Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What did you do with your car today? * NEW*

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by j hansen, May 3, 2020.

1. Love those valve covers :D

Joe Blow and Lone Star Mopar like this.
  2. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

I got the rear axle squared up ! We got the trans and motor bolted together and set in place. studebaker build 014.JPG studebaker build 006.JPG studebaker build 004.JPG studebaker build 003.JPG

Joe Blow, blowby, jimmy six and 7 others like this.
  3. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I got the flywheel mounted on the 230 inline six. It took a little searching but I found some 7/16 star lock washers at Fastenal. My problem has always been fat fingers and it was sort of an ordeal to get the washers and nuts started with about 1/4" of clearance. Now they are secure and the engine build can continue. Clutch disc and pressure plate assembly is on deck for tomorrow. More stuff off the shelves and onto the build.

4. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh Hell, I'm pretty sure I qualify for all the first three;)

Joe Blow and lothiandon1940 like this.
  5. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

About a week ago, I finally got started running brake lines and the back half is all done. Today, I'm standing in front of the T trying to figure out why my front rubber hoses were coming off the front side of the wheel cylinders.:confused::eek: I had a flash of instant pain:mad: when I realized I had put my spindles on the wrong sides.o_O:eek::oops: It's all fixed now after disassembling the front end and putting it back together right, but damn.:D

6. buzz4041

buzz4041
    from Texas

Cleaned up some valve covers had laying around for 20 years. Not bad for a first pass. polish2.jpg polish5.jpg View attachment 51853

Boneyard51, TA DAD, Joe Blow and 10 others like this.
  7. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

Always done patch work with a tig , first time with a mig hope it holds. tacked panel.jpg finished panel.jpg

Joe Blow, blowby, 61Cruiser and 13 others like this.
  8. LAROKE

LAROKE

From the BillyBob Shop log

September 30th 2021 I took the pic of the bent valve and broken guide to the coffee cruise-in on Sunday to get the opinions of my geezer friends. Retired machinist John Carey was present and he offered to help. I never ask John for help these days because he won't take any payment and he has done a lot more for me than I have for him over the years. Sometimes, my one-two punch mistakes, where I mess up and then compound it, intrigue him. He has a little machine shop in his one-car garage and I'm to bring the head out there when I get a set of valve guides for measurement purposes.

Ordered Valve Guides and seals, Rear Main Rope Seal, Oil Galley Plug Kit and Roller Timing Chain Kit from Matt Martin at Centerville Auto Repair. While waiting on that, the head bolts and studs were given the Oileater parts washer treatment. It took four one hour sessions to get all the paint off. That was followed by an Evapo-Rust dip and, finally, a light coating of Marvel Mystery Oil before being set aside.

There are two freeze plugs in the side of each head. Set about to remove them by drilling a pilot hole and screwing in a self-tapping bolt, followed by prying up with a claw hammer. I tried two sizes of bolt and both pulled out without any sign that the plug had moved. Nothin' easy with this head. I'll have to get that replacement MAP torch to heat these things up in case they were installed with threadlocker red.

Beer of the day was Harpoon Brewery's Camp Wannamango Pale Ale with Mango. Background music was The Pilgrim: a celebration of Kris Kristofferson.

[​IMG]

Joe Blow, 61Cruiser, Lil32 and 6 others like this.
  9. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[QUOTE="LAROKE, post: 14216322, member: 38657"
    Beer of the day was Harpoon Brewery's Camp Wannamango Pale Ale with Mango. Background music was The Pilgrim: a celebration of Kris Kristofferson.]

The background music is perfect for any occasion from weddings to funerals and anything in between. Just saying the name, " Harpoon Brewery's Camp Wannamongo Pale Ale with Mango "o_O, makes me want to brush my teeth;)
    [​IMG][/QUOTE]

Joe Blow, LAROKE, Lil32 and 4 others like this.
  10. Finally got ambitious and painted the dash, column, shifter, etc for my '47. Think I had it ready to paint in January, how time flies. Wife asked what color it was, told her it was red like she specified. She didn't see the humor in that.
    IMG_20210930_083329.jpg

11. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

That is great you are making progress , and friends are so important .

High test 63, LAROKE and alanp561 like this.
  12. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Received my HAMB decals…. Got busy right away. D6E01079-7083-4F8E-A734-D2D3E89C563D.jpeg

guthriesmith, 40two, Joe Blow and 8 others like this.
  13. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

Well I am glad this task is completed. I worked through hooking up my Postal jeep shifter. My driving force is to buy as little as I can and use on hand parts and build/fab all that I can. So I modified a stock shift bracket by adding a arm to it. Bent up and threaded a puce of 3/8 stock to get the angles correct and allow full shifter travel so all the gates worked. All the other bits and pieces I had. End result is a smooth working shifter studebaker build 004.JPG studebaker build 005.JPG studebaker build 006.JPG

14. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Installed a 2 dollar NOS voltage regulator on the 65 Mercury and it worked,should have bought all they had at that price but only got 5.

