Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Flat head yes or no?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 5wcoupehunter, Sep 27, 2021.

1. RodStRace

RodStRace

Title suggests you are looking for opinions. Boy did you get some!
    So here is one more - I come from a place where time and money are limited, and driving them is as much or more fun than building. You are probably different, that's just where this is coming from, okay?

Given a choice between sourcing, buying, fitting and installing a different engine, transmission, drive line, wiring, cooling, and strengthening the frame for probably 10K+ and at least 6-12 months of work OR swapping the trans to make this much more usable, it's going to be the latter. This is especially true if you also have another Model A that has been heavily modified and scratches that itch.

If you are the kind of guy that must keep modifying and making it your own, price out a car that is much closer to your 'finished' vision, and check into selling your current car and applying the costs to change it to that vision. Having one that just needs minor changes and down time makes more sense to what I'd prefer and allows you more time and money to refine your vision. Prices overall and for cars in particular have really gone up recently. Sourcing parts has gotten tougher at the same time. Tearing something apart to make big changes is a loosing proposition until it's back together and running. Even then, it rarely doesn't net a profit. If it did, you would see a business on every corner doing it to turn a profit.

Some people dig the build more than driving. If that's the case, start with one that needs everything and build it your way from the ground up or someone else's abandoned project that is worth less than the sum of it's parts. Again, time and money ahead.
    These are conservative in approach, trying to save the most time and money and to avoid digging too deep a hole. If you are a gifted fabricator with shop space and deep pockets, I seriously doubt you would be asking us for an opinion. You would already know what you want and just dive in.

edcodesign, alanp561 and The37Kid like this.
  2. Budget36

Budget36

Well, OP does have a few cars to drive during the downtime.
    If a swap takes a year or two, he’d still be styling in the meantime.

3. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

o_OBut then you've got the equivalent of a Shay:confused:

4. Roothawg

Roothawg

Caddys rule. Nuff said.

5. Roothawg

Roothawg

What motor are you running in your coupe in your avatar?

6. RmK57

RmK57

I think he mentioned a blown 363 sbf.

5wcoupehunter likes this.
  7. The37Kid

The37Kid

How so? IF you have normal eyesight a Shay can be detected from across the street, shit on wheels. Adding an overhead to any Model A and changing the transmission goes unnoticed with normal vision and a full closed hood.

Bob

X38 likes this.
  8. guy1unico

guy1unico

If you have a flathead , I have 2 in 2 EFV8s they are not easy to find parts for on the road. You have to take some spare items (I have a list of 10) with you....if you want a great traditional car then go Ford all the way and most the time that means flathead power.
    If you trailer your car to shows definitely go with a flathead V8.

The37Kid likes this.
  9. 5wcoupehunter

5wcoupehunter
    from FLORIDA

There's two coupes in my avatar, my brothers with a small block Chevy, and mine with a small black Ford.

10. tjm73

tjm73

I like this car as is with a Flatehad V8.

5wcoupehunter likes this.
  11. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Not to mention the irony of complaining about how not traditional this site is while simultaneously running a SBF/T5 combo in a model A. That running gear is more suited for a Fox-body forum.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  12. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

My avatar has a flathead, T-5, 9" w/3.70:1 & strolls along at 60mph at 18-20 RPM! IMG_0171.JPG

Jerry White likes this.
  13. Roger Loupias

Roger Loupias

God, I love those gangster whites.

14. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Beautiful "Uncle Daniel" A bone!!!! If you want more reliable service, install a SBF & 4 spd trans. & 9 inch rear end.
    Out on the road its better to have updated parts to contend with. I did, over 300,000 miles ago.----Don

Lil32 likes this.
  15. ratfink56

ratfink56

Are you sorry you asked?

Bandit Billy and Budget36 like this.
  16. Jerry White

Jerry White

Having a lot of trouble navigating this web site in order to reach the seller. Interested, let's talk. Ralph White [email protected] 925 980-3120

17. Jerry White

Jerry White

Hope to hear from the seller.

18. 47 Ford & 51 Ford Woodie both with flatheads... but running a 36 3w with 283 sbc.. way happier

19. Jerry White

Jerry White

Trying to reach you. Sent several messages. Are you receiving them? Haven't heard back. Like the 34 Roadster. Get back if it's still available? Jerry White 925 980-3120 [email protected]