Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Mass assigned Vin, title, registering Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 32 hudson, Oct 5, 2021.

1. 32 hudson

32 hudson

Massachusetts HAMB members has any one had recent experiences say in the last 10 years concerning the applying for an assigned VIN number, Title and registering process for old cars for what the state refers to as street rods. What paper work did you have present besides bill of sale?

Snicklefritz65 likes this.
  2. 32 hudson

32 hudson

Bump to the top.

3. 4ty

4ty

You might want to go to MA DMV website and see what it says.
    As MA is a mandatory annual inspection State that's a given on the list for sure.
    Paul in CT

studebaker46 likes this.
  4. 32 hudson

32 hudson

Thank you Paul for your reply. I have been there and read what it says. I should clarify that I am looking for recent personal experience's from HAMB Massachusetts Members and the hoops that they have jumped through to satisfy the states requirement. I have searched the HAMB on this subject and found threads dating back to 2012 when the law requirements changed .
    Paul I hope you get out there on this beautiful sunny dry fall day to drive your hot rods. Unfortunately I am still in the building phase and hope to be able drive the thing legally next year.
    Steve

5. i realize this is an old thread but i'm piecing together a car in massachusetts and anticipate this spectre someday in my future. just wondering steve if you've had any success or learned anything. my car has a new custom frame and aftermarket body. so, good times ahead for sure!

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The main thing is proof that you own all of the major parts on the car.
    Recepts, bills of sale, Title for Donor rig or copy of title and paperwork from selling the hulk.

I'd suggest getting a 3 ring binder and some page savers. put the receipts, bills of sale and other info in the binder. Most of us save a screen shot of the Craigslist, FB market place or Hamb classifieds that we found a vehicle or major part on as a matter of practice. We also take the "what it looked like when I found it" photos. The copy of the add, and a printed photo or two for the as I found it, help your story.When I buy a donor rig with a title I photo copy the title and put that with the paperwork for where the hulk went. That may be a copy of the bill of sale to the guy who bought it as a parts car.

As far as safety items, usually you can go down the NSRA 23 item list and make sure that the applicable ones are there. Not a bad idea to have that list printed out and in the build book to show that you are paying attention.

I've found that if I have a question it is best to go to the patrolmen who actually do the inspectons and ask. They are the ones who are going to be checking the paperwork and the car and having it the way they want it goes a long way. Screenshot (856).png Screenshot (857).png Screenshot (858).png Screenshot (859).png

Massachusetts-Assigned Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) | Mass.gov

7. 32 hudson

32 hudson

I am still in the building stage. Not there yet. Mr 48 chevy above has it nailed down well with advice.

8. some very good advice, thanks! in my case some of my major parts have a dead end trail. a 1970 engine and trans that came out of a car built in '66 and out of state. i have no contact with the seller. rear came out of a car on the other side of the country i think about 20+ years ago. zero paper trail... i just wish i had the foresight to keep copies of the adverts as you suggested. i'm doing better with the body (but it's aftermarket 'glass) and the frame (custom-built).

9. just want to add that i appreciate you going to the trouble of hunting down those links and sharing them in addition to your advice. i've been visiting the mass. rmv site but i still come away thinking i gotta talk to an actual human about specifics. i'm sure our registry is not too different than others in that the answer you get sometimes depends on who at the registry you talk to. and what time of the day or week.

my background is in "late model" cars of the '60s and '70s and when we swapped an engine or other drivetrain part we never went through this crap. if i got my info right my state says we have to apply for a new vin even if we do an engine swap. if that's so it didn't used to be like that and who the hell is going to prove anything? heck, i swapped the six out of my high school car to a v8 and i don't even think i changed the reg. that was the early '80s though.

sorry for the rant. i do appreciate all constructive input. i'm lerning.

10. i had a shot at a nice model a frame (i'm building a t-bucket) but passed on it. given it's got numbers it may have helped a bit in this process. maybe not. anyway, he wanted way too much.

hope your project is coming along well.

11. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My brother is in a bit of a pissing contest with them right now up in Mass. He bought a 1931 A bodied Brookeville on a 32 reproduction chassis out of NY. It was a roller without engine and transmission but complete otherwise and had been on the road in NY. He has a NY state registration signed over to him along with a Bill of Sale. He purchased a 1950 flathead V8 and 5 speed and installed it. He has bills of sale for all parts. When he went to get it inspected to get a VIN all was ok except for the engine. The dick he was working with said the flathead had to have a typical Mfg. number on it that could be traced or he wouldn't proceed with the paper work. Even if he did a bonded title! He essentially told my brother that if he put a small block Chevy into it from 1968 or later it would have the numbers "he" says it has to have. My brother has actually bought a small block Chevy to put in it just to solve this pissing contest. I think this is bullshit that he should have to pull out a complete functioning engine and swap it out to satisfy this guys requirements. I guess the moral of the story is if your doing this in Mass be prepared for a large level of bullshit! That and have as much documentation as you can get.

12. amen on those last points. i recall talking with a guy at a local cruise, and in a nutshell, he concluded the state figures if you're building a car you must have deep pockets, and they want a piece. similar to the experience with your brother i'd considered buying a piece of junk anything just for the vin and toss in the drivetrain to please our overloards then later put the right parts in. a real hassle and costly. it would be a last resort thing though. in spite of this i'm doing my best not to become pessimistic even before i take the first gut punch.

but jeez, prior inhabitants of the baystate took to arms over less. :)

GordonC likes this.
  13. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

I'm in Iowa, but I'm sure this helps anywhere. Get the DOT involved early. I talked to a DOT inspector early and he E-mailed me the rules I had to follow to get an assigned title. As it worked out, I got the same inspector when it came time to get it checked out. It went fine.

Gary

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A bill of sale for said parts dated for about the time you actually bought them for what appears to be the going price for said parts should suffice. As long as you have no doubt that the guy who actually sold them to you legally owned them life is good. You can even find bills of sale forms online to print out if you don't want to use notebook paper.

Snicklefritz65 and GordonC like this.
  15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am a paperwork-first person.

I will not start a build until it has a title.

I won't even work on a customer's car unless and until they can show me a title in their name.

GordonC and TrailerTrashToo like this.
  16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd say that comes down to your brother having the documentation as to what serial numbers if any that that block might have on it.

There is supposed to be a partial serial number stamped in the back right hand corner of the mounting surface for the intake that allegedly is visible with head and intake on.
    This photo snagged from this article in the Ford barn8BA engine number location - The Ford Barn
    Sources say that is a date code from when the engine was assembled but the link I provided a minute ago doesn't jive with that block so I am going to have to turn around and research my flathead books.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 8, 2023
    GordonC likes this.
  17. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mr48chev thanks. I thought whatever numbers he could find on the flattie block should have been good enough but who knows if the thing has been surfaced and they were wiped out? As old as these things are nothing surprises me anymore. Plus in Mass they want the almighty tax dollar. Anything they can do to make you PAY they will do! I lived there for more than 40 years so I have first hand experience with how ugly it can get!

18. yup. the first opportunity i get to move, i'm gone.

19. however, the rmv website says i need the vin from the donor car(s). i did chat with another member who lives here and he gave me some words of encouragement that it may not be all that cut and dry. still, if i happen to get some barney fife they have the rules and regs on their side.

20. that sure can't hurt and i appreciate the sensible advice. as soon as i'm up for the task of spending hours on the phone per day i will reach out and get the ball rolling.

i just don't want to say the wrong thing and poison the process. think of living in an abusing relationship and you may have some idea what it's like here. not saying other states don't have their issues, all do, but man this state sucks.

21. 20-20 being what it is i should mention i've never built a car from the ground up before. plus, when i was last heavily involved with cars 30+ years ago (muscle cars) we swapped drivetrain parts with regularity and i don't believe my state cared all that much. the last "special interest" car i had 22 years ago didn't require a title when i got it. heck, i'm pretty sure i never amended the reg on my high school car (early 1980s) when i took out the 6 and installed an 8. since then, i'm nearly 100% my state requires a vin change just for replacing the engine.