Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1932 Ford Roadster P-51

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by AULIZ, Nov 21, 2020.

1. Pontmerc

Pontmerc
    from Finland

https://www.erikoisvalu.fi/yhteystiedot/
    Aulis, i ask them if they cast me a aluminum valve covers etc and they answer, no problem.
    Might want to contact, if you havent find another alucast firm.

Stogy and nunattax like this.
  2. AULIZ

AULIZ

Im interested in that company. I need to send them e-mail.

Oskar pieced 3pc Holley/Ford 94 carbs. Looks bad, but after ultrasonic cleaning, few new seals and gaskets those are good carbs. Carbs cleaned today.

Finally 59A +060 engine is going together. I bought this engine project + another 296cid stroke engine projetct from Concord NC. Mostly parts are junk. All Rods (3set) junk, Pistonrings broken..... installed cylinder sleeves, bored and honed, also regrinded "good" crank to 020. stoker-845.jpg stoker-846.jpg stoker-847.jpg stoker-849.jpg stoker-850.jpg

Im just waiting for how much junk with 296cid engine project.
    Yesterday honed 8BA style rods. They were done that in USA, but lower holes were 4/100mm oval. When thighted all bearings stack on journals

Aulis

pwschuh, Stogy, AndersF and 1 other person like this.
  3. AULIZ

AULIZ

Sami Hartikainen "Skull Shutter Images" photographer send me few pics he shot in Luvia American car & bike meeting. I can tell You, these fotos look good to me, very good!

Aulis

stoker-851b.jpg stoker-852b.jpg stoker-853b.jpg stoker-854b.jpg

4. j hansen

j hansen

Perfect pics!!

5. Dorrssacadilac

Dorrssacadilac

Nice work!

Stogy likes this.
  6. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

excellent pictures ,worthy of a magazine feature i think.

Stogy likes this.
  7. AULIZ

AULIZ

Happy Sunday!
    Friday we drive down to Lahti city. there was one shipment, flathead engine parts, arrived from USA. One night in hotel. Saturday morning we drive 30km to Vesivehmaa airfield. FHRA arrived there street cars/mc test and tune day. totally 170 driver. I drove 4 start my historical vehicle registered 1965 GS Buick. Didn´t get 100% traction (no prep. track), but 13,55sec 98mph was OK. I know this car runs high 12, low 13´s. 401cid Nailhead Engine is built totally meet NHRA Stock rules bu Carmen Fasco and Greg Gessler (Buick grand old men). Saturday evening we drove back home approx. 300km.

Today I continue 59A +060 engine project. Headstuds, heads, intake.... Tomorrow I start to lathe Chevy SB/BB Ronco magneto to fit flathead 8BA timing cover.

Aulis

gs-149.jpg gs-150.jpg stoker-855.jpg stoker-856.jpg stoker-857.jpg stoker-858.jpg

8. AULIZ

AULIZ

Engine not ready yet, but slowly make it ready. Headstuds, Heads, intake = installed
    Magneto pieced, modified (Originally Chevy BB Ronco mag) and put together. Magneto is also tuned and installed.

Tomorrow I put together Ford 94 carbs, lathe right lenght fuel pump pushrod and install those.

Aulis

stoker-861.jpg stoker-862.jpg stoker-863.jpg stoker-864.jpg stoker-865.jpg stoker-866.jpg stoker-867.jpg stoker-868.jpg

brEad, Just Gary, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  9. SPEC

SPEC

Excellent!

Stogy likes this.
  10. AULIZ

AULIZ

stoker-871.jpg Thanks.

Carbs ready (old Ford 94). Tomorrow I lathe fuel pump shaft (59A block + 8BA fuelpump stand & pump).

Engine is for sale. 5000euro. Easy ship out Sweden, Norway, Germany, Denmark,.....
    [email protected]

Aulis

stoker-869.jpg stoker-870.jpg

Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
  11. AULIZ

AULIZ

Engine ready.
    - didn´t remember that can´t use 8BA front cover + distributor/magneto with 59A waterpumps.
    - so, I removed pulleys and installed 8BA waterpump pulleys. Those are not so "deep". That was one day extra job... but if have problems with memory --> do all twice.....
    - fuel lines done and made homemade fuel pump pushrod with hardered ends. (59A block, 8BA/Merc fuelpup stand + pump)

Next weekend I drop engine down and deliver to North. Sold engine to Oulu city, Finland.

Next need to built own 296cid engine and make some Nitrousoxide works to my Street Nova.
    This week Friday-Sunday Im in Kauhava raceway (20miles from my house). We have here FHRA Winternationals drag race, end of season race.

Oskar help me with fuel line turns and mounting. while he throw hammer outside of garage. All skills is needed.....hahaaa

Aulis

stoker-872.jpg stoker-873.jpg stoker-874.jpg .

