Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Trading hot rods and customs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Sep 22, 2020.

1. I would love to trade my '47 Ford for a 35-36 Ford coupe. I've made a lot of trades over the years.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  2. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

A few years ago I traded my chopped top 41 custom for a T Bird.

19780727_135553127026116_7606034420049425685_o.jpg

79229027_539798363268255_8069597581807714304_o.jpg

3. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

I traded straight up a 31 Ford tudor shell on a completed chassis for a 55 Chevy 3600 on a completed/lowered chassis. Both parties were very happy.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  4. John, when did you trade the 41? HRP

3W JOHN likes this.
  5. poco

poco
    from oklahoma

I would like to trade a 1946 ford 2 door for a station wagon or a 1954 or first 1955 pickup. See posting in cars for sale here on hamb.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  6. oddrod46

oddrod46
    from Georgia

I have traded several over the years some of which I met here on the HAMB.
    I like to trade actually because when I sell a car I just end up buying another car anyway.
    I have my 40 Ford coupe in the classifieds as we speak for 46k or trade.

Attached Files:

7. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

I Traded A Unrestored 1940 Ford Convertible For This Finished Delivery And Was Happy With The Deal.. 23669117_1931293880528217_9082159085019307768_o.jpg

8. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

When my wife and I were going all over So Cal and longer road trips, the 327 powered 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery worked just fine for the two of us. But, as life throws curves, a bump in the road caused us to re-evaluate the ability of our sedan delivery to carry the three of us around safely. I tried for several months to see what I could do to create a safe environment for the third car seat somewhere in the rear, hollow chamber.
    upload_2020-11-10_3-57-45.png
    A safety strap could have put the safety car seat anywhere in the roomy rear area. But, easy access from the passenger seat was not going to happen anytime soon. Sure, the seat folded and access would have been ok. That just put more stress on us and that was a total hassle, if an emergency happened.

So, the options were to trade the 40 Ford Sedan Delivery for a station wagon/woody. We liked and disliked the woody wagons for sale. The only one we liked was a 1940 Ford Woody Wagon. But that version was priced out of our range, even with a trade in plus cash. We disliked all of the other woody wagons, so we looked at sedans. There was no room for my surfboard in most Model A sedans or even larger 40 Ford sedans. The early racks were not the best for holding surfboards and were scratch prone on the pristine paint jobs. It wasn’t until much later that racks were made with scratching not in the picture.

Jnaki

So, our last effort was to trade the sedan delivery for a more modern station wagon, 65 Chevelle wagon or even a 56 Chevy wagon. But they were priced out of our range for what was available and time was the essence. We had to sell the 40 Ford Sedan Delivery first, as no one wanted to trade plus cash on any deal. We finally sold the sedan delivery to a young couple and in essence, bought the station wagon for the same amount, literally, making it a trade of sorts. But, it was not a 56 or 65 Chevy wagon, but a small reliable, foreign sporty type wagon.
    upload_2020-11-10_3-56-50.png
    We found out that it is in the “eye of the beholder,” as far as trades are concerned. One has a hot rod for sale for various reasons. But, does not want another one in trade, because he/she has an eye on a different hot rod and needs the cash to buy it. So goes the long stories of… “I need cash to buy… etc.” Plus, it is difficult to gauge the value of your own hot rod versus the one you want to trade for it. YRMV

LOU WELLS likes this.
  9. wicarnut

wicarnut

Back in the day as a kid I traded/bought/sold cars with great success, in later years I had my highboy roadster for sale/trade and swapped for a unfinished 32 coupe, a good trade IMO. Of late I have my Mercury for sale, would trade for right car, but today it's a unusual market again IMO, I think trades are always tough to get 2 men together to agree on mutual value and car type desired. I had a few I thought about, but paint or interior killed the deal as paint and interior work is very pricey today, mechanics/engine/driveline stuff is inexpensive IMO as I can do that myself, although at my age now not interested in a lot of work. Happy it worked for you HRP. In hindsight (mines perfect 100%) da34guy on here had a car for sale/trade that I was interested in, he offered me a fair deal and I thought about it for a few days and he made a deal with that car to someone else and I missed out. So.......... like so many things, when the right deal comes along, Jump on it. snooze and you loose.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
  10. Years ago I traded my mildly wrecked 76 Corvette for real nice original paint 70 Torino GT

