finished. While unloading it in my driveway from a friend's flatbed trailer, he tripped and fell, hurting his shoulder. Then a month ago, while unloading it from another friend's enclosed trailer, I was helping slow it's roll with my heels dug in. once it was almost to the street, in a second I was on my ass, and watching my right knee hit the rear axle on the way down. I tried to stand up, and quickly that knee buckled and put me on my ass again, in severe pain. We later noticed I had slipped in a bit of anti-freeze that had leaked out the front of the engine block. I am now recovering from surgery to repair a torn quad tendon in my knee, and wondering if I will ever be able to drive a bucket once healed. Let's hear your injury stories, and whether you kept the car or called it cursed, before moving it down the road to another owner. TN Rings.jpg 243943328_10209074045925922_9052344151885382477_n.jpg

2. MAD MIKE

MAD MIKE
    from 94577

*looks at bank account*
    *looks at pile of parts that haven't installed themselves yet.*
    Yes.

raven, Guthrie1068, Ziggster and 15 others like this.
  3. I haven't had any serious injurys from my cars, bit I did manage to slam my hand in the door Clark Griswold style. For a short time it felt like I broke fingers, but still managed to laugh at how dumb I was.

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

While sitting on ground with knees helping hold up big rear tire that was installing on 50 Chevy PU and my back locked up - could not move legs - could move out from tire - home alone & not near cell phone - after much pain was able to finally move out from tire - had to crawl to a fence to pull myself up - biggest pain has been to my wallet & melted credit cards

5. RmK57

RmK57

Last spring I had to have a metal sliver removed from my eye. I had safety glasses on (I always wear them) but it still managed to find it's way in.
    Other than that just the regular scraps and burns, nothing emergency room worthy.

rbrewer, Tow Truck Tom, Stogy and 6 others like this.
  6. woodsnwater

woodsnwater
    from North Al.

Seems like every time I come in from the garage my wife says "your bleeding again".

7. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Man that's a tough one...

Once pulling rocker on jeep and 15 pound clamp came loose under pressure, went down the side of my head just above my ear. Split me open from just behind my temple to back behind my ear, a good solid 5 to 6 inch gash. Knocked me back and on my butt a good 15 ft. Got up, looked in the mirror and rolled beads of my hair and stuck in the gash, let it matt up and dry and went back to work 20 min later.

Second one, grinding a frame rail weld with a full face mask when a storm rolled thru and the wind whipped around and went from nothing to 30mph and whipped a bunch of sparks under the mask and into my eyes. 9 pieces in the left eye and 3 in the right. Spent the afternoon in the docs office with him using a little dremel tool and a miniature thing that looked like an ice cream scoop digging them out....

They are others but those 2 really stand out.....

Lets not count how many finger nails I've lost !!

8. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Cars are healers, they fix you from the dealings with the women in your life....

9. sixty3

sixty3
    from Erie, Pa.

When my OT truck rolled off the ramps because the floor jack failed and pinned me between the work bench and tailgate. Fractured my pelvis in 5 places. Yes I still have the truck but not the floor jack!

10. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

My worst injury from a car was 2nd degree burns from a hot cooling system. It was my MIL's car, and I stupidly removed a heater hose from a hot engine without relieving the pressure first. WTF was I thinking????? That was bad, it scalded my hand, wrist and half way up my forearm real bad. I definitely had to head to the emergency clinic, and they applied some really great stuff that helped that it heal up quickly with no scars. Decades later I still can't believe I did something so stupid. What an idiot!

11. Had a seat belt explode on my on a ot new ( at the time Jaguar)

apprentice went to install the seat belt and cross threaded the bolt which caused the welded nut in the b pillar to tear off and spin around.

I did not realize he still had the seat belt electrically connected AND the ignition on. The pyrotechnic seatbelts have the equivalent of a shot gun shell of gun powered in them to tighten the seat belt in an accident .

I peaked my head in the see what he had done and tried to twist the retractor assembly to see into tje b pillar, WELP ! something grounded or got power so the pyrotechnic she’ll went off and destroyed the seatbelt sending the clock spring into my eye !!!

a bunch of stitches on my eye ball , some surgery snd walking around with an eye patch like a pirate for 3 months I got my sight back.

really scary there for a while thinking at 24 loosing an eye. And the blast is friggin loud when it’s not muffled by the interior panels .

12. flyin-t

flyin-t

I was 5 the day my grandma was killed getting the spare out of the trunk of her 57 BelAir and a big rig was cutting through the residence neighborhood, came around the corner and hit the rear of her car squishing her in between the 2. My parents dropped me off at my aunt and uncles down the street from us so they could be with my grandpa. My uncle and I in his ‘55 chevy post went to get some hamburgers, me on the front seat. This was 1961, no seat belts. Someone ran a red light and my uncle slammed the brakes launching be through the windshield and onto the hood. His immediate though was ‘oh my god I killed Richie the same day his grandma was killed’. No real injury’s that I can remember and my aunt says that was because of the concussion. I was pretty lucky with that one.
    When I was 8 I got hit by a boat and had some pretty good injury’s but that’s for another forum.

13. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cars or bikes? Shit where do I start? Had a 56 Buick blow the cap off the radiator while I was leaning into the engine compartment. Got my arm up in front of my face in time to save my face from getting scalded but my arm got a nasty burn. Hit a dog on my bike and crashed at 55 mph. Broken collar bone and road rash like you read about! Had my head split open with a cut off wheel that jammed and kicked the grinder out while lying under my truck cutting off an old mount. 20 stitches. More cuts and gouges on both of my forearms than I can count. Rusty slivers in either eye, different occasions, but had to have it removed. Broken knuckles... it goes on and on. Don't know how many times the wife has told me your bleeding you know?

20190914_184214.jpg

14. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I don't want to talk about it. I'm glad that I survived the crash.

15. Not too bad, but I guess it was unloading off of a trailer, I lost my balance when my legs backed into the trailer rail and I fell off cracking some ribs. That day was when I found out that old people don't bounce. I was officially old from then on.

16. Whenever I walk in the house and the wife sees me she says "You're bleeding again".:confused: My reply. Just checking my blood level and it was a little high so I let some out.:eek:

17. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Oh boy…lots of cuts, burns, slivers in the eye, etc. but this hurt the worst. Lowering my brothers late-model truck, spindle broke loose and destroyed my finger. Also hit my left leg and made it bleed pretty good.
    9DE45EB8-0542-4B14-95E6-E69695C871FA.jpeg
    that scar on the knuckle? My other hobby….my axes are sharp!

Last edited: Apr 2, 2022
  18. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

had a big ol' grinder get caught in my ripped shirt, wrapped the shirt around my hand which held the trigger depressed and pulled the grinder into my chest. made a nice red mark and just missed my right nipple. sure men don't need nipples, but I still wanted to keep both, they are a matching set.

Harbor freight grinder (not mine) stalled out with the trigger still pulled. glad I was not using my Milwaukee. BIG grinder not the 4".

could have been seriously killed.

19. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Which time? Had a battery in a OT Thunderbird explode in my face, a piece of the plastic case hit in my eyebrow, requiring stiches. Was cutting the tunnel on a OT Firebird out for a floor shifter, slipped and almost cut my thumb in two, also required stiches. Seems anything I work on anymore I bleed on it somewhere....

20. I guess this is nothing compared to some of you guys but how about touching the back of your index finger on a header right after you turn the engine off while you are trying to check spark plug wires?

21. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

whacked up my hand pretty good when an electric fan decided to come on. Few surgeries for that one. Many other cuts etc too numerous to mention-I just come in and tell my wife get the bandaids!!

22. jaracer

jaracer

Two black eyes with the blood vessels broken in both eyes. One no longer had any white, just red. That plus a case of sprint car arthritis (that's where your body aches everywhere) and bruises where all the belts were. I was service manager at a Dodge dealer at the time. I had to work in the office for a few days so I didn't scare any kids.

23. When I woke up in the hospital, they told me I was lucky to have 'slept' thru the 'incident'. They told me if it wasn't for the 15ft catch fence I'd have been in the pits, which would have been a lot worse. Only thing I remember to this day, is that I was running third. Nothing broken, but everything felt like it was arranged differently. Those wings on my Sprint didn't just keep me planted, they kept me from getting 'planted'.

24. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Had a grinder with a cut off wheel grab something while I was cutting a frozen shock bolt off, it threw the grinder across my chest and into my left arm. Of course I was home alone working. Went to drive myself to Hospital my truck would not start. Had to climb stairs to 2nd floor of barn to get my big charger to jump the truck. Decided I should wash up a bit first so I went in cleaned the worst of the dirt off myself and changed into a clean t shirt.
    Drove to the hospital, walked into the emergency room said I thought I needed stitches, they agreed. 28 stitches
    later I drove home, they were not to happy about me driving. I still have a notch in my left arm.

25. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

1966 Shot gun in nice 63 Falcon. Collided with '55 Chev head on, I punched a hole in the windshield with my head. Lot of chopped meat, I don't know how the plastic surgeon [good surgeon] got my left eyelid back together, 105 stiches total between forehead, left eye brow. Since I was 18 at the time I grew out of looking like Herman Munster in about a ten year period. Lucky.

26. Not as severe as some of these posts, but, I am a auto and truck tech. I get hurt in some manner every day. Blood flows Monday to Friday.:eek: I am getting to old for this shit.:eek:;)

27. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

common in replies "bleeding" - only way wife knows that I was working on Hot Rod

Tow Truck Tom, Stogy, WB69 and 5 others like this.
  28. Deuces

Deuces

46 stitches and 8 staples on the noggin..... Don't ask...:(
    I'm just glad I'm still alive....

29. i7083

i7083
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Had a tire iron slip out and shatter (doctor's word) my nose. And break my glasses.
    One time, not at band camp, I was carrying a cylinder head down an aisle in a crowded machine shop. Unseen until too late, I bumped a crankshaft that was standing next to the aisle. It fell over and the front counterweight landed square on my big toe. Sudden excruciating pain! 40 years later that nail is still not right...

30. 24riverview

24riverview