Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods NV vehicle registration help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chop509, Sep 28, 2021.

1. chop509

chop509

Need help/advice on registering a ‘32 Tudor Hiboy in Las Vegas. I did a post search, but information is dated.

Car is currently registered and titled as a 1932 in CA prior to me acquiring it. Car has title matching vin # stamped into frame rail (P&J aftermarket frame). Henry Ford steel body, 94 350 sb, 700R4, 9” rear.

Went to DMV on E. Sahara Ave. for a vin inspection before going inside to register. Lady at inspection station seemed really clueless. Said the vin # on title is totally useless and they would have to issue a new # and register it as a 2021 ??? Even asked me “where are the fenders” ??? She gave me a “Affidavit of Vehicle Construction” and told me to have a NV registered repair shop inspect, complete the form and bring it back.

Seems like a headache, and from what I’m hearing, registration is a pain here.

Any locals on here that can help me with the process, or that knows the ins and outs on getting this done. I’d be more than happy to compensate you for your time if you can help me out!

Thanks

Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
  2. Maybe try Henderson? I had a VIN inspection on my Shoebox Ford (Oregon title) and Harley Shovelhead (California title). Both took a couple minutes with no problems. Seems like if your car is already titled as a ‘32 Ford they should just go with that. What a hassle.

chop509 and Dave Mc like this.
  3. Do they have title services companies in your state? Might be easier to pay a pro to do it.

chop509 likes this.
  4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The only thing I can find on Nevada fender laws is that FENDERS NRS 484.541 • Fenders must be designed not to endanger any persons or property
    I'm not finding anything else on them except that commercial rigs over a certain weight have to have mud flaps.
    Can't say on the vin unless your car has the original Ford Vin stamped on the aftermarket frame and she was sharp enough to catch it. Could be the 17 digit thing that some states computers can't wrap their hard drive around anymore. Got that with my sailboat here as the state's new computer program doesn't recognize older HIN numbers.

chop509 likes this.

5. rusty valley

rusty valley

I have no knowledge of nevada, but I would try a different place first. I once had a dmv clerk tell me on the phone that "the vehicle must be together and running for vin inspection, because they will do a safty inspection at the same time" well, Minnesota does not have safety inspections ! So, I called the state, bypassed the dumb recepionist and all went well. try another place.

chop509 likes this.
  6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some research with local rodders maybe at a cruise night would be time well spent I'd think. Not for pulling something shady but to go to the folks who are knowledgeable and easier to deal with because they aren't packing an attitude nor do they have an agenda.

I agree that certain offices (or individuals in those offices) are hard to deal with. I was in the county court house to transfer a title one day and the gal behind the desk was giving me a ration of crap and the county auditor (her boss) was there and sent her packing and took care of it herself.

chop509 and rusty valley like this.
  7. find another DMV.. with a old timer or some one that has a clue

chop509 and engineboy like this.
  8. Rramjet1

Rramjet1

At one time WA. State required inspections because it was a guaranteed title state. Heard a horror story from a guy with a 32 roadster from CA. Had an assigned number on the side of the frame but inspector found original on top of the frame. Owner couldn’t get a title for 3 years. No more inspections now days.

chop509 likes this.
  9. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

Wrong DMV office , I use Carson City ,Nv DMV without a problem as long as you have a title , it is quick and easy
    P.S. Make sure to tell them it is the orig. frame , just updated .

chop509 and rusty valley like this.
  10. engineboy

engineboy
    from NV

I bought my T bucket out in CA, brought it here to NV (carson city area) and just had a VIN inspection from the guy in the booth outside the DMV, walked in with my insurance and old CA registration and walked out with new NV reg and plates. Titled as a 1923.

No problems, no issues, no fenders.

chop509 likes this.
  11. redo32

redo32

Seeing as how it has a Henry J body it should have an assembled title. Seems a waste of a Cali title and frame for a '32 that might be worth some bucks to the right guy.

Tman likes this.
  12. "Need help/advice on registering a ‘32 Tudor Hiboy. Henry J steel body."

"Went to DMV on E. Sahara Ave. for a vin inspection before going inside to register. Lady at inspection station seemed really clueless. Said the vin # on title is totally useless and they would have to issue a new # and register it as a 2021 ??? Even asked me “where are the fenders” ??? She gave me a “Affidavit of Vehicle Construction” and told me to have a NV registered repair shop inspect, complete the form and bring it back".

Is it just me or am I the only one thinking the lady at the inspection station is 100% NOT clueless and is actually totally on the ball and recognizes your vehicle as something that should never have been titled as a 32 Ford. That would be precisely why she states the VIN on title is useless and a new VIN/title needs to be applied for. A Henry J body on a 32 Ford frame (whether original or aftermarket) is not and never will be a 32 Ford Tudor, fendered or otherwise.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
    redo32 likes this.
  13. PONTNAK123

PONTNAK123
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

go to vin inspection station at dmv on west flamingo. get there when they open at 8.00

chop509 likes this.
  14. Kinda think he was trying to say his '32 Tudor hiboy has a Henry Ford steel body.

chop509, 1946caddy and lurker mick like this.
  15. alchemy

alchemy

I also think the OP was trying to be cool and use the lingo, but he got it wrong. Henry J didn't make old Fords. I can't image the mess of a real Henry J body on a 32 Ford frame. Newbies, sheesh.....

16. Too funny :D Before I wrote my initial response, I Googled "Henry Ford middle name" to see if Henry J could be short for Henry J. Ford but apparently Ford never had a middle name. At that point I chose to assume "Henry J, steel body" meant the body on the aftermarket 32 Ford chassis was exactly that, a steel Henry J body :rolleyes:

Now both me AND the lady at the inspection station are confused :confused: