Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects HotRod Rebuild

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by ModelARon, Mar 18, 2021.

1. RodStRace

RodStRace

Post#88 shows a new, different clutch.
    Post #106 shows you redid the slave cylinder new with the same parts.
    Post#134 shows you redid the brake pedal.
    First, if possible, have someone work the clutch pedal while you are under the car and watch it work and hopefully measure the clearance at full depression.
    If nothing looks goofy, I'd guess the clutch is stiffer, that would be my first call (to centerforce).
    I'd double check the slave cylinder bore. Then I'd look into maybe changing the pedal ratio if nothing else is going to work. You have done such a nice job restoring this time capsule, and that change would be invisible to the onlooker. You have made some minor changes for safety, and this is in line with that.

2. ModelARon

ModelARon

3. ModelARon

ModelARon

I made some adjustments in the clutch rod and where the pedal is connected to the master cylinder. and it seems better. I will find out when i get it running. Started installing the new wire harness.
    My plan is to get the engine and dash wired so i can fire it up, before i install the fenders. 65375883207__4A77ED53-6108-4F73-8C32-099745A91085.jpeg IMG_4305.jpeg IMG_4391.jpeg

4. ModelARon

ModelARon

I had good success with wiring the engine and dash. Here is the first start up since 1975 and

5. ModelARon

ModelARon

I am used to driving my other car with a 454 . The small block likes to be rev higher.

loudbang likes this.
  6. ModelARon

ModelARon

I was not able to set the timing to 34 degrees BTDC because the oil cap on the side of the distributor hits the intake. Looks like i need to remove the oil cap. I will post this on the technical section IMG_4435.jpeg IMG_4437.jpeg

7. alchemy

alchemy

Can’t you just move the distributor one tooth on the cam?

8. ModelARon

ModelARon

I will move the distributor one tooth , that should give me the room i need. Thanks

Roger Loupias and loudbang like this.
  9. Hoptup32

Hoptup32

The last picture on post #26 shows the original distributor location rotated about 90 degrees further clockwise from where you presently have it now. It shows the distributor cap hold down clip closer to the intake manifold, where you presently have the oil cap and the stamped Ford script logo on the distributor is facing oppose the water sending unit. Can't you rotate the distributor so that the oil cap is on the drivers side of the engine?

chryslerfan55, Jrs50 and loudbang like this.
  10. ModelARon

ModelARon

WOW great catch. I must have changed the location of the distributor when i put it back together .
    I will fix that. Hoping to have this on the road for the spring. Thanks

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  11. Roger Loupias

Roger Loupias

Great project and story behind it. Stay with it even if it means picking up a part time job, or asking the wife to pick up more hours on hers.

12. loudbang

loudbang

Chrome exhaust manifolds look great. :)

13. ModelARon

ModelARon

Yes i love the chrome exhaust , frank has them chromed . I just cleaned them up.

loudbang likes this.
  14. 34 5W Paul

34 5W Paul
    from Fresno CA

Exceptionally nice work ARon. Great choices along the way and yeah, three years or more is no surprise. With a job, life, kids, 4 car maintenance and other projects, an engine rebuild took me a year. Just progress is the key. It is awesome to see the survivor interior, the Ford in a Ford and your ability to fix the important stuff without being heavy handed and losing the spirit of this gem. Well done, keep at it. They're really never done if you don't sell 'em.

15. The mismatched size Kugel Clamp below the MC sticks out

16. ModelARon

ModelARon

I have to hide this post from my wife

17. ModelARon

ModelARon

I don't like this mismatch size . But i will keep looking for a better one

loudbang likes this.
  18. ModelARon

ModelARon

Thanks for the great feed back. I just keep at it . Fixing and changing items as i go. There have been many redos and changes along the way. I feel this is a keeper so i guess it will never be done.
    My goal is to be able to hit some car shows this spring.

19. ModelARon

ModelARon

I pulled up the distributor and reset it. Easier than i though. Now the oil cup is on the other side so i have room to set the timing as i need. IMG_4461.jpeg

20. ModelARon

ModelARon

The water temp gauge is not working. I benched tested the gauge to make it work but no luck.
    So i installed a new one. I like that the new one has a better temperature range up to 240.
    Also installing a new temp sender to be sure the ohms match and i get the correct temp reading.
    The chrome is nicer on the old stuff IMG_4463.jpeg

21. Shadow Creek

Shadow Creek

Have you considered swapping the old bezel onto the new gauge? The old chrome does look better

Roger Loupias and loudbang like this.
  22. alchemy

alchemy

The newer bezels are stainless, not chrome. They can be buffed more to increase the shine, but the color might be different from the chrome.

Just Gary and SS327 like this.
  23. I looked, I thought I had one I could send you but I am out of the double smalls. They do make them tho! Love your rebuild

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  24. SS327

SS327

That is a hell of a nice ride the fenders look great especially the rear view! Sorry about the Ford engine though. :D

25. NealinCA

NealinCA

Like this?
    https://www.allensfasteners.com/detail.asp?Product_ID=5007

I do love the build, and the fact that you are keeping close to the original build. Keep the updates coming!

Neal

NoSurf, chryslerfan55, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  26. ModelARon

ModelARon

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  27. ModelARon

ModelARon

The cigarette lighter did not work. I guess that was a must back in the day.
    I will put in a new element and socket and keep the old knob.
    I need some place to charge my phone. IMG_4470.jpeg IMG_4471.jpeg

28. Great story for you, and for the original builder. Well done, keep it going!

High test 63 and loudbang like this.
  29. ModelARon

ModelARon

30. ModelARon

ModelARon

I used the Quick Glo to clean the steering wheel and it worked great. There is still some pitting
    on the chrome but i am happy with the outcome. I sanded the walnut and applied three coats of tung oil finish. IMG_4547.jpeg IMG_4591.jpeg