Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sunday models

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by milo1303s, Mar 16, 2014.

1. Dennis D

Dennis D

Picked up a partial original 32 AMT five window kit at a swap meet today. Is there a product that I can use to remove paint from the body and fenders that doesn't kill the original plastic? TIA, D

2. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

I was hoping someone would post something today. I have a car in
    the works that I thought I'd have finished for today. No go.

As to Dennis' question. Go to Wal-Mart and pick up a gallon bottle
    of Super Clean, the purple cleaner you may have read about. There
    are different products and home remedies that have been spouted
    about on YouTube but Super Clean is relatively inexpensive and works
    well, at least for me. I recently finished a 'vette that had 2-3 coats of paint,
    plus primer, not well done either, and I got it down to the bare plastic without
    damage. I used a tooth brush to get in the tricky spots. When you're
    finished with it, strain it and reuse it, just don't dilute the the original
    bottle, use a clear plastic pop bottle or some such beast for the used
    stuff. It works more than once. Oh, while you're at it, get a long, low
    plastic container to give the bath in. Don't be cheap and figure you'll
    just use a coffee can. That'd just be wasteful of the cleaner. Here's that
    Corvette I mentioned:

Model 190.jpg Model 192.jpg Model 195.jpg

3. Deuces

Deuces

Ditto on the Castrol Super Clean... I just picked up a gallon last week.. ;)

quick85 likes this.
  4. Dennis D

Dennis D

I will give it a whirl. Now, how to give it the same chop as my avatar!

5. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

Did anyone purchase one of these? I was doing a Google Search
    on
    Budd Anderson, The Kat From AMT, and ran across mention
    of this bobblehead. Supposedly available thru K-Mart in 2015.
    Of course there's one on ebay.

zzzzzzzThe Kat.jpg

Sancho, mchook, NHRANUT and 2 others like this.
  6. Deuces

Deuces

No but I got the sticker that came in a model kit.... I got it tacked up in my tool box at work.....:)

quick85 likes this.
  7. rudestude

rudestude

I saw the one on e-bay, was considering getting it , but it was coming from Poland?
    I backed off, I have a small figurine of the AMT Kat , must of came with a model kit, plus I have some vintage AMT decal sheets with it on them. 20210921_205818~2.jpg

mchook, quick85 and Deuces like this.
  8. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

^^ I may have that tiny bugger too. This gives me a "slow weekend"
    idea of seeing what accessory items like trophies, etc. I have and
    paint them up for snicks. Something to do, ya know?

By the way, I finished a car the other day but have to wait until
    Sunday to post it. No biggie I guess, I started it in the early '90s.
    (No, it's not spectacular)

rudestude, Deuces and Sancho like this.
  9. Deuces

Deuces

You don't have to wait till Sunday to post those pictures... You can post those now if you want....:)

quick85, NHRANUT and rudestude like this.
  10. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

Ohh yeah. Regular plastic tidbits Mon-Sat, models on Sunday.
    I would never post my auto art photos for Friday Art Show on
    any other day. I play by the rules, mister.

Deuces likes this.
  11. Deuces

Deuces

Ok, ok you win!....:rolleyes:

quick85 likes this.
  12. rudestude

rudestude

You just had to do it quick.......you mentioned the accessories and trophies thing ....of course that sent me digging .
    This what I come up with so far....look close there is even a apple pie, I figured from a old Pie Wagon kit ,but I remember the one I had years back was all molded in purple. 20210925_032209~2.jpg 20210925_032151~2.jpg 20210925_032121~2.jpg 20210925_032100~2.jpg

13. rudestude

rudestude

Found more a complete show display, trophies, stanchions, signs ...no velvet rope or angel hair. 20210922_205524.jpg

14. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

No, no, no need to thank me. You went through your boxes, dug out all
    those pieces and took stock of what you have. Now you have little projects
    to fool with during those minutes when you want to keep your fingers busy.
    They look like a bunch of Cracker Jack prizes before Jack got cheap and
    started giving out paper tattoos.

15. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

Hah! It's officially Sunday.

IMG_0313.jpg

IMG_0314.jpg

IMG_0315.jpg

IMG_0316.jpg

16. rc57

rc57

Some new candidates from Jefferson swap.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Moonglow

Moonglow

I've been building plastic models since I was 8 years old. It was a really good day when I could talk my Mom into buying me an AMT or Revell model kit at Llyod's superstore in Newburgh NY, in the 60's.

Being the 1960's many kits were "customizable". Therefore they came with extra engines (some blown), hoods, seats and even wheels & tires. The most fun was taking the leftover parts to create Frankenstein versions of downhill racers. A number of my buddies got into it too. Our across the street neighbors' brand new steep/smooth asphalt driveway was the perfect dragstrip for our competitions. We discovered that plastic cocktail straws made ideal axle housings for the steel axles popular in many of these kits. This was less about looks and more about speed.

That's when my passion for kitbashing, and ultimately scratch building, of plastic models was born. I've taken a couple extended breaks from time to time, but the hobby has never totally left me.

For several years now my scale of choice has been 1/12. Kits in this scale are quite limited, so kitbashing and scratch building are pretty much a necessity. I have other reasons but one advantage to this big scale is they are easier to work on than the 1/24 kits we all grew up with, especially as my eyesight "matures".

So now we come to my latest build known as the "Dodgy 1925 Underslung".