15. pretty simple, but a pain, I am adding washers under my 51's seat mount bolts to raise it about a 1/4". The seat is a tiny bit too low for the front-rear adjuster pull cable to allow enough forward movement. The cable drags on the carpet and gets hung up. The seat was out when the car was repainted, and reinstalled without all the washers I had previously installed to make it work right.

[​IMG]

16. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There should be an “S” hook about the center of the seat to hold the cable up off the hump. Mine had a steel rod which was way better to get the passenger side to release. looks great. Good luck

TA DAD, Russ B and alanp561 like this.
  17. ken bogren

ken bogren

That's a good looking seat!

Russ B likes this.
  18. 34Larry

34Larry

Weather, dark nasty clouds and heavy rain keeps mine in the shop through the winter months, and Washington law forbids me to drive it in the rain, ( I won't anyway). So for the foreseeable future it will get started once a week, tires checked on occasion and dusted off once a week. When and if the sun comes out, I'll "take it for a spin around town and call it good". For those who don't know our winters here are very mild compared to a lot of other states, mostly in the 30's to mid 40's with the next six to seven months being very wet and rainy.

TA DAD, Lil32 and Joe Blow like this.
  19. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

Installed a pair of coat hooks. That's right - not a typo.....got tired of going to an event (or anything else) and having coats, hats, sweatshirts etc. all over the seat. Found a pair of 30's/40's brass Pullman railroad car retractable coat hooks to hang crap on. Cleaned them up, cut them down (they were recessed and had a 3/8" lip around them), installed new springs and stuck em on.

DSC01203.JPG DSC01270.JPG DSC01208.JPG

simplestone, TA DAD, 40two and 8 others like this.
  20. Nothing, I haven't even seen ether one of them today, pouring rain and in and out of the Doctors (plural) offices, I've been playing human pin cushion today.:rolleyes: HRP

Last edited: Oct 6, 2021
    TA DAD and Lil32 like this.
  21. Drink some fix a flat Danny :D hope all is well

High test 63 and Lil32 like this.
  22. squirrel

squirrel

I took a picture of the odometer, before I moved it from one side of the garage to the other (to make room for working on my new slightly OT Dart).

odometer 29k.jpg

23. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

It`s a reproduction Glide seat.

24. Lil32

Lil32

finally solve problem,coil was not working at 100%
    new coil in last nite,timed MSD,and reset 600 Holley
    fired up and went around suburb,all OK
    DSCN4136-1.JPG

25. LAROKE

LAROKE

From the BillyBob Shop log

October 7th 2021 My back, since it popped, allows me to pick up very little, unless it is straight up. No veering off vertical axis permitted. I needed a way to move things like cylinder heads, crankshafts, transmissions and the like around the shop and the engine hoist is too big. With that in mind, I ordered a small 300 pound motorcycle lift. It will do nicely for most items.

The care package from Matt Martin arrived with nailhead valve guides and other engine goodies. I'm getting close to taking a day off from my office job and heading out to my friend John's place. Beer of the day was Millstream Brewing Company's Back Road Oatmeal Stout. Background music was The Marshall Tucker Band.

[​IMG]

TA DAD, charleyw, Joe Blow and 8 others like this.
  26. ..................."Heard it in a Love Song"...classic!.

So sorry to hear of your back issues. I know that pain all too well. Good luck....Don.

TA DAD, Joe Blow and LAROKE like this.
  27. Found some stuff in my '47 when I got up to the garage today; really trying to resist unwrapping it until I get home.
    IMG_20211007_114452.jpg

TA DAD, Joe Blow and Lil32 like this.
  28. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Brought the new/old Vette from the shop home to meet the other Vette, first time they've been introduced. So far they are getting along. Pulled the heater core out of the '56, lubed a few things, put in a coolant recovery bottle.

Then, I drove it over to help a damsel in distress. Funny story: A bachelor friend of mine met some gal at cars and coffee months back and has been dreaming and babbling about her ever since. Then a few days ago a local shop gave her my number as she needed help with her sidecar rig (I have a couple). She sent me a text with this photo, and I realized from his description it was the gal my friend is infatuated with. So I texted him the photo. Took about 15 seconds for my phone to ring. I let it roll over to voice mail, which he again babbled into, just to let him stew awhile. I have to go back over there tomorrow, I expect he's parked down the street waiting for me to pull out. :)
    20211007_092404(1).jpg Untitled.jpg

29. Got the bars home; now I need to find the clips, give the stainless vertical bars a quick clean-up buff, and see if I can remember how to get it together again.

Question; Is it a good or bad idea to paint the bottom of the bars; clean & plated; but quite pitted?
    IMG_20211007_213338.jpg

High test 63, TA DAD, Lil32 and 4 others like this.
  30. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

Rebuilt and cleaned up my rusty old M/C.

DSC01196.JPG