Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Lost another HAMB member Rich Fox

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jimmy six, Oct 2, 2021.

1. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks, Yes I can imagine something capable of 400+mph would have a very healthy set of lungs...

Welcome to the world of Tinnitus and worse...protect what you haven't lost yet...

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ha. Too late. I have had Tinnitus for over 30-years.

Thor1 and Stogy like this.
  3. Fordors

Fordors

The photo is dated 1989 and it is of Gary, he lost his left arm in a motorcycle accident and you can see his empty left sleeve. He passed away in 1994 having been active in helping at land speed events for a number of years.
    Wally Parks (onetime HRM editor) had initiated a ban in Petersen magazines on publishing drag cars and events that were not running at NHRA sanctioned strips but I learned of and followed Gary’s career as much as I could in other magazines. His Modified Roadster running a fuel 300” hemi was bad ass. Often out classed yet Gary always made sure the other racers knew he was there with his strong performance. RIP Gary.

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

@gimpyshotrods

Can/will you identify the fellow pictured in your post #81?

Ray

gimpyshotrods and Stogy like this.
  5. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Damn. Father Time just keeps chipping away at the HAMB brain trust. Rich was an important part of it and will be missed.

6. One of those members, whose posts .. that I enjoyed "soaking in". Mechanical magical, and vice versa. Behind the curtain was his front and center stage. An amazing engine builder.

:(

Prayers and positive thoughts to his family and friends.

chryslerfan55, Thor1, Lil32 and 4 others like this.
  7. buffaloracer

buffaloracer
    from kansas

Always enjoyed his posts and admired his work. Pray he is Heaven and the salt is hard and smooth.
    Pete

Thor1, Lil32, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I will look when I get home.

Hard to tell on the tiny screen.

Stogy likes this.
  9. PackardV8

PackardV8

Rich was the guy we all wanted to be; he could and did do it all. I was fortunate enough to work with him on his Packard V8 project and the subsequent Lincoln Y-block project. We spoke a couple of weeks ago when he called to say goodbye; a class act right up to the end. Love you man.

jack vines

rod1, chryslerfan55, Thor1 and 12 others like this.
  10. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I was just wondering if the photo is of Rich Fox or perhaps you…….you know, always nice to put a face with a name….;)

Ray

Thor1, gimpyshotrods and Stogy like this.
  11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just realized that the mobile site doesn't show the post number!

If you mean the dude in the hat and sunglasses in front of the Flashpoint streamliner, that would be me, in a rare selfie.

Thor1, Desoto291Hemi and Stogy like this.
  12. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

I had an old buddy who was also a retired United machinist. He got into cabinetmaking as a hobby- we had another buddy who was a "wood butcher", a building superintendent, who would go ballistic when our machinist bud started measuring wood with his micrometers

13. young51

young51

I always liked Rich's posts here and was proud of our Bay Area connection, even more so that we went to the same High School decades apart. 25+ years ago I had a 51' Henry J with a 6 cylinder in it and it had a weepie head gasket. decided to replace it and couldn't find one of course. A friend of a friend contacted Rich and he goes "tell them you need it for a 60's-70's Jeep 6 cylinder. Sure as shit it fit perfectly. Not a lot of guys around with that kind of knowledge..he will be missed.

14. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Yes, that is the one! Thanks……

Ray

gimpyshotrods and Stogy like this.
  15. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

That is really sad news. His posts were always a great read. My condolences to all of Rich's family and friends. RIP.

Thor1, Lil32, HEMI32 and 2 others like this.
  16. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Gimpy I use mobile a lot and I thought similar and I discovered if I put my rotate feature on and rotate that and some other information shows up...

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  17. The37Kid

The37Kid

Always enjoyed reading his posts on the old 4Bangers. Don't know why he painted the blocks yellow, but you know it was one of his builds as soon as you saw the photo. Rest in Peace, condolences going out to family and friends. Bob

18. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

Rip Rich you were a wealth of information and very helpful when I had questions about bangers so sad to hear this

Stogy, Thor1 and gimpyshotrods like this.
  19. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A sad day. A brilliant and clever human.

Stogy, Thor1, Lil32 and 1 other person like this.
  20. So sad. I never met him in person, but always read any post of his because it would be filled with valuable information. He did amazing things.

21. Like was posted.....no longer in pain.....thanks so much for enlightening this bunch !

22. y'sguy

y'sguy
    from Tulsa, OK

Sad news indeed. I always read his posts for his expertise. Would have loved to meet him, but never got the chance. I have always been impressed with his y-block head adaptation on the Plymouth 4 cylinder with half of the y-block Hilborn FI. I really want to see that engine at the Speedway museum sometime soon.

23. Rich's Studebaker Lark:

Rich Fox' Studebaker Lark.jpg
    image from the @RichFox archives

24. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

I just found this thread. I did not know that RichFox had passed. We never met or spoke personally.
    " Do the best job that you can and let the chips fall where they may. "
    If he's listening, he knows what I mean.

Stogy likes this.
  25. 402BOSSMAN

402BOSSMAN

God Speed

rod1 likes this.
  26. T. Turtle

T. Turtle

This is sad news indeed. I did not know him but his posts were always full of fascinating information and the power he managed to extract out of obsolete engines was out of this world. Condolences to his family and friends.

27. drumyn29

drumyn29

I just saw this, I loved him!

28. Just a bump of this tribute to @RichFox … on what would have been his 80th Birthday