Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Building My First Roadster in San Francisco

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Sep 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

^ sure! Fastest way to turn money and fuel into hot water! Lol

2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Herman says "It's not about these things it's about the experience like no other...In 1947 they were a force like no other"...

J.Ukrop, Six Ball and Nobey like this.
  3. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Yeah buddy!

J.Ukrop, Six Ball and Stogy like this.
  4. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I'm even building another one! .040" over, factory relief, nice block. (recent rebuild, but changing over to 8Ba crank & rods)
    Winfield SU-1R cam, Johnson adjustable tappets, orig. Navarro heads & 2 jugger, 94s. Mallory dist.
    Real 'go-fast' stuff...

J.Ukrop, Papas32, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  5. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Every time I see one I think of a 24 hour return from Santa Barbara to Concord in my '51 Woody. Blowing steam We collected anything that would hold water at every stop and didn't dare to turn it off. We even did a roadside oil change with the engine running dumping almost as much water from the pan as oil.
    I hope that one is as good as it looks.

Outback, Nobey, Woogeroo and 7 others like this.
  6. Did you pass through the little town of Lompoc by any chance?!

Outback and Six Ball like this.
  7. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

That adventure was in '64 and I don't remember. We took the shortest route. I do remember getting to Moss Landing a dawn and knowing we were close enough to friends that we could get help and at least have a place to stash our boards. The car died a few hors later in my friend's driveway about 3 miles from my house. The next weekend it got a new flatty that was already waiting in the garage. Should never have sold that car.

Nobey, Irish Mike and Stogy like this.
  8. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Len1.jpg
    Sorry friends for the delay. Things have been busy post-RPM, and I'm working on getting an article ready for Friday. That being said, I learned a whole lot in Santa Margarita and met up with a ton of great folks. That's my friend Len and his '28 roadster (above) that you'll be hearing more about later. RPM2.jpg
    This car was fast.
    RPM1.jpg
    And this one was one of the best races of the day. Diana Branch and the "Honey Dew" roadster ended up taking the checkered flag.

9. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Absolutely love Diana’s roadster, so cool and fast as hell!

10. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I zoomed in on the shot of the dark red roadster, and saw the " Valve Burners " club plate from Merced, it made me smile to see a cool car from the area, where I am from originally!
    Thanks for posting!

11. Everything is looking good my friend! Excited to see the 32 frame build commence!

303racer, Outback, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  12. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

Saw this in the "vintage shots from days gone by" thread and thought:

"Hmmm...I think Joey's little hot rod is right on the money."

13. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Oilers 1.jpg
    I'm about to fly home after an incredible weekend at The Race of Gentlemen in Wildwood, New Jersey. I have a long list of roadster items to work on/talk about—including the tale of that new flathead. Thanks everyone for sticking with me through this busy summer! Mel_1.jpg

14. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Hey man I’m just happy to see you being kept busy :)

Six Ball and Stogy like this.
  15. Sixtigers

Sixtigers

It's taken me over a month...but I finally made it through this thread. Joey--you not only inspire my hot rod tendencies, you make me want to be a writer. Well done, young man.

J.Ukrop, Outback, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  16. patman

patman

You need to change the title of this thread to "Building My First Few Roadsters..."

17. Nobey

Nobey

I don't know how you do it Joey, have a nice flight home and we look forward to you're flathead updates.

18. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

That thing is dialed in. That video of it smoking the tires half the track was no joke.

Yes! That car was one of the meanest on the strip. The story is that the owner is a former Pro Mod driver bitten by the traditional hot rod bug.

Thank you! I usually say that things are slowly but surely coming together, but I'm not sure how accurate that is haha

Holy smokes! Thank you so much for sharing. The resemblance is uncanny—right down to the bullet holes (?) in the doors.

Thank you so much for reading and for the kind words. It's been one hell of a journey thus far, and I love nothing more than sharing the story as it unfolds. I would like to read some of your writing sometime!

Hahah that could be arranged. Right now the count is up to 1.35-ish...

Thank you! I read this right before boarding, and I made sure to snap this picture to let you know that I enjoyed all five hours of the flight back to the West Coast. I splurged for an exit row, and boy am I happy that I did. IMG_9041.jpg

catdad49, rod1, RodStRace and 6 others like this.
  19. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Sidebar #23.9: The Hunt for the Flathead

Ever since the start of this build, there was no question that it needed a flathead V8. I love the look and sound of the ol' water heaters. Well, not long after I bought the frame, I put a post up on Instagram announcing that I was looking for a 24 stud. Just like on the H.A.M.B., the replies started coming in hot. Within an hour, I had lined up a fully rebuilt 276cid 59A with a Merc crank, Offy heads and a 3x2-intake featuring a trio of Strombergs. Deposit paid—and I arranged to pick it up at the RPM Nationals. Yep, you read that right. I skipped practice and went straight to game day.

Walking through the gate at Santa Margarita Ranch on Saturday morning, I was excited about the event. But, in the back of my mind, I was most excited about my new engine. "This is it," I said. "My first V8. And a hot flathead at that!" In my family we use the term "cautiously optimistic" when something big is on the horizon. Nothing in life is a sure shot, and I know how it feels to have things fall through.

Unfortunately, that's what happened here. It wasn't anybody's fault. After studying the engine, I pulled both of the heads and found a crack on the passenger side between two valves, right in the middle. My heart sank. I remembered reading about checking there in The Rodder's Journal, and I'm glad that I did. I let the seller know and he completely understood that I was passing. He refunded my deposit and I thanked him for bringing it out and giving me the opportunity to give it the once-over.

