Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Car Shows... Is it time?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Oct 5, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

Car Shows... Is it time?

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Awe shit fellas... I screwed up... I was editing a feature that was supposed to go live last month and accidentally published it... And because I am working on the new site, I can't really edit it without screwing some crap up.

I apologize... Super unprofessional... but I guess that's me!

Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
  2. squirrel

squirrel

Yeah, it's time. We're putting on our local show this weekend....

3. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Lead ain’t dead already happened. It was in September this year

4. Yeah, it's time!
    As Moriarity said, "Lead Ain't Dead" already happened and it was a great show but "The Gathering" is this weekend and the SK500 will be in May...

54delray, loudbang and drdave like this.

5. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Looking forward to the photos you shoot!

6. Never stopped here. I was on call so I did not make it out much on Saturday but there were two events in Rapid alone. Some of the best cruising I have seen since the 80s happened the last two summers.

I need to make it down to Lead Ain't Dead one of these years. Always looks like a real life Weesner setting

7. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Never should've stopped promoting them. In time we'll look back on the covid era as the largest mistake mankind ever made.

8. jnaki

jnaki

CAR SHOWS... IS IT TIME?

Hello,

As we get older, we are susceptible to all sorts of maladies. It has been floating in the air since we were young. As more come in contact through whatever the source, we are all in danger. The older we get, the more stuff comes our way and we have to be able to stay healthy enough to ward off any blasts.

So, no, the car shows, swap meets, things like a large gatherings will lower the amount of healthy people. It only takes one to start the whole process of in the air systems that float around for others to unknowingly run through it. It does not matter that concerts, shows and activities are outdoors, it only takes one contact to start the process and continues to the next unknowing person.

A long time ago, we saw a documentary on movie theaters and one person sneezing in the theater seats. If they are somewhere in the upper seats, the air circulation system takes those particles and spreads it around the whole cave of the theater. Affecting one and all. A large gathering like a swap meet or outdoor car show, despite being outdoors still has the potential to come in contact with the person that is walking around like nothing has happened.

If we all don’t follow the rules as given to us by the officials of the CDC, the FDA and whoever else has more knowledge than us. The internet people wanting their 15 minutes of fame for pounding out falsehoods is like a disease of unfounded facts not necessarily the truth. The rumor started with a friend of a friend who read it in a magazine article, etc… it is not all real facts.

So, as much as we all like hot rods, car shows indoors or outdoors, now is not the time to start attending them just because you are hurting for a hot rod/custom car fix. It is far from the best place to be to help the pandemic get over. Coming in contact with hundreds of people that we know little about their history, where they have been and who they have come in contact with is a little scary.

Masks help, but not all follow the mask mandate. Vaccines definitely help as we all don’t have Small Pox, Polio, DPT , Whooping Cough, Rubella, etc. Some still get it, but for the most part, since we all stood in line as little kids, we were spared the Small Pox and Polio Diseases. So, with the new attack coming right at us, why aren't we all doing what we can to prevent the spread? (individually and collectively?)

Jnaki

So, what is the difference from our own histories of the 40s through the 70s? We all had to stay together to fight whatever was affecting our USA let alone the whole world. Climate? Sure, ecology, sure, but the health of people in the USA and all over seems a little important right now. We are all getting a little tired of restrictions, but if we did not have restrictions, the majority of people would keep spreading the disease and the pandemic would continue to go into another year or two.

We are all getting the short end of the stick if we all don’t get the idea of protection, separation and social distancing. We must realize those that are immune deficient and susceptible to just about anything that floats around need everyone’s help in curtailing the reason for the pandemic. It all works down to simple reasoning of sticking together to get over the fast spreading disease. We all have individual rights, but helping to stop the fast spreading variants as well as the original disease is everyone’s responsibility.

In 2020, the car shows sponsors felt responsible and shut down. The pandemic is still going on as powerful as the disease can get. So, why are the shows still being put on display? Lack of sensibility does not always play well with facts.

As much as we all like the L.A. Roadster Show and events, the Escondido Nitro Night event, and others of similar originality, they shut down for the 2021 year. Their responsibility was more inline with safety for all of us. There is always the following year and beyond. YRMV

9. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Jesus guys you trying to set a new record for how fast Ryan has to lock one of his own threads

10. Primered Forever

Primered Forever
    from Joplin,MO

Been going strong all summer here.

loudbang, whoodooman and Tman like this.
  11. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

Go out and enjoy yourself
    BUT use common sense

12. I missed Lead Ain’t Dead this year but am planning on hanging out with most of those folks this weekend at the Roc. I’m honestly not much on shows, but the two mentioned here are a couple of my favorites.