Interestingly enough, Mike from "This Old Hot Rod" YouTube fame's build of his Pinetree T is what inspired me to build a 1/12 scale hot rod of my own. Mike is a H.A.M.B. member too. Be sure to check out his "Pinetree T" build on YouTube. Here's the link:

I really like Mike's approach to his Pinetree T. He's building it in his driveway, with no special tools, pretty much like a kid might have done in the 40's or 50's. No laser cut parts, no 3D printing, no BS. Traditional hot rodding at its best, IMO.

So I set about looking for a basis for my 1/12 scale old school hot rod build. Virtually nothing was available in 1/12, and only a few in 1/8 (I also have one model underway in 1/8th), but these were well out of my budget ($300 to $1,500). So I slept on it.

A few Saturdays ago I had a eureka moment. I remembered the 1925 Dodge featured in Hot Rod magazine a few years back and I thought I could scratch build something similar.

I use AutoCAD every day at my job, but keeping to the "as built back in the day" mantra, I found a piece of scrape (white) mat board, took pencil and pen in hand, and by looking at photos of the '25 Dodge underslung, hand drew something similar. That was the most fun I've had on a Saturday morning I've had in a long time. I need to get out more...

But I'm getting a bit ahead of myself. The one thing I needed before I drew anything was a set of wheels & tires at the appropriate scale. As luck would have it, I just happened to have an extra set of 1/8 scale 15" wire wheels from a Jaguar E-Type. I'm building a 1/8 scale E-Type Lightweight race car from an E-Type coupe kit. I'm using aftermarket, but period correct re-pops of magnesium Dunlop racing wheels. As far as tires go, I can just resin cast them myself.

The 1/8th scale Jag wire wheels are damn close to 21" wires in 1/12. So I'll modify the Jag wires to approximate the appearance of 21" Model A wires for my project.

The rest of the build will be mostly scratch built from sheet styrene and various other household and found objects I have lying around.

Enough talk. Let's see some action...

I've completed the frame. It's laminated from walnut strips I had lying around with styrene front and back. So my frame looks like it's been boxed.

Next up will be front and rear axles, and making a set of Model A wheels from the Jags.

I'll post updates as work progresses along.

Happy Sunday Model Day,
    David

PS: The inspiration photo of the underslung 1925 Dodge hot rod is attached.

PSS: My in-progress scratch built (and heavily modified)1959 AH Bugeye Sprite race car looks on as the build for the Dodgy 1925 Underslung stable mate gets underway.

PSSS: Rules are made for breaking, especially if they're your own rules. So I inverted the color of my white and blue drawing in Photoshop to look like an old school blueprint, with white lines and dark blue background. This will become part of the final display.

_1925-dodge-brothers-hot-rod.jpg 9-26-2021progressA.JPG 9-26-2021progressB.JPG _9-12-2021UnderSlungDrawingBlue_LowRez.jpg

Last edited: Oct 3, 2021
  18. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

^^ Interesting. I never got into large scale, mainly because of a lack of storage
    and displace space, though I did build a 1/12 '57 Bel-Air for a fellow who was
    never going to finish his. The lack of storage and display also caused me to sell
    off a nice Corvette promo collection. The Dodge looks like a kool project and
    I'm digging on the Sprite. Heck, I like it just as it sits. The Bugeye has always
    been a favorite of mine. Maybe in the future you'll give us (me) a little rundown
    on it. I'm even digging the prints.

19. Moonglow

Moonglow

Thanks for the compliments quick85. I'm not sure you can see it but here's a link to the Bugeye build.
    https://www.7-8ths.info/index.php?topic=16687589.0

I'm happy with my progress this afternoon. I got the rear end mostly together. It's based on a beefed up banjo with an open drive conversion. The bolts are a bit chunky, but I'm thinking they'll look OK once painted up.

The center section is from a 3/4 copper pipe coupling. 3/4 pipe is not 3/4" either inside or outside dia. The guy that dreamed up plumbing sizes must have been a sado-masochist.

The axle tube mounts are old window shade cord pulls. The rest from bits and pieces from my junk boxes.

Later,
    David

_9-26-2021pmProgress.JPG

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
  20. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Starting on this one. 20210926_123527.jpg

21. Deuces

Deuces

Cool!...:cool:
    I have the Revell version gasser kit I need to get started on....

quick85 and Moonglow like this.
  22. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

Moonglow, I'm afraid the link to the Sprite build really didn't get me anywhere
    but I appreciate the effort. I had to take another look at the photo, it really
    piques my interest. It also brought back racing a J Production Bugeye with a
    friend through the '71 season. Keep us informed on the Dodge.

Also watched the video of the build. Kool seeing how little bumps in the
    road get solved. I got a kick out of Allie talking (tawking) about the "T roadstah,
    the '27 T roadstah". Not laughing at her, laughing with her. By the way, for those
    who noticed and were listening, the piano boogie Mike had playing is "Straight
    Up Boogie" by Wendy Marcini. Here's the YouTube link...

Ron Funkhouser, Deuces and Moonglow like this.
  23. Moonglow

Moonglow

quick85,

Sorry the link didn't work for you. I thought that might be the case. This is a (mostly) large scale model train forum called the SE Lounge. If you (or anyone else) wants to see my 1/12th Bugeye build for yourself, membership is free and easy to sign up. I didn't think the Bugeye was really HAMB friendly, or I'd just repost the build (so far) here.

Anyway, thanks very much for the positive vibes. It helps to keep me motivated. I will continue with updates as I complete enough to show...

quick85 and Deuces like this.
  24. mchook

mchook
    from upstate NY

Been plugging away at the 28 