Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1934 5 window coupe chop - race car build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fgnailhead34, Feb 17, 2021.

1. fgnailhead34

fgnailhead34

Haha. It will come through the hood. I didn't have the correct intake or the top plate that the carbs sit on so I'm hoping once I put those on then I will be through the hood. The setback is more drastic than I thought it would be but having the scoop come up right before the cowl was the goal.

loudbang likes this.
  2. One thing that's really something to pay attention to when TIG welding is the gap between the panels you're welding together. Get it as tight as possible. Doing so will require more attention to detail when cutting and fitting the pieces together before welding, but it helps the welding process immensely.

fgnailhead34, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  3. fgnailhead34

fgnailhead34

Thank you!

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  4. fgnailhead34

fgnailhead34

Motor is almost together. Should be enough to scare me for a while :)
    34 coupe motor 6.9.21.jpg

5. fgnailhead34

fgnailhead34

Been slow going on the 34. Between moving houses, work, and trying to get the 40 ford pickup that my dad and I finished last year out to as many shows as possible it hasn't left much time for the race car. I am slowly accumulating some of the parts needed and was able to finish up the motor minus the carbs. I bought a powerglide and then hooked it up to the motor and stuffed it into the car to figure out where I am going to mount it. With @Marty Strode help I cut out some tabs to weld to the frame for the mid plate and front plates and then cut out some aluminum for the front motor plates. I am still working on ideas of how I am going to hinge the hood. With the hole for the scoop and the motor set back so far, it doesn't leave much room for the center strip to hold the hood together in the back. Want to run a stock hood vs a one piece so I imagine zeuss fastners may be the answer. Also picked up the wheels from American Rebel and excited to get them mounted and on the car! Hopefully I will really start making some headway soon.
    34 motor mock up(1) 7.21.21.jpg 34 motor mock up(2) 7.21.21.jpg IMG_5901.jpg 34 motor mock up(3) 7.21.21.jpg IMG_6257.jpg

6. loudbang

loudbang

NICE wheels!!!!

7. The37Kid

The37Kid

Great photo of the '40 Pickup, always enjoy seeing landscape backgrounds. Bob

kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  8. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I caught him in action, sawing out some motor mount plates, here yesterday. IMG_7419.JPG IMG_7420.JPG

brEad, kidcampbell71, swade41 and 3 others like this.
  9. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Love the wheels and the huffer.

What are your plans for the hood? A 4 piece still works even with a giant hole in it if that's what you wanted.

-Abone.

kidcampbell71, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  10. fgnailhead34

fgnailhead34

I am going to use the 4 piece hood and cutout a hole large enough so the hood can hinge up like stock but I am thinking I may put a zeuss fastner on either side of the hood hinge bracket in the back. Who knows I may just cut a small piece of the center strip and hook it up back there and that might be enough.

11. fgnailhead34

fgnailhead34

Little by little. Front motor plate and mid motor plates are in and bolted to the frame mounts. Motor is buttoned up and supported in the car. New wheels and tires mounted and back on the car. Need to get some holley carbs and the scoop sitting right where I want it before tackling the hood. Leaning towards a one piece top for the ease of lifting it off and on and I'm a little uncertain whether cutting a hole large enough for the scoop in the original hood will work. Looking forward to having all the sheet metal back on the car! Only to take back off again :)
    IMG_6538.jpg IMG_6539.jpg

brEad, bymanr, brando1956 and 10 others like this.
  12. fgnailhead34

fgnailhead34

Well, I was fortunate to come across and be able to purchase a motor with a bit more cool factor than a blown small block. This 392 hemi was being built for a man named Stan Wilson who raced a T altered locally here in Oregon called the "Altered Swinger". He unfortunately passed away in 77' at Mission raceway in Canada when his car hit a guardrail. I have a notebook with information, specs, and notes from all of those involved with the build of the motor . Attached is an old picture of the motor along with some photos of it now as I get ready to mount it in the 34 coupe. Somewhere along the line the Donovan valve covers and fuel tank went missing. Feel very fortunate to be able to put this motor back to it's intended use. Hopefully those who were involved and helped build it are smiling down :) 392 Hemi at home 10.4.21.jpg 392 hemi spec sheet 10.4.21.jpg 392 hemi old picture 10.4.21.jpg

brEad, bymanr, tomkelly88 and 13 others like this.
  13. Just checking in on the progress.

14. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice score on the Hemi. It will fit right in there...

-Abone.

