Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Is this the wrong place for a new guy? Suicide front end stuff.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sixtigers, Sep 28, 2021.

1. Sixtigers

Sixtigers

So, a short intro. I've been a member for a bit, but I read more than I post. I'm 55, been doing car guy stuff for the last 40 years, but mostly late 60's musclestuff. As I've aged--and I don't know why--I'm finding a growing interest in older hot rods. A while back I picked up a 1931 coupe project, but it turns out that most of my knowledge is superficial. I don't know diddly-squat about building old hot rods. That car sits in the garage until I get some really basic and probably annoying questions answered--but I don't want to bother asking them if this board is more geared towards pro-builders. The work I see on here continually amazes me, and the amount of knowledge displayed by members is a bit intimidating. If this isn't the place for basic stuff, please let me know and I won't derail the conversation!
    So...I picked up somebody else's discarded T-bucket project over the weekend. Fiberglass bucket and turtle deck, modified model A (bare) frame. The front has been chopped off and a straight bar welded across for a suicide front end.
    From everything I've read on here, these type of front ends are not very safe. Is it a waste of time removing that bar, reinstalling the model A crossmember, and welding the frame horns back on? I don't have a front end yet, but plan on a dropped axle. I want to finish boxing the frame, but I'll need to decide on my front suspension before I do...any insight?

2. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is the right place, but I think that before you start "cuttin' and weldin'," you should come up with "theme" for the car. Get an overall idea of what you want to end up with. Maybe even post a few pictures of what you have, so we have better idea of what you're starting with. There's nothng wrong with a "suicide" front end if done right, and you will at least have to go with a "spring over"; IMHO, nothin' looks worse on a fenderless hot rod than a "spring in front" suspension.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
  3. 1. This is not a pro builder place. It's very home builder.
    2. Good you admit you know nothing. But that can be a problem with knowing how to ask important questions, so to help that, always try to include good clear pictures.
    3. Have a clear plan or idea in you head of what you want this car to be like. That will really help people help you.
    4. Don't rush into this, study and ask questions first. This will help point 3.
    5. It would be a good idea to get the Bishop/Tardel book on how to build a traditional Model A hot rod. You don't have to use it as a blueprint, but it will really get you beyond 'superficial.' It will also help you with formulating a plan and questions to ask.

4. This book, everyone here knows it:
    [​IMG]

5. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Welcome to traditional Hot Rodding!
    If the project didn't come with a title, get that ironed out first before you start building (especially if you're in CA).

X2 on what X38 said, come up with a theme and build plan. Stick to the plan or you'll be building forever. If it's 60's era theme, stick dead to it. Don't dork it up with out of place parts.

With a plan you can create a shopping list of all the mechanicals you'll need. Your budget will dictate how much scrounging and used part shopping you'll need to do.

Search out the T Bucket thread here (lots of ways to build a bucket!)

There's tons of excellent build threads by home garage builders like you.

loudbang likes this.
  6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is a slap in the face to every pro builder member on here and we have many.
    Most of us are armatures but we try to not be hacks.

Back to the original question.
    Sixtigers show us some clear uncluttered photos of what you have and point out your concerns and describe what your intent is with it and the folks on here can give you some solid ideas of what will work and meet your safety needs.
    I'm thinking you have an A frame that someone has removed the crossmember and cut off the frame horns. A lot of the hot rod parts vendors sell a replacement Model A spec crossmember that they list for 32 Ford frames to lower the 32 an inch. They aren't spendy and aren't that much of a hassle to install.
    Some vendors also sell replacement frame horns if you want frame horns. or a lot of guys used to bob the A frame horns when the ran without fenders anyhow.

That is assuming you are planning on using the frame under the A body.
    Photos of what you have to work with count a lot though .

belair, gimpyshotrods and alanp561 like this.
  7. Please! How on earth is that a slap in the face?
    I know there are pro builders here, and we all enjoy their posts and learn a lot from them. But most of us are not pro builders. You know that. There are more than 200,000 members!
    I don't want the OP to think if he's not a pro builder he doesn't belong. And that is what he was asking.

F-ONE, Cosmo49, tiredford and 19 others like this.
  8. x2

Cosmo49, 48fordnut, Blue One and 5 others like this.
  9. rusty valley

rusty valley

Suicide front ends are not necessarily all bad, its a "look', and if you like that look and build it correctly it can be a good way to go

10. And that's why it's called a suicide front suspension :D in the event of failure, the frame digs into the asphalt, catapulting you through the air! (Wear a helmet) suicide axle setup is traditional on an open wheel bucket in my opinion. I've done it MANY times. No spring in front, either spring over the axle, or behind it, which is what i always ran. Now get after it! :D

11. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Welcome to the HAMB!!! You're going to get a lot of answers to your questions, some good, some bad and you'll just have to go through them all and find what works for you. What the other guys have said about posting pictures will get you more information and a lot easier than leaving it up to us to imagine what you're doing. I couldn't have gotten as far along as I have without the people on here.

12. rusty valley

rusty valley

And...If you study some of the builds here, like famous 3window larry's coupe, or the rolling bones method it has a bracket to keep it from crashing to the ground if a failure happens. And...welcome to the hamb, And, we like pictures

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  13. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

14. twenty8

twenty8

Go back and have another read of the post. I think you got the wrong end of the stick...........

Blue One likes this.
  15. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I have built many with the front spring on top of the perch, relying on two u-bolts to hold it up. Never had a hint of a problem on the track and street, many miles. I suppose you could call it a suicide front end. I would be more concerned about the front spring hung on the wishbones, instead of connecting it to the front axle. img20201215_0036.jpg

bymanr, clem, Bandit Billy and 7 others like this.
  16. twenty8

twenty8

Jalopy Joker and Blues4U like this.
  17. rusty valley

rusty valley

follow any of @Marty Strode builds for front end info...he builds some nice shit!!!!!

Blues4U and Guy Patterson like this.
  18. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I would suggest you give a bit better idea of your general location. You might have hambers closer than you think to shoot the bull , offer a helping hand or searching for parts .

alanp561 likes this.
  19. I'd run torsion bars. Cleaner look. But that's just me. You'll get great help here, as long as you build your car the way the HAMB tells you to build it. But if you're not a lemming, and you would like to interject a bit of what you want in your build, you could be on your own. Here on the HAMB permission must be granted, because there won't be any forgiveness. Good luck with your build.

56MercMan, Elcohaulic, XXL__ and 3 others like this.
  20. Koz

Koz

Welcome to the board! I'm all about tradition and suicide fronts ends are totally cool in my book. You mentioned you have a T bucket and there are many threads on here with hundreds of examples. For the most part, nothing but some type of suicide looks right on a T. I've built dozens and never<(Knock on wood), a failure. Here's a pic of Cotten Werksmans for inspiration.

Good luck with the build and keep us posted.

Cotton-Werksman-1915-T-Bucket-002.jpg

Elcohaulic, Jalopy Joker and alanp561 like this.
  21. Paul

Paul
    Editor

If you haven't already check out the build thread index for similar year builds. Here

sko_ford likes this.
  22. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

I'm not a Pro but I'm sure not an 'armature', a rotor, maybe but not an armature!;)

23. I was leaving that one alone but thanks for the giggles this morning!

Barrelnose pickup, clem and Blue One like this.
  24. birdman1

birdman1

Toughen up, no matter what you want to do, their will be criticism, some of it (constructive). Welcome to the pack.i want to add that the hamb has been my go to place for ideas and know how. Great bunch of guys.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
    clem likes this.
  25. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

23052-1224350258-2417958f3780726486eb7b02284c64d3.jpg 23051-1224350258-323b3af74c742fa6d1597e6b2214705b.jpg
    I beat the tar outta this thing....never had a problem.

sko_ford, Jalopy Joker and unfinished like this.
  26. -Brent-

-Brent-

@Sixtigers, welcome to the HAMB and Model A Ford's!

There are all types here and all levels of talent. I'm thankful we have talented folks around here because it raises the overall skill level.

As far as suicide fronts, a few names/cars come to mind (but there are plenty more) the Rolling Bones 32s, 3wLarry 32, Salt Flats Speed Shop's 32, @Paul, @Royalshifter and so on.

Paul likes this.
  27. I would say most all front suspensions are “suicide” if a part snaps

let’s see some pics of your ride.

Cosmo49 and TagMan like this.
  28. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

[​IMG]

Cosmo49 and Jalopy Joker like this.
  29. 6sally6

6sally6

Lotsa great hot rod builders on here fer sure! I'm not one but....I sure enjoy looking at stuff built on here. (My car is from the 60's "pony car" era!:eek:)
    You'll get plenty of good advice but........try not to be thin-skinned because a few of the members really delight in "pinging" on some posts.
    Don't take it serious because THAT is what makes the HAMB group so cool!
    (always a good laugh or two every day I read it!!!)
    Pictures and your ideas is the BEST way to get started and open dialog
    6sally6