12. AULIZ

AULIZ

Slowly back in hot rod building...

Next is my own 296cid engine project.
    Friday I washed engine block outside same time than fixed garage.
    Never seen so nice runners than this engine. I have never done so big runners (IN, EX) than somebody has made this block. Runners are exelent, seat grindings are different size. I have just try to make all sime size even not know if it make any sense.... Maybe this block has been racing use. Lifter holes have groove for racing lifters and big lift cam

Valvejobs done on Saturday.
    Oskar helped me to balance roadster front tires (You can see pic how exciteed he is! hahaa).
    This balancer I have made years ago. I have there very small clearance FAG ball bearings (C2) No seals, open ballbearings. Just wash bearings with brakecleaner and use 1-2drop motor oil. Turns very easy, no friction.
    If turn tire, its rolling easily 10min or more.
    In this case I use adapter with those milktruck wheels. Wheels have 5 x 4.25" BC. My balancer bolt circle is 5 x 5.5" (old ford).

Aulis

stoker-875.jpg stoker-876.jpg stoker-877.jpg stoker-878.jpg stoker-879.jpg stoker-880.jpg stoker-881.jpg stoker-882.jpg stoker-883.jpg stoker-884.jpg

brEad, old skoool, Just Gary and 6 others like this.
  13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great things are always happening in @AULIZ's garage...thanks always for sharing the goodtimes and careful with the hammer tossing...:eek:

brady1929 and nunattax like this.
  14. AULIZ

AULIZ

Thanks Stogy

Front tires 60gram and 75gram weights increased. Now very near zero
    If weather is good, next weekend I test drive 200-400km.
    We have rather cold here and rainy too. Winter is coming.
    I hope very cold winter, which means not so many "hang a round men" spending their time over here.

Aulis

brady1929 and Stogy like this.
  15. Super Streak

Super Streak
    from Florida

It is always good to see that you have your son working and learning with you in the garage.
    When I was young my father always had me with him on the weekends working and learning in the garage. Now I'm an old man and my grandson is not interested in cars, my son didn't want to learn either. So when I get older I'll sell my cars, tools and memorabilia or it will go into the garbage.

Stogy likes this.
  16. SilverJimmy

SilverJimmy

D8B5135C-E6DF-4521-A7A6-D6920AEDD5EB.jpeg
    You need this sign!

17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sell it...the younger generation and the older crowd will appreciate it...I've been selling a few things and you get to meet like minded folk and I have been thanked for selling the stuff to them...I'm glad it will be appreciated...

18. AULIZ

AULIZ

Thanks Sirs.
    Good sign. Earlier many other rodder spend their time in my garage. That´s not good, I was just talking,...not building. I like more work alone and listen Classic Rock.

Skills are learner slowly and many times all knowledge comes out when have more age.
    Oskar is interested in, but I have not push him to hot rodding hobby. He is asking very much how engines are work. I also show him all possible superchargers and how those work and what are differences in use (centerfugal, turbo, roots, screw.....) and of course how they use mixed combinations.

Today I finished valvejobs. also removed old cam bearings and installed new ones. Crank is also installed with new bearings. Flywheel is bolted on (Schiefer or Ambro). I use my own engines Alum. wlywheels. New 10" clucth I install when engine is ready and lifted down on floor. I tested first cylinder valves and noted that I need to cut 0.1" all valves shorter. Little extra job, but have to do it. Lifter nuts are not so tight if I screw those near bottom.

Aulis
    stoker-885.jpg stoker-886.jpg stoker-887.jpg stoker-888.jpg

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
    brEad, Stogy, AndersF and 2 others like this.
  19. AULIZ

AULIZ

Tuesday: I cut all valves, install valvetrain and adjust. I do not have timing cover and crank pulley yet, so I use flywheel for adjust valves.

Cam is Winfield SU-1a. Not "hardest" , but good sound and maybe enought hiperf for this 296cid.
    Normally I have used that cam smaller engines.
    Potvin 400 is very good cam, but not have any on stock. Rods runs like grazy and makes "middle-age ex. racer" sweat behind steering wheel.....(and then I waked up...)

This week I continue Friday. Wed - Thu Im in Industrial fair. Our company has there stand. Owner and MD want that Im there too. I hate Suit, but tomorrow need to wear it, drive south and make their day.

aulis

stoker-889.jpg stoker-890.jpg stoker-891.jpg stoker-892.jpg stoker-893.jpg stoker-899.jpg

Runnin shine, brEad, Aaron D. and 4 others like this.
  20. Nothing significant to add other than to say I really enjoy your posts.