11. Bloody Hell

Bloody Hell
    from Spring, TX

12. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I think it's hard to trade, especially with no cash going back or forth one way or another. People get rid of cars for a lot of reasons. Sometimes it's a thinning of the herd, at which point a trade doesn't make sense since they're taking a car back. Other times it's just working out a deal where you both like the other's car enough to get a deal done. I've been offered plenty of cars in trade for various cars I've owned over the years, and even for offers that would have been fair from a value standpoint, I just didn't want the vehicles being offered or like them enough to let go of mine. Usually it's offers of boats and Harleys (I don't ride anymore and I can't swim), but occasionally it's a 4 door classic or a less desirable year or model that I don't have much interest in. I'm also wary of folks who are too quick to give up a car, there is usually a reason as to why they want to get rid of it. I take the attitude that the devil that I know is better than the one I don't know, and trading what is a sorted, roadworthy car, even with flaws, for what may or may not be a polished turd or hot-potato ticking time bomb is not a move I want to make.

Of course other times there is a legit reason as to why a deal may make sense. Examples I can think of immediately are trading a 2 seater or rod for a full-size classic to accommodate a growing family, or trading a valuable but unfinished project for a less desirable but running and driving vehicle. Then maybe the circumstances can work out.

More often than not though, I'd rather simply liquidate, and then trade cash for vehicle if I so desire.

TrailerTrashToo likes this.
  13. Recently I offered my T in trade for a '64 Ford Galaxy 500 hardtop in running and driving condition. The owner seriously considered it, but had two interested guys showing up with cash that weekend. I am always interested in something different, and looking for my next toy... anyone have a '61-'63 T bird for trade? T for a T??

14. joeyesmen

joeyesmen

I have made quite a few trades - most recently traded my 23 T bucket for this 59 Ranchero. I had tried selling the T but they are not easy to sell -- let alone get value out of a sale. I had it sold to a guy in CA, but he backed out when he became concerned about getting it titled in CA since it is a glass body and not titled as a 1923 Ford. It was registered in WI but he was still scared. So I pulled the trigger on a trade instead.
    IMG_5896.jpg
    IMG_7366.jpg

15. When I was young and poor I did a lot of trading - 4 post bed for a 40 Pontiac coupe with an Olds engine, the Pontiac for an upholstery job in my 53 Buick Skylark, which I got by trading a Gibson electric Guitar, 53 Skylark for 2 Cords, one of the Cords for a 61 Jag Sedan, a 46 Chevy 4 Dr bump trunk for a Graham Hollywood. Right now I'd trade a 50's Triumph for Nailhead Buick speed parts.

16. joeyesmen

joeyesmen

Also traded this 60 Olds for this 55 Chevy -- then about 5 years later traded the Chevy for this 29 Roadster. All 3 were really nice cars, just depends on what your life is missing at the moment.
    DSC02917.JPG
    DSC06372.JPG DSC04576.JPG

17. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That '29 is one sweet ride but I would have had a real hard time letting that '55 go. Great taste.

18. joeyesmen

joeyesmen

Thanks. My problem is I like a lot of different kinds of cars but can't afford to have them all at once. It would be a 20 car collection. So I experience one for awhile, then exchange it for something different. There have been a few keepers over time -- and yes, I do miss that 55. Had a 5 speed on the floor too.

j3harleys likes this.
  19. old32

old32

my 55 chevy in 1985 55-1 - Copy.jpg a1 (14).jpg Capturetgytyytytytyt - Copy (2).GIF

41 coupe likes this.
  20. Ron Emerson

Ron Emerson

I am looking to swap for a completed done car. ( getting to old to bend and wiggle ) -
    1) 1935 Ford 2 door slantback, 327 /400 56 Chevy 3:70 posi rear, Super Bell front axle with disc brakes, the body and fenders are very, very nice, have all the interior panels and seats for patterns. power steering runs drives and stops, Caddy tilt and telescopic column. I have had this 35 since 1970 and has always been in a garage or in my shop now.

I can send pics to your e-mail or phone.
    I am looking for a done 35-40 ford coupe or a done 55-57 Chevy ( no 4 doors unless they are wagons ) a plus would be a 2 door wagon or a Nomad. Even if they need a little work.
    Or a cash offer . The 35 is in my shop in Clearwater Florida.
    Thanks
    Ron.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
  21. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Just a suggestion. Your location could aid in finding a trading partner.

22. pkhammer

pkhammer

I've been wanting to sell two and would certainly consider trades for either or both up or down.
    The first is a '35 Dodge pickup that has a super solid body but otherwise needs everything.
    The second is a 1964 Ford Falcon 2 dr. hardtop with fresh professional paint, no rust ever, 91k original miles with 260 V8 4-speed. Needs minor odds and ends to be road ready.
    I like pickup trucks, panels, and sedan deliveries. I love '39/'40 Ford coupes and Model A's. Definitely NOT looking for projects, only finished cars/trucks. 102_4103.JPG 102_5469.JPG

23. Ron Emerson

Ron Emerson

BTT

24. Ron Emerson

Ron Emerson

25. bob b.

bob b.
    from peoria az.

I would trade my 34 pickup running driving chevy powered for try 5 ford or chevy or?

26. 2021 40 tudor l side in da weeds.jpg 2021 black brookville left side.jpg This happened yesterday. Traded the 40 for the Brookville 32

27. Ron Emerson

Ron Emerson

28. Ron Emerson

Ron Emerson

29. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

It was 1962, we were seniors in high school and most of us had our teenage cars for several years. I was the owner of my brother’s 58 Impala and it was now a 5 year old car with some modifications, like a Racer Brown Cam/Kit, C&O Stick Hydro, some headwork, and other accessories. So, it was now the fastest car for the last several years in our neck of the woods.

But, our friend wanted a new car and he had never owned any car. We used to cruise around in his mom’s Red T-Bird and that was a different kind of fun. Now, he was considering his own car and along with another friend who owned a 57 Bel Air with the most modifications of any of our teenage cars, we all sat around and came up with several new cars that might do the trick for our friend.
    upload_2021-10-10_4-2-59.png
    “In 1961, the coolest 2 door hardtops were on the scene for us teenagers. Money was tight, most of us had our teenage cars in place, and we all went to the local dealers to look at the best of the new car options. Not only did the Chevy Impalas come with a big 409 motor, but the wait list for the most popular model the Impala 2 door hardtop was many months down the line. The 409 had 360 hp from the factory. That surpassed anything we had as teenagers and it came from the dealer, just down the street.”

“But, not only was it a powerhouse sedan, but, the cool hardtop styling was pretty nice in addition to the big 409/4 speed combination. My 58 Chevy Impala was fast, modified to win races and was my daily driver. But, after 3 years, the next step was available with the cool hardtop design. Most commonly known as a bubble top sedan. The extra horsepower and a cool 4 speed would have been the coolest and fastest in our So Cal area.”

“No, this 61-62 Biscayne did not “legally” race a black Impala for all the marbles, except for a couple of practice runs. On those runs, the Impala with the modifications and C&O Stick Hydro transmission would be out to a two car lead before the 409 Biscayne got situated and came charging along. But, seeing the 6 red taillights of the 58 Impala told him it was too late to come to the party. All fun and laughter among friends is how it stayed, until we all left for greener pastures and sold our cars to the next generation of teenagers wanting a big surprise.”

After the purchase of the red 409, the 57 Bel Air friend and I spent a lot of time with the 409’s owner. It was a whole new ballgame with so much power at hand. So, countless hours of cruising around learning to speed shift, starting at the right time in hand drops and green light actions were constantly gone over to get his tactics correct.

He was a good learner and at the end, he decided that he was not into Lion’s Dragstrip competition, but just wanted a local teenage cruiser and fast daily driver. Music to our ears. Now, we all had different variations of fast street daily drivers and it would be fun to cruise around in the So Cal teenage locations.

One night, we were talking about trading cars for the next evening. We would all drive someone else’s cars and have fun doing it. Trust is something that was earned and it happened with the situation as good teenage friends. As we were ready to exchange the three cars, but, we could not decide who’s car would be driven by one of us.

Jnaki

I wanted to be in the 409 4 speed Biscayne. The owner wanted to be in my 58 Impala with the updated powerful modified motor and C&O Stick Hydro. So, that left out the friend in his own 57 Chevy. We kept going over the rotation of the three cars. The only solution was for me to be in the 409, the 409 owner in the modified 57 Bel Air, and the Bel Air owner in the 58 Impala. At different times, we had all driven each other's cars with the other two inside each time.
    upload_2021-10-10_4-6-20.png
    As we sat around going over the rotation, we got more excited and the sound carried over to the next room. That sounded good for all of us, but the 57 Bel Air owner’s parents got wind of it and nixed the whole deal. Teenagers are not covered driving someone else’s cars on their family insurance policy. No ifs, ands, or buts... in this case.

So, other than our first encounter of teaching our friend to shift the 4 speed and control starts in his 409, being behind the wheel of the 409 was an exciting experience for me. The horsepower of the 409 was tremendous, so, the envy was growing by leaps and bounds.

Since we were all reaching the end of our high school experiences and the future was still up in the air for all of us, no mention of getting a new 1962 409 Impala was in the air for me.

upload_2021-10-10_4-8-25.png