Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 28 ford, electric fuel sender

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustom2, Sep 29, 2021.

1. kustom2

kustom2
    from Missouri

Has anyone ever installed a electric fuel sender into a factory tank?
    I have a 28 tudor in the shop and customer brought in a gauge package with fuel gauge.
    Thanks

2. What style sender, swing arm or float in a Tube? This could get interesting. I can't see a visual acceptable way to do it but I have an open mind to trying.

3. squirrel

squirrel

tell him he bought the wrong part

Just Gary and Pist-n-Broke like this.
  4. Wow, flash back. I remember back in the 70's seeing a visual gauge a guy had installed. Not even sure how he did it but it was fittings in top and bottom and clear tube between them somehow. At the time I thought he was nutz, I guess I still do.

5. Drive'em

Drive'em

Ok, I did this on my old 29, 2-door sedan. I got a reguar sending unit with a tight post pattern, measure the original opening in the tank. I took it to a machine shop had them turn it to size and installed with the original gasket and nut. Worked great. Any questions PM me.

kustom2 likes this.
  6. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Id kick him. The orginal sight glass on a float is the coolest thing you can have in my book

Just Gary, Pist-n-Broke and squirrel like this.
  7. BJR

BJR

How do you hide the sending unit on top of the tank since it is also the top of the cowl?

Pist-n-Broke likes this.
  8. Sight tube, They've been in use for decades for all different liquids.
    1U940_AS01.jpg

9. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was just thinking about this. I want to retain my cowl tank, but every time I find a cool vintage dash/gauge set I'm reminded that I'm kind of leashed to the factory fuel gauge and I can't hide it or replace it.

I don't see why a unit couldn't be made that screws into the stock fuel gauge hole with a stock type bobber and a Hall effect sensor to read its position. It would be concealed behind any aftermarket dash so it doesn't have to be pretty, just flat. Then an A guy could run any fuel gauge he wanted. I think that would be really simple in theory... tooling up to make a gazillion of them for economic production, maybe not so practical.

kustom2 likes this.
  11. kustom2

kustom2
    from Missouri

12. kustom2

kustom2
    from Missouri

I was thinking of a similar solution but wanted to see if it had been done.
    The sender I have maybe too large at the rheostat to fit the factory opening.
    But as you said, with a smaller (tighter) post pattern I think it could be done.
    I expect it was a little tricky keeping the position of the float while tightening the factory nut?

13. kustom2

kustom2
    from Missouri

I was thinking of a similar solution but wanted to see if it had been done.
    The sender I have maybe too large at the rheostat to fit the factory opening.
    But as you said, with a smaller (tighter) post pattern I think it could be done.
    I expect it was a little tricky keeping the position of the float while tightening the factory nut?