Stogy likes this.
  21. AULIZ

AULIZ

Thank You Sir
    Finally Im continue engine project.

Rods and pistons put together and installed. 3.375" bore, 4.125" stroke.
    Mercury 4" crank which has been grinded eccentric --> little more stroke.
    Scat rods with Arp bolts. Rods and bearings are for 2" journal.

New oilpump, new pick up. Pick up is come very near oilpan floor. I modified little pick up and drilled 4 x 9/16" hole. New ripped oilpan is also glue. I never use oilpan gasket between oilpan long sides and block. Loctite 5890 is very good and enough itself when You have straight pieces. Same time strong alum. oilpan is make cylinder block stronger. Front end I use basic inc dimension grease/oil -seal. Rear end between crank and maincap 10x12mm felt. They made it to industrial use (10mm x 12 mm x 1000mm) by FAG.
    Rear between oilpan and maincaps I use cork. I cut basic cork seal material strips.

As You see, I do not have crank pulley yet, so I have marked TDC and 25dec advance to flywheel.

Today I continue with heads, intake and maybe start to put together Harman Collins magneto. Last winter "magnetoman" recoiled magneto coil. I need to put together HC and adjust it. Im gonna use same 25dec advance than all my blown or natural flatheads. Fixed advance is OK when cars are lightweight.

Yesterday I and Oskar drove roadster all over city and throw frisbee discs on track. We have rather warm weather here this week. +17dec Celcius. Need to enjoy as long as possible before winter is on.
    Aulis

stoker-894.jpg stoker-895.jpg stoker-896.jpg stoker-897.jpg stoker-898.jpg stoker-899.jpg stoker-900.jpg stoker-901.jpg stoker-902.jpg

AndersF, brEad and Stogy like this.
  22. alchemy

alchemy

Why do you drill extra holes around the pickup cup?

Stogy likes this.
  23. AULIZ

AULIZ

Pick up is touch oilpan or it´s very near oilpan bottom.
    I want to be sure that oilpump can suck oil.

24. AULIZ

AULIZ

Wednesday morning I fixed open cartrailer electric. Next week yearly inspection, all need to work and brakes are tested too.

Afternoon heads are bolted on. I use smaller bearing shims under nuts. Headnut washers are too thick.
    Bearing shims I use are 11mm x 17mm x 1mm. Good quality and hardered steel.
    Tomorrow I start to put harman collins magneto together and adjust it.

Aulis

stoker-904.jpg stoker-905.jpg stoker-906.jpg stoker-907.jpg stoker-908.jpg stoker-909.jpg

brEad, Stogy, AndersF and 2 others like this.
  25. AULIZ

AULIZ

fuelpump, carbs, headers installed.
    Magneto adjust.plate is not fit direct to magneto. Tomorrow morning I need to lathe 1/4" (height) spacer between magneto and adjustplate. Magneto coil has been recoiled. When I have put all together, I need to make rotor. I do not have harman collings rotor, but I make it using new 42-48 ford rotor.
    Normally I made rotor so that it can be turn foward or backward. When magneto is installed right position, its good that have possibility to turn rotor to show right pivot.
    Aulis

stoker-910.jpg stoker-911.jpg stoker-912.jpg stoker-915.jpg stoker-916.jpg stoker-917.jpg

Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
  26. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Always love your posts and pics. You are so meticulous in your work. Are you not concerned with the little bit of rust on the timing gear at the front of your crankshaft?

Stogy likes this.
  27. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It will be encapsulated in oil soon I'm sure...not being up on how corrosion which looks to be light surface reacts when covered by sealed covers and engaged in revolution with other gears I would suspect it would be choked of it's threat...He builds so many of these and drives them hard so I look forward to his thoughts...

28. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I get all that but as I stated he is so meticulous I thought it was out of character.

Stogy likes this.
  29. AULIZ

AULIZ

Hello Sirs
    Thank You , I see that You look my pics very good. Yes, front gear has little rost, but hardered wheels have only very light rost which is mostly brown colour. Im more worried about oil lines. Many times people are not fix those and if something dirty/shit is loosen from there (old junk) engine can be damage.
    I have those different size engine cleaning brushes.

Today I had very busy day (dayjob), only 3hours in garage.
    I made spacer between adjust.plates and magneto.

Two older men left me 1941 3w Lincoln rearaxle. I need to piece it next week. I grind wheel bearing surfaces and install there needle bearing inner rings and grind those to right dimension. Same time I change differential bearings etc.

stoker-915.jpg stoker-918.jpg stoker-919.jpg stoker-920.jpg stoker-921.jpg stoker-922.jpg stoker-923.jpg stoker-924.jpg

brEad, Stogy and AndersF like this.
  30. JWL115C

JWL115C
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Stogy likes this.