Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Mercury Flat Head V-8

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Texas Rover, Oct 7, 2021.

1. Texas Rover

Texas Rover

Hi guys, Gots a question. I have a chance to save parts off a Mercury flat head V-8. Is anything worth saving on it? It is current sitting above a Marmon Herrington 4 wheel drive unit in a scrap yard. I am going to try and get some numbers off it tomorrow.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. 1952henry

1952henry

What size vehicle is the MH it is sitting in?

3. leon bee

leon bee

Here's what you want: the block, and the crank and rods. In other words, drag home the whole 500 pounds or not much.

4. At the least, crank,and rods.

5. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The 255 cu. in. Mercury engine didn't appear until after the "late model " flathead was produced. Otherwise, it's the same as the Ford flathead,however, a good rebuildable block is getting hard to find.
    If your're wanting a FH for your self, it's worth getting; if you're looking to resell, maybe tell someone who wants or needs one do the work. JMHO

6. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How do you know it's a Mercury? Is there some marking on the engine (such as "8CM" or "EAC" heads) or are you taking someone's word for it? The latter can be quite unreliable.

7. Texas Rover

Texas Rover

The heads are marked "Mercury". I will look to see if there is 8CM or EAC today.

8. Texas Rover

Texas Rover

If there is someone in the Boise Idaho area I would tell them. 500 pound block would cost $250 from the scrap yard. Not in my price range.

9. Texas Rover

Texas Rover

The drive train is the only thing left of the MH. Looks like a 1 ton. Had duals in the back at one time. The diff in the front has small bearing caps with "MH" embossed on them, about 6" across. The front and rear axle bolt together in the middle. The front axles gear housing is off center on the drivers side. Hope that tells you you need to identify it. Oh, it also had a Coleman transfer case.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2021
    unforgiven likes this.
  10. unforgiven

unforgiven
    from East Tn

I would be trying to drag it all home if I were close. Just having that original 4wd parts would be cool

11. 1952henry

1952henry

Did you see the wheels? 20"? Is it a jailbait or F series?

12. Texas Rover

Texas Rover

That's the problem with being way out here. Not a lot of guys in the area interested in things like this when I find them.

13. oldsman41

oldsman41

Marmon built a lot of vehicles some military stuff, 40s stuff mostly Ford flathead. I think in 52 53 and 54 they used the merc engine in there wreckers.

14. 1952henry

1952henry

Me and three internet buddies have some Marmon Harringtons, mine is a 1952 F3, model R32 in MH speak. Had it for 20 years. Got it from ranch family that bought it new from local Ford agency.
    Stabbed running flathead in it. Going to get exhaust finished up and enough wiring to make it run in backyard. Then blow it apart for resto. Wanted one since was knee high to a grasshopper. Ford, flathead, 4wd, 3/4 ton, hits all the marks for me.

15. If it’s a late 255” Merc it’s worth saving everything. Matter of fact no sense in letting any Flathead stuff get scrapped.

The Merc has a 4” crank double oil holer. Nice rods. It has a better camshaft and heads with a bigger transfer area for more flow.

The intake manifold is bitchin’ because it’s a 4 bolt and a Rochester 2GC can easily be adapted.

The oil pan is the best one of all. It’s a nice smooth rear sump with a windage tray in it.

joel likes this.
  16. Texas Rover

Texas Rover

What is the stroke measure at? I pulled the heads just to see what it looked like in the cylinders. No rust, very little if any wear. I was able to turn the motor over. The numbers on the bell housing are "B116 1" below that is the number "59". The heads are 24 bolt.

17. Texas Rover

Texas Rover

It has 20" 5 lug wheels. Not sure what you mean by jailbait or F series.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
  18. Texas Rover

Texas Rover

The heads are marked 8CM and are 24 bolt.

19. Glenn Thoreson

Glenn Thoreson
    from SW Wyoming

No matter if the engine is '39 - '53 or if it's a Ford block with mercury heads. It doesn't matter. These things are becoming hard to get and it is definitely worth saving. If it's in Boise I may be interested in it myself. Just a long days' drive there and back.

20. Texas Rover

Texas Rover

It is in Payette Idaho. I did pull the heads off to see what it looked like inside. No rust at all. I then then engaged the transmission and I was able to turn over the motor with no problem. It also has a 4 speed attached to it, if that means anything. If your coming I will give you it location in Payette. If I can I would meet you there and show it to you. The scrap yard charges 50 cents a pound for anything you buy out of the yard.

21. 1952henry

1952henry

Jailbar...42-47 ford truck. F series...48 and up. 48-52 f1-f8.

22. Texas Rover

Texas Rover

I measured the stroke. It is 3.75".

23. Texas Rover

Texas Rover

Thanks for letting me know. I was not able to pay for the motor and had to leave it at the scrap yard.