Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Flathead valve spring pressure

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rodderbilly, Sep 30, 2021.

1. Hi all hambers.....i have dubt about my valve spring pressure.....i have a Schneider 400 lift camshaft and they suggest 100 to 110 lb of pressure with valve closed...usually i read the flathead need no more than 85-90lb.......my flathead is a 8ba with 286 stroker kit...what you suggest about pressure? thanks for your help....

2. ottoman

ottoman
    from Wisconsin

Why not follow the cam grinders recommendation?

Truck64 likes this.
  3. just because in many posts from flathead builders i read not more than 85lb pressure.....

4. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Follow the cam maker's recommendations. You won't have a stock engine any more once you replace the cam and other internals with speed equipment.

rodderbilly likes this.

5. I would try to follow close to the cam recommendation,,,,for this reason .
    That cam is a fair amount more than stock,,,,,the biggest stock cam for a Flathead was .336 lift in a Mercury.
    Most aftermarket cams also have more duration as well to go with the added lift ,,,,so it would stand to reason that a little more spring pressure is needed to help keep the valves seated well .
    I’ve always felt that 100 pounds is reasonable even for a stock cam and engine .
    Also,,,,stock didn’t turn a whole lot of rpm either .

So,,,,,110 is not out of line,,,,at least IMHO .

Tommy

Budget36 likes this.