Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 40 ford wheel studs

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by novaskilling, Oct 4, 2021.

1. novaskilling

novaskilling

I just bought a pair of 40 ford rear hubs. The studs have been removed and I need to install new ones. What studs would be ideal for running 35 wire wheels? Is there a special tool to install the studs? Thanks!

2. X38 likes this.
  3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

@novaskilling

Look for a Dorman products catalog or website. They have a wide selection of lug studs in varying configurations with specifications of each aspect of the characteristics. The stud length, thread dimensions, shank and serrated section dimensions, etc.

I replaced a complete set of of Ford lug studs and found what I needed in their catalog. In fact, I have replaced Mopar and Buick lug bolts with Dorman studs too.

If you are asking about an ‘installation tool’ because of the way the originals were swedged in place, that is not necessary. The serrated shank studs can be pressed into the hub with no further procedure required…provided….you have a sufficient interference fit between the lug shank serrations and the hub stud hole. A interference fit of .010” to .015” works very well.

I strongly urge you to install the studs with a shop press, NOT a hammer. Also, support the hub with a piece of pipe or a socket when pressing the stud into place.

Ray

Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
    stillrunners and LOU WELLS like this.
  4. alchemy

alchemy

5. novaskilling

novaskilling

Thank you so much! Exactly what I needed to read!

6. novaskilling

novaskilling

7. novaskilling

novaskilling

8. Andy

Andy

I just installed studs in the Buick drum conversion I am doing. I had a difference of .018 between stud and hole. I pulled them in with the lug nuts. It really went pretty easy and they came out straight. I ran a test on a piece of plate. I drilled the same size hole as in the hubs and drove it in with a hammer. It ended up crooked. I could have screwed up the hubs driving them in.