Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bird Houses

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Ron Funkhouser, Feb 22, 2020.

1. Glad they could help us both Ron.
    I like to watch them but dont really know what all of them are.
    Setting here with a lap bird[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Okie Pete, wraymen and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  2. noboD

noboD

I know this thread was not really supposed to be about the birds themselves. But just like cars that the people go with so do the birds. Besides I buy really nice houses for $6 so I ain't building any. I finally found out which F'n wooden pecker is beating on my roof. It's a male red breasted and the owl didn't scare him away. I was about to blow him when I saw him beating on a tree. He uses the side of his beak not the point. Looks crazy, can't imagine how stressful that must be on his neck. I just wish he wouldn't start at 6 AM. Besides he already has a GF so I'm not sure what he's hammering for. The Baltimoron Orioles, two males and one female, clean out 2 large oranges in about 3 days.

Okie Pete, wraymen and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  3. Maybe he is an old school Mormon Woodpecker.
    We had the same problem with one hammering on the gutter. We never really stopped it, just went away after a few weeks. At the time I was working early and it only bothered me on the weekends. Thought the owl would work. Definitely a territory deal, should stop when they get down to raising young.

Okie Pete and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  4. noboD

noboD

Like the lock down it has been over a month, getting tired of both. Yesterday was really bad, he hammered all day on anything he could find. He's about to get blowed up.

5. Did he look anything like this?[​IMG]

Okie Pete and dana barlow like this.
  6. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Hung my newly built owl house 4/10. Saw a pair of Screech Owls in it 5/11. I'm glad they're here.

7. noboD

noboD

Ron, he actually did look like that, except for the ceegar. He finally gave up, guess he found a piece of tail. But now the Baltimoron Oriole has spent the last three days beating on the picture window trying to chase himself away. He started at 6:00 AM this morning.

8. One of Brenda's friends saw this bird house and thought it looked like our vintage Shasta camper and gave it to her last night.

100_2871.JPG

Not quiet a carbon copy but it is cool. HRP

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  9. A picture of my birds barbershop. That's where they go to have their tail feathers trimmed. 20200617_143500.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G920P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. Gahrajmahal

Gahrajmahal

The woodpecker is just marking his territory with the “tattooing” letting the other males know to knot come knocking

Okie Pete likes this.
  11. pumpman

pumpman

24C2570F-75E9-4BAC-A84A-7EC9A7B23FAA.jpeg View attachment 4725144 View attachment 4725144 Not a true bird house but we have a visible gas pump on our deck. We have a real bird house near the deck but Ms. Wren decided that under the pump dome was the best spot. From what I read the female decides where they will nest. It’s hard to see but there are all sorts of twigs sticking out.

12. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

This is true in the human world as well.

Also, bright flourescent or neon plumage & coloring is generally the universal "Danger! Stay Away!" signal.

13. Okie Pete, flatheadpete and wraymen like this.
  14. noboD

noboD

A buddy just told me he bought bluebird food. I never heard of it but will look the next time I go for food. I have had them stay all winter quite a few years and wondered what they, can be too many skeeters out there in the winter.

15. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Bluebirds like mealworms. Dried mealworms can be purchased at any good store that sells bird feed.

16. Here are a couple of pics.The bird house was built by a good friend of mine at the request of my wife as a birthday present.Any resemblance to the author of this post is purely deliberate.This was when it was first installed. It has since been occupied by several families over the years. The nest on top of my garage light(which is inoperative anyway)was built and occupied by robins for a couple years.

Attached Files:

17. Not really on topic but pretty cool. Friend of mine called BS when I told him I have some flying squirrels hanging out in my yard. So I set up the camera. IMG_1182.JPG IMG_1184.JPG IMG_1186.JPG IMG_1189.JPG

18. Bird, Bird, Bird is the word. 394.jpg Just a bump to see some more of your bird houses.

19. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Mama 2021.jpg
    This is one of our oldest bird houses. Prolly been around 70+ years. Mama Screech Owl likes it.

20. Anyone built or got a new bird house lately? 113.jpg [​IMG]

Okie Pete and lothiandon1940 like this.
  21. noboD

noboD

A few days ago I noticed the wren house close to my front porch had fallen down. Picked it up and babies were dumped out laying on the ground. I put them back in and hung it up again. Mom was close by giving me crap from a nearby bush. It took her a while to settle down but she started feeding again so I guess everything is OK.

22. Have ya got, or built any new bird houses?[​IMG]

Okie Pete, lothiandon1940 and wraymen like this.
  23. I have built a few recently, no where near as creative as the ones posted. Maybe I’ll think something up this winter.

24. A few photos I took this week. Our first snow. Let’s see what you have BFB12B7E-B395-40CA-BA93-067D744565F7.jpeg 11E7A6CF-BBC3-4407-899D-6BDA7CF34A1A.jpeg 9042C8AD-D184-4A2E-88B1-6F87F63E6940.jpeg

Okie Pete, lurker mick and wraymen like this.
  25. One of my feeders before I filled it.
    2360D77E-96F6-4ED0-95D3-123299C9EE07.jpeg

26. Oilguy

Oilguy

27. I got to see a red shouldered hawk up close today. My son who is a naturalist/biologist with the county caught and banded one in our neighborhood. C6AD19F0-DF50-4D03-9BB0-B1682D46FD15.jpeg 68301BF2-A579-4D21-94DC-6D4A59D08C10.jpeg 0C897457-E947-4C5B-B51D-BE6603A9539F.jpeg

28. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In the old hay barn here there was a pair of white small barn owls . They were fun to listen to late at night . They would click and screech while flying.
    There’s lots of red tailed hawks around here in the summer time and a few winter over . I’ve seen over a hundred in a field that I’ve tilling up in the spring and fall when they migrate through .
    Barn swallows are fun to watch as they dip and dive catching bugs flying up from the fields . I’ve seen one bite the middle out of a moth and the moths wings just rolled off each side of its beak .
    A wind turbine farm has been built around me . A year before construction started there were 3 young Ladies who counted the different types of birds and where their flight patterns. Day and night for a year . They knew where every owl , Hawk was at .

Last edited: Feb 2, 2022
  29. They claim that those wind turbines kill a lot of hawks etc. I believe they are getting better about where they set them up. I saw on PBS that some come with some type of detection system that shuts it down momentarily when a migrating hawk approaches.
    Barn owls are getting rare around us. Development and dwindling farms have taken a toll.

A great horned owl my son rescued last year. Rehabilitated and released.
    93CF4D90-352A-450D-B585-AC013384A452.jpeg

30. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Alright now im interested. Here at our place Ive seen dozens of Red tail hawks, Ive only laid eyes on one Owl but you can sure hear them "hooot" in the evening, curious what kind they may be...Even saw a single bat a couple times in the summer right around dusk. Alls we have as far as houses are store bought Purple Martin houses and some feeders and a bird bath . Mainly small Finch.? Blue Jays, Cardinals and Robins, Squirrels using those. I think I'll get out in the wood shop grab some scraps and see what I can come up with too !