As you may recall, it was my goal to return from RPM with a flathead, but it looked as if that was off the table. I spent the day photographing the races, catching up with friends and enjoying everything the event has to offer. After that, my roommate/fellow photographer Michael had a fun night in downtown San Luis Obispo. If you're a flathead and/or four banger fan, you can find our event coverage here.
    000001050037.jpg
    A 35mm film shot from the starting line.

20. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

The following morning, I still had flatheads on the mind. I checked my Instagram direct messages and re-visited an offer for a 59A in Pismo Beach—less than 20 minutes from the diner where, for whatever reason, I was eating a chili dog for breakfast. I made a quick phone call and we were on our way.

Michael and I were talking tonight that this next part very may well have been the highlight of the trip. I was a little bit nervous, but that soon went away as we walked up the steep driveway to Garry Odbert's house. Out front was a chopped, full-fendered Deuce pickup with a quickchange and an overdrive—a sign that his garage was filled with early Ford treasure.

It didn't take long to realize that Garry is the real deal. A lifelong metalman, he has an unbelievable ability to bring vintage tin back from the dead. From the channeled '32 roadster to the once-crumpled '34 Ford coupe in the wings, it seemed as if there's nothing that he can't do. Oh, and he's also a SCTA record holder with his flathead Cad-powered Model A roadster that's gone 189mph. The best part? He's down to earth and happy to help.

The flathead in question was pulled from a customer's '36 Ford when he switched to a smallblock Chevy. Garry planned to use it for the aforementioned '32 pickup, but he ended up getting a hotter one with speed equipment already installed. "Check out that tag on the front there," he said, pointing to the dusty red V8 adorned with 48 chrome acorn nuts. "It says something but I can't read it." I walked over. Lo and behold, it was a rebuilder's tag from Fred Jones Manufacturing, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. Nice!

Michael and I spent the morning at Garry's. We enjoyed hearing about his past, present and future projects. He gave me a lot of great advice for mine too. A deal was struck, and he let me know that if I find any problems with the engine, I can return it for a full refund. I thanked him profusely.
    IMG_8744.jpg
    As we prepared to leave, he said he had one more thing that he figured I would appreciate. From another room, he grabbed a pair of old photo albums and laid them down on one of his metal fab tables. IMG_8749.jpg
    Yep. I hadn't seen this photo either. That's the Ohanesian Merc with the Comp Coupe that Garry's dad and uncle raced in tow. Garry's dad shaped the nose. This was taken on Q Street. IMG_8745-1.jpg
    I was pretty much speechless. As you can tell, Garry's family was heavily involved in the Sacramento hot rod scene. There's no doubt about it—a follow-up article is in order.

So that, my friends, is how I got the flathead V8 for my Model A roadster. Next up, I'm getting a '39 trans. I also may or may not have a line on a quickchange, but that's a story for another day.

21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Moving Stuff...Like a Trip back...That Track Nose Coupe is Stunning...it all is...and Old Hotrod/Custom folk...give them a Hamb fistbump for us...Goodtimes are happening...

Congrats on your evolving timewarp Hotrod adventure with so many dots connecting...

catdad49, Nobey, Six Ball and 2 others like this.
  22. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Good stuff man can’t wait to see more photos :)

catdad49, Nobey, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  23. Lakeside65

Lakeside65

Man, there went my whole morning reading through this thread. My dream is your reality for a 30/31 flathead roadster. This is all so much motivation to make that dream a reality though. Young hot rodders in 2021 doing the same thing young hot rodders did 80 years ago, that's what it's all about. I can't wait to see the new frame and V8!

24. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

A good flathead is not supposed to be that easy to find. You are living a charmed life.

Outback, Woogeroo, woodiemike and 6 others like this.
  25. 2935ford

2935ford

^^^^^
    Whatdayamean......5 barns.......3 round trips over 75 miles.....dragging back 5 flatheads to get one good one.....now that's easy! :(

Outback, woodiemike, Six Ball and 2 others like this.
  26. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was thinking the same thing, but then again it happened to me too. I didn’t know how lucky I got with mine until many months after I got it and developed a deeper understanding of these engines.

RodStRace, Outback, Jrs50 and 2 others like this.
  27. Budget36

Budget36

Hey Joey, did you get the fan/hub assembly with the Flathead? I’m not sure what’s used in an AV8, but pretty sure I have the one around that was on my ‘42 PU. As I recall it goes under the Alternator you have, bolts to that bracket and uses the lower crank pulley to spin it.

bchctybob, Six Ball and Stogy like this.
  28. RodStRace

RodStRace

Uh, because a chili dog on a cold, foggy morning (it's almost always foggy in the AM in Pismo) is the breakfast of real men on real adventures!
    One of my fondest memories of my childhood is getting up at o'dark thirty and going to the motocross races with my dad and having chili dogs for breakfast with the smell of fresh dirt, gasoline and castor oil hanging in the air.

BTW, look back over your build. You met some amazing people and had some really great adventures by tracking down the parts of this car.
    Here's an example from post #9
    "I was driving through the Sunset district of San Francisco when I came across an estate sale. Out in the driveway, there was a big bin of old electrical components. I sifted through them casually. After picking out a pile, the guys there asked me what I needed the stuff for. "I'm building my first car," I told them. "It's a 1930 Model A." They didn't believe me. I showed them a picture and, when they realized I was telling the truth, they warmed up. Later on, they asked if I could re-wire their 1957 BSA, which I may do sometime the line for some extra money."
    I hope you have had a chance to swing by and show them the car running.
    Anyway, it would be a shame not to keep an eye out for another body :D how else are you going to see something like that photo?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2021
  29. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What no sugar overload from Old West Cinnamon Rolls in Pismo?

kidcampbell71, Stogy and Outback like this.
  30. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

After a really fun night my buddy and I would each have a can of cold chili and a quart of chocolate milk. Sounds nasty but surprisingly good or maybe it was just good to be alive. :eek: