Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 28 “Chase” Roadster

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by SlowPoke Rodriguez, Sep 28, 2021.

1. SlowPoke Rodriguez

SlowPoke Rodriguez

Let the journey begin. I currently have a 29 Special coupe chopped and that was mostly completed with all the things i almost wanted in a car. It has a 49 flathead that was rebuilt, Johnson adjustable lifter, Edelbrok aluminum heads, aluminum intake, Reds headers 12 volt conversion to alternator and pertronics electronic distributor. She has a rebuilt 39 trans, rebuilt banjo that runs great down the road. The car is open wheel with Kelsey has bent spoke wires running on Coker white walls. Most would be really happy with just this but i have always wanted a roadster and this is where the journey begins. I wanted to put a T5 behind the flathead so i found one and then purchased the bell housing and clutch setup from Speedway. A good friend and mentor had a Halibrand 101 Quickchange sitting in the back corner of his shop as well as a 28 complete roadster body that had been stored for years. I asked to buy both from him and at the time the quickchange was the only thing i could afford to purchase. He was more then fair priced for both but the roadster would have to wait. My plan was to build a frame with a rear z to lower the back of my car and then install the quickchange and open drive. As time and COVID hit i found a frame, boxed it in and completed the Z. With time on my hands i began to ponder the idea of tearing my car down for the build. One night and many beers later i made the wise decision to build another complete roller. The negotiation began on the roadster and we came to a deal.
    I decided to build the new frame for the ‘Chase’ roadster and install Flathead, T5 and the Quickchange, At the same time Mike, my friend and a mentor was removing his 1956 322 Nailhead from his next project and another deal was struck. I would use the Nailhead in my Coupe backed up by the 39 trans and banjo. I just needed to locate the bell housing conversion and flywheel. I purchased the bell housing and i am currently searching for the flywheel. I will begin the new build and try to keep the post updated. The roadster project will be my last build and my grandsons first car. I will first have many good years enjoying the roadster, my grandson is only 1-1/2 years old.

F4C8ECB8-51FD-421D-A228-1810CC42E263.jpeg F4C8ECB8-51FD-421D-A228-1810CC42E263.jpeg 760F5608-D1AB-4B50-97F1-B91AA96C28F6.jpeg

Attached Files:

loudbang, Budget36, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  2. brady1929

brady1929

I would love to have that roadster body. Congrats.

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  3. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Nailhead, Quickie and cherry survivor Roadster body sounds like a great plan.
    You're really fortunate that he held on to the body long enough for you to stir up some cash. It's to die for. I'd be really tempted to drive first (or more) season with the body as found.

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  4. SlowPoke Rodriguez

SlowPoke Rodriguez

5524EA15-E3CC-4200-A72D-8DD358BEFE32.jpeg 9DCE7857-C7B2-4246-BEA8-B013E4717EC7.jpeg

Off to the chemical dip, should be ready in a couple of week. In the meantime i better get working on the frame and mock up the running gear.

loudbang, rusty valley and Stogy like this.

5. rusty valley

rusty valley

looks like a nice project! keep us informed

loudbang likes this.
  6. SlowPoke Rodriguez

SlowPoke Rodriguez

Borrowed a flathead block so i can mock up some motor mounts and the trans mount i made. I was able to get the Quickchange installed and the ladder bar crossmember cut size, i still need to lengthen the ladder hairpins/ ladder bars. The front 4 inch drop axle is on its way after being back ordered forever. I have everything for the front end. The juice brakes and spindles, reverse eye lowered spring are just waiting. I need to get the body back before tacking in all the mounts and brake/clutch setup. I want to make sure the motor clears the fire wall. In the meantime i was able to order and get the sheet metal i need for the doors, rear quarters and the roadster wood kit. It’s like Christmas came early. The winter plan is to get all the patch panels welded in and then onto the a rolling chassis . I still need the bomber seats a radiator and gauges. Beside those items i should have a roller by summer.

Attached Files:

loudbang likes this.