Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Rustoleum “machine gray” where did it go!?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by drew1987, Oct 3, 2021.

1. drew1987

drew1987

Hello

I can’t find any info about this - rust oleum’s good old machine gray is gone. There is now smoke and charcoal gray; neither seems to be a match to the old machine gray that’s been around forever.

Why am I posting this here? Because beside you guys being the best people on earth to ask stuff like this, it’s what the previous owner of my ‘50 used for the interior! Wanted to touch up my window surrounds, lower my rear view mirror (car drags it’s butt a bit and I look 1/2 at the headline or straight at the street)

and I wanted to add a lower dash. My climate control (factory) just mounts under my dash, and so does my radio (aftermarket). I was going to fav a small lower dash and make all that “flush” as well as build a custom retractable cup holder (not traditional maybe but they’ll look old and it’s my car my way). Just a clean look in the cars I’ve seen it done to. I don’t want to repaint my whole interior

Anyone have any idea where it went ? Or if it’s still made, where I can get it?
    Walmart Lowe’s hone depot etc doesn’t have it

2. That says out of stock. Better google again.

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  3. An automotive paint store can mix it in cheap equipment paint

4. indyjps

indyjps

Checked my shelf, turned out to be rustoleum smoke gray. Swing and a miss.

5. And to finish bumming you out, there's no guarantee that the current 'machine gray' (if it exists) will be the exact same color as the PO used....

catdad49 and XXL__ like this.
  6. wraymen and TrailerTrashToo like this.
  7. Last edited: Oct 3, 2021
    TrailerTrashToo likes this.
  8. Deuces

Deuces

The paint has to be OSHA approved.....
    All our Bridgeports were recently painted with that Grey enamel paint.....

wraymen likes this.
  9. catdad49

catdad49

On the Rustoleum site under the High Performance paint , they list both a light and dark machine gray. Check it out, Carp.

10. XXL__

XXL__

Cavalier replies had 2 seconds invested. I should have spent 30 minutes and served it up on a shinier spoon. I mean... Google is right there... but we got a whole thread out of it.

/cavalier#3

Beanscoot likes this.
  11. kevinrevin

kevinrevin
    from East Texas

Cavaliers are too late model to be spoken of on this forum. ;)

12. Three tries a charm. ;)

13. gene-koning

gene-koning

Seems a lot of Rustoleum colors have changed from what was available even last summer. Two of our local stores that handle Rustoleum paint had empty shelves for several months, unless you wanted black, or white. Now that they are getting some other colors back in, nearly all have different names and look to be a few shades different then what was available before.

14. bobd1976

bobd1976
    from Illinois

I just went through this looking for Rustoleum hammered light blue. Not available anywhere even to order. I called Rustoleum and spoke to a very knowledgable and friendly person. He told me that some of their products have been on backorder since January and no idea when it will be coming in. I had to have this specific color to match a half finished project and ended up buying 3 aerosol cans of that particular number , paying $30 dollars per can on Amazon! Ouch

Last edited: Oct 4, 2021
  15. 1ton

1ton

Like catdad49 said. They always stocked both a light and dark machine grey. We always used the light grey with hardener when painting rebuilt machinery. Without the hardener the coolants used in the machining processes would often cause the Rustoleum to wrinkle and peel.

Deuces likes this.
  16. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

17. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

To make gray paint simply take a quart of white mix a little bit of black into it and you can make any shade of gray that your little heart desires

Deuces likes this.
  18. The latest episode of Hot Rod Garage they did a whole engine bay with machine gray, not sure on the lead time for filming but can't be that long ago.
    As far as Rustoleum changing things up, I can attest that "gloss white" isn't really glossy anymore, I think when I searched it they now have "high gloss" which must be shinier than gloss lol 20210516_133155.jpg

19. 57Fury440

57Fury440

Mixing gray paint is not that simple. There are warm grays and cool grays and they will look very different.

indyjps and XXL__ like this.
  20. drew1987

drew1987

Wow guys thank you

For some reason my alerts didn’t let me know y’all replied and I came back to check and I appreciate all the responses. I never thought to have it take. I can just being my glove box in to my paint folks. I shoot with a devillebliss but didn’t buy it till I proved to my self I could get good results with a $13 harbor freight gun! Did a couple $10,000 used cars (like an avalon fender and a CRV hood) and couldn’t tell so I got a nice gun. Now I’ve got a hand full of cheapies / I’ll try this!

Still. Strange a color Probly 50 years old is gone. Blame my generation. Smoke : charcoal is more marketing than dark/light machine. Blahhhh.

Some day my 50 will get all repainted and when it does I think the dash and window surrounds till be the same green as the roof rather than the gray