54delray, 1stGrumpy, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  13. Hoosierhauler

Hoosierhauler
    from Gaston IN

Just had our local show, over 2000 cars. It would of been more but it rained for the first few days.

loudbang likes this.
  14. Ryan,
    I too am immune compromised, getting a heart transplant kinda does that. I too have to be careful, BUT, I'm not hiding. I'm living my life. I love taking my 50 to car shows. I was just at the Viva Las Vegas Show (it was a Great show). I've been to a few local shows. I've taken my 64 comet to the Eagle Field Drags and had a Great time.

in my opinion, and it's MY OPINION, we can't hide, we have to live our lives, we have to do what we love. Hiding isn't good for the soul.

So, go out into the garage, wipe off that hot rod, and get out there, BUT, for us compromised fellas, wear your masks,
    wash your hands.

look, that was easy...... no politics.

BigMike

15. How about if your not comfortable attending shows just get out and drive your damn old car or truck. After all that’s what they are for. To the grocery store, the Dr. office, work, Walmart and everywhere in between. I do.

16. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

I'm also immunocompromised, got vaccinated, even the booster shot. ...
    Really looking forward to the Gathering this weekend. I'm due for a good road trip!

17. I agree that the temptation to go to a car show is really low. I’ve never much cared for them.
    Swap meets however…I’m like a moth to a flame.

VANDENPLAS and bigmikes50chevy like this.
  18. Had a great time at Lead Ain't Dead and am looking forward to The Gathering this weekend as well. It's been a bummer missing so many of the shows over the last two summers we usually get to....so many folks we only get to see at shows due to the distance between us. Here's to better days ahead and back to getting to see all our friends from all over.

19. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Awe shit fellas... I screwed up... I was editing a feature that was supposed to go live last month and accidentally published it... And because I am working on the new site, I can't really edit it without screwing some crap up.

I apologize... Super unprofessional... but I guess that's me!

lothiandon1940, Petejoe, Tim and 3 others like this.
  20. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

I just want to be treated like an adult. If a car show or business wants to attract customers, they should take reasonable steps to make those customers comfortable. As a customer, if I feel comfortable with the steps you have taken, I will patronize your show or business. This summer I attended the shows and swaps I normally do. I was good with it.

21. The local car shows here never really stopped, and have been hit or miss with attendance and with most using common sense rules. Covid is here to stay, and yes it is time.

whoodooman and Blues4U like this.
  22. Can't wait for the new site!

23. Brenda & I are going to Cherokee, North Carolina for a show on the tribal fairgrounds, looking forward to the sights & smells of the Great Smoky mountains. HRP

Zax, lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  24. New site ?

Since July we have had car shows again

The Ancaster swap meet is happening at the end of the month, they canceled the one in the spring, it’s one of the bigger ones going around me.

I’ll be there for sure. Need to show proof of being double vaxxed to get into the buildings .

might slow things down a bit, but we gotta do what we gotta do.
    It sucks, we are at the tail end of this thing. I’m just glad stuff is getting back to normal , slowly . But it’s getting there !!

Special Ed and Malcolm like this.
  25. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Some cancelled their events around here, other went on with them. I have only been able to go to a couple due to other things not related to the madness.

26. In here, Post #72

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/tapatalk-the-h-a-m-b-app.1231355/page-3

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  27. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Ryan, you are not alone in screwing up once in a while - it happens. as for puttin' on/going to shows & swaps it can be a difficult decision for each of us. as stated above, use common sense and acknowledge the advise of health experts. some people that replied to this thread mentioned shows attended but, didn't take pics to share. I try to take pics & share of events I go to because many others can not go for one reason or another. but, I do screw up sometimes post pics with a modern large wheel somewhere in shot - usually partial view of wheel in question. so it all gets deleted. primarily, don't get yourself deleted by putting yourself in a situation that may adversely affect your health.

loudbang and VANDENPLAS like this.
  28. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

while I may never go to the movies, a bar or restaurant again I have no problem with outside car shows.

this whole mess is 75% politics and 25% science.

29. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

When we were in our teens and twenty’s with no family we were all taken chances.
    Having the responsibilities of a family during these times makes it much harder to return to normal.
    Nowadays in my later years I use common sense but being vaccinated gives me Alittle more courage.
    Hell after all out shots we still contacted a mild form of this damn stuff 6 weeks ago.
    Yes we haven’t slowed down. Still hitting a few shows and getting out into the public.

30. So you are a normal person. What’s a little screw up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.