Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Valley Pan Gasket or not?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by JGT, Oct 7, 2021.

1. JGT

JGT

I'm assembling a Oldsmobile 400. Originally it had a valley pan gasket presumably to keep oil from coking the bottom of the intake manifold. What are the pros and cons of installing regular intake gaskets that don't cover the bottom of the intake VS. a full cover valley pan gasket?
    Intake manifold gasket pan.jpg edl-7284_w_ml.jpg

Deuces likes this.
  2. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

On the last page of "rebuilding your first engine" the late, great Joe Mondello mentions the "turkey tray" bathtub gasket but does not recommend it either way, except that clearances should to be checked before installing it for keeps.
    https://mondelloperformance.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/RebuildYourFirstEngine.pdf

Mondello performance offers a valley tray shield in place of the "turkey tray" bathtub gasket.
    https://mondelloperformance.com/product-category/gaskets-sealants/

A cooler intake charge ( not oil or heat riser cross-over heated ) is often a good thing.

3. JGT

JGT

Thanks for taking the time to locate the references. I'm inclined to go with the standard gaskets. I'll leave the 'turkey tray' to to cooks. After thinking about it for a bit I reminded myself that the GM SBC's have been doing it this way for a very long time with great success

4. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Small block Chevy has the pan attached to the bottom of the intake.

SS327 and egads like this.