Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Looking at a 1947 Mercury...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Swifster, Oct 3, 2021.

1. Swifster

Swifster

On Tuesday I'm going to look at a '47 Merc. I've never seen this car and it belongs to a friend of my Mother who's husband has passed away. I don't know how much, if any has been done. I don't know if it's a 2-door, a 4-door or (I can pray can't I) a wagon.

All this said, what am I looking at? I've always screwed around with late 50's or 60's cars. I think the wheelbase is 3" longer than a Ford? If a coupe or a wagon, I want to go the 'Traditional' route. If a 4-door I might buy and update it as a family cruiser.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Thinks to look for?

Thanks guys!

VANDENPLAS and jimmy six like this.
  2. manyolcars

manyolcars

I got my 47 Merc in 1967. Still have it. Its mostly Ford parts with a different front fender/hood/grill/assembly and cooler taillights

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  3. Look for rust in the trunk floor and floor in front of the front seat.

4. Swifster

Swifster

What kind of suspension is on the front? If the flatty is still with the car, I don't have a problem using it. I would probable us a GM or Ford AOD with an adapter (change to bad knees). Do you have a pic?

5. Swifster

Swifster

I'll definite look in these spots! Thanks Don!

jimmy six likes this.
  6. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

i ran a flattie / aod ... went good, but a tip don't shift to od unless on the pike as those trannies shift a hundered times zipping around town... then one day they won't shift to od ...

7. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Suspension unless changed will be same a 47 Ford. Mercury is 3-4" longer in front, all the added length is in front of the cowl as far as I know. A Mercury hood on a Ford results in an overbite. Wheelbase will be that amount longer, too.

8. Swifster

Swifster

Thanks everyone. I can't wait to check it out!

9. Swifster

Swifster

Well, that was all about nothing. Supposedly this car ran when bought in 1999. Now? Nothing but a hot mess. There is a 302 sitting in the frame rails, rack and pinion and a MII suspension. The headlamps are frenched in, the front grilles are missing and the interior is str

10. Swifster

Swifster

I offered $200...

11. How is the body ? Interior ? Glass etc ?

Is it at least a roller ?

or a complete basket case ?

$200 sound really , really cheap !!

how was the 302 ? Rebuilt ? Junk yard find ?

Pics would be great but, from your description it don’t sound great .

12. Yeah, way too cheap unless it's literally a pile a rust...

13. Swifster

Swifster

The engine is just a long block. The garage does really lend itself to checking out the entire car. The interior is completely stripped including the dash not being in the car. Any place that there was an exterior molding there is popped paint and surface rust. It looks like it's a roller, but I can't tell until I try to roll it.

When you find something that might interest you, you tend to day dream. I found a stock frame. I found a 390 Cadillac engine. Most likely a stock look in either black cherry or midnight blue. A drop axle...

But if she say no to the $200, she can keep it.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2021