15. fgnailhead34

fgnailhead34

Motor teardown is in full progress. Need to check everything out since the motor has been sitting for quite some time. Pretty wild seeing the domes of the pistons. 12:1 compression should make this thing run. 392 tear down(3) 10.18.21.jpg 392 tear down(2) 10.18.21.jpg 392 tear down 10.18.21.jpg 392 tear down(1) 10.18.21.jpg

brEad, bymanr, shortypu and 3 others like this.
  16. fgnailhead34

fgnailhead34

Been awhile since my last post but progress is still happening. Motor had a little problem. When I turned it over, the valve was hitting the piston so I'm guessing the piston will need to be fly cut to create clearance. It is now in the hands of a very capable engine builder(not myself) :). In the meantime, I got the wood back in the car, the garnish moldings needed to be cut down and @Marty Strode had a plastic hemi block that I was able to use to mock up the motor. First round of motor mounts I measured incorrectly and had the motor sitting way too low. So I became a frequent visitor to Strode Enterprises to find aluminum and build new motor plates. Lucky to have him as a resource. Finally got the motor where I want it and finished welding up all the garnish moldings tonight. Ordered rear brakes and shocks so things are coming together. Goal is to race it in the summer. Lots still to do but it's coming along. Garnish molding work 12.9.21.jpg Garnish molding work(1) 12.9.21.jpg Motor placement take 2 12.9.21.jpg Motor placement take 2(1) 12.9.21.jpg Motor placement take 2(2) 12.9.21.jpg Motor placement take 2(3) 12.9.21.jpg

Attached Files:

brEad, brando1956, shortypu and 9 others like this.
  17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sinister..Just Sinister...this will be one Hotrod with major attitude...

brady1929 and fgnailhead34 like this.
  18. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That little car is fucking awesome.

-Abone

fgnailhead34, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  19. F-head

F-head

Wow love it hope to see it at Riverdale next summer

Stogy, fgnailhead34 and loudbang like this.
  20. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Lucky to not only have Marty as a resource, but a close by resource too!

21. The37Kid

The37Kid

NICE! Glad you didn't have to cut the hood, HEMI fits much better.

Bob

22. I like the picture with Bob's Big Boy overlooking the hemi assembly!

Badass looking build!

23. Awesome build! can't wait to see more.

fgnailhead34, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  24. fgnailhead34

fgnailhead34

Working on a few different little things with the car when the snow allows. Took a couple spring leaf's out of the front to get the stance more to my liking. Picked up some 1/8" dark red plexiglass and cut out the quarter windows and a piece to cover the top insert. Need to make a metal template for the inside of the grill so I can have something to drape the plexiglass over when I heat it up to create the peak in the grill. Never played with plexiglass before so I'm sure this will take a few attempts. Built some radiator support rod mounts since the firewall is now removed and had to cut apart the passenger door window garnish to make it fit better because I knew it would be something that I would only notice and would always bug me :). Started to mock up some ideas for louvers since I am taking the hood and decklid to a local guy to punch them first week of Jan. Also bought myself a Christmas present! Donovan 5 rib valve covers. Hope everyone had a good Christmas and are preparing for some burnouts in 2022! Outside shot 12.24.21.JPG Plexiglass quarter window .jpg Radiator support rod fab 12.26.21.jpg Radiator support rod fab(1) 12.26.21.jpg Donovan 5 rib covers 12.26.21.JPG

brEad, bymanr, tomkelly88 and 11 others like this.
  25. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was hoping you would do some sort of cool grille treatment. Red plexi-glass will be perfect.

-Abone.

26. fgnailhead34

fgnailhead34

27. fgnailhead34

fgnailhead34

Back on it with the 34. Son had pajama day at school and dad took the day off to start building a rollcage :). @Marty Strode the wizard is teaching me all his tricks with measuring, bending tubing, building floor diagrams, and coping round tubing. Been quite the fun experience. After some deliberating we decided to go with a funny car cage to make this car as safe as possible. The main hoop going from front to back we made a little wider than normal as I've had a few requests from some of my car club members to make sure I make the roll cage wide enough for them to fit in the car :). One club member, Robbie Davis, had to come up to check progress to make sure he could fit!! Anyway, we are having fun and making some progress. Back at it today! Rollcage 4.8.22.jpg Rollcage(1) 4.8.22.jpg Rollcage(3) 4.8.22.jpg Rollcage(4) 4.8.22.jpg Rollcage(5) 4.8.22.jpg Rollcage(6) 4.8.22.jpg Rollcage(2) 4.8.22.jpg

28. The37Kid

The37Kid

[​IMG]

Like that photo, they used to build INDY cars that way, chalk marks on the floor.

Bob

29. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Thanks to Marty for showing your car in his thread. But it further confirms that I should take up butterfly collecting or stamp collecting, or some other hobby. Beautiful job. Really nice the switch to the 392. The combination just looks right.

Stogy likes this.
  30. fgnailhead34

fgnailhead34

@Marty Strode Took these 2 photos. Pretty cool how it's coming together.
    Inside rollcage 4.10.22.JPG Inside rollcage(1) 4.10.22.JPG

slayer, brEad, Shadow Creek and 5 others like this.