Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Paint Gun Help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pigIRON63, Nov 30, 2020.

1. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I don’t care for the gravity feed guns. Tried one, just couldn’t get use to the weight being above my hand instead of below it.

I had a great HVLP siphon gun, that is until my son used it and didn’t clean it. Ended up trashing it. One I have now is HVLP, but not as good as that first one. I’ll be buying another before my next paint job and this one will be primer only. Would love to have a name brand, but will probably just buy another off brand. I’m just a hobbyist, not a pro, so no need for me to buy pro stuff.

ekimneirbo likes this.
  2. Almostdone

Almostdone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Isn’t one of the biggest differences among cheap vs expensive paint guns the weight and ease of control? That is, the HF guns may spray OK, but if you want to do it over and over again a more expensive gun will be easier to use.

I’ve I only painted one car (so shame on me for posting), but I used a $180 gun from Eastwood instead of a $35 gun from HF (which I have), because the paint cost me $1,200.

charleyw likes this.
  3. j hansen

j hansen

ekimneirbo likes this.
  4. To the O.P.
    I also have used a Devilbiss. Finish Line HVLP gun for many years & it paints great. I also have a Techna Copper, but that is a bit more money for a "once in a while" painter. I have seen dozens of positive feedback on the Tamco paint group I belong to for the H.F. Black Widow gun usually you can get them on sale for $149.00 with a coupon. They come in HTE with a 1.3 tip & HVLP with a 1.7 tip. I would recommend the HVLP version IF if is going to be your only gun. You can shoot anything with a 1.7 but you will never get high build primer to come out of a 1.3 without thinning the crap out of it...Kind of defeats the purpose of "high build" For that low price, I am thinking about buying the HTE version just to test it out.

God Bless
    Bill
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ar-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

Bangingoldtin and ekimneirbo like this.
  5. Mark Stratton

Mark Stratton

If you want the best chance of a perfect paint job than only 2 brands come to mind. The Iwata guns are hard to beat and look for the 1.2 - 1.4 tip guns. Or go with Sata in the 1.3 -1.4 tip guns. One of these brands are not any better than the other, they are both awesome!!!!
    Budget restrictions???? Then find any gravity feed gun that is a Iwata or Sata knockoff in a 1.3 or 1.4 tip.
    If I can help answer questions for u I would be glad to do it

6. southcross2631

southcross2631

When I had my shop in Florida I had an old time body man who's dad owned a body shop so he grew up doing body work. When he started working for me he would only use his Sata paint gun.
    3 years later his Sata was in the paint cabinet along with a couple of HF guns. When it came time to spray the color he grabbed the HF gun .
    the last job we did before I shut the place down to move to Tn. was a 66 GTO convertible that was a show car and limited cruiser. We shot that car and the owner took a best paint trophy home at his first show out. It was sprayed with a HF purple gun and NAPA store paint.
    It goes to show that put in the hands of an experienced person show car results can come out.
    You can put a thousand dollar gun in the hands of an inexperienced person and the results will show.
    It's what's under the top coat that brings out a good paint job. Is the panel straight and flat? Are there sand scratches in the primer ? Did you use the right color primer for the color you are spraying ?
    Can you cut and buff the top coat without screwing it up?
    I can no longer paint because of health issues, but I learned every day from him when we worked together. This 57 shorty wagon was painted with a HF purple gun and Kirker paint. 20170801_184945_001 (1).jpg

reagen likes this.
  7. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Use your old guns to shoot weldwood glue.

8. As a genuine amateur I use HF $10 guns for rough primer. I like the Sharpe / Finex line for finish work.

9. I really do not like my finishline. The pattern is too small. It claims only a 23psi requirement which is part of why I got it. My guess is that is why it is a small pattern. I can run it off a small 25 gallon compressor but I really do not like the results. My HF purple gun has a nice wide pattern off the same 25 gallon compressor. Ive even used it off a pancake compressor with good results with thin varnishes for wood. If I get an 80+ gallon compressor maybe I'd have a different option and outcome.

Sent from my SM-A102U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Lots of favorite guns mentioned but I'm curious what separates the good ones from the not as good ones. Smoothness of the finish? Even output? I've been priming with the HF purple gun, I'll be shooting single stage black urethane topcoat with the pro guns they have at my school. For a solid single stage that'll likely be cut and polished, does it really matter?

Just Gary likes this.
  11. The nicer guns will atomize a metallic better.
    All over painting compared to doing a metallic blend isn’t the same.
    I’ve had good luck with the HF at school. But I can tell a difference on how they lay down a metallic base compared to our better guns.

12. larry k

larry k

I wanta iwata !

j hansen likes this.
  13. BJR

BJR

Like I said, I love my Iwata LP400 but I use a Finishline for primer and stuff that is not that critical.

14. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Is the Buick painted?

15. BJR

BJR

I hope to paint it next weekend.

blowby likes this.
  16. indyjps

indyjps

Auto paint solvents will likely melt the bag. Please test before trying this.

Contractor working with latex, sure.

17. indyjps

indyjps

Whatever you buy be sure to get different tip sizes. I like finishline guns, used my set a lot, bought a better clear only gun. I still shoot a lot thru purple HF guns. :D

But I'll shoot anything thru a gun. Polyurethane, Latex, Oil based house paint, Epoxy for bathtub resurface. Enough air and thinner it'll shoot and lay down. :rolleyes:

18. hepme

hepme

You got a lot of responses as to the make, type, etc. My 2 cents are to use the best you can afford, or not afford. I've used a bunch and the very best was the very best. The cost of materials just doesn't allow a $15. gun to lay it down. Buy the best and you won't be sorry. --and yes, a top notch air supply filtered right and sized cfm wise to keep up or outdo your gun.

19. SDS

SDS

I worked at a body shop years ago and used some very expensive SATA equipment to paint various things.
    20 years later, building hot rods at home, bought a DeVilbiss Finish line full sized HVLP and a Starting Line touch-up gun. Between the two, I've had great results spraying anything from DP90 primer to Del-fleet Essentials urethane.
    The touch-up gun is really great for getting into tight spots like the inside surfaces of a frame.

20. 22ABEDD3-C6A1-43C2-A6C6-11B8C27F4231.jpeg
    best “lower priced” gun I have used.
    1.3-1.5 and 1.8 tips available

21. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

The paint being applied was not latex. It was being applied to government weapons systems for the Navy. Still, I agree that it would be wise to check whatever type of bag or plastic container to see if it would work. I suppose someone could also place a metal can or a glass container in the paint pot and throw it away as well. Good point though, and glad you brought it up.:)

indyjps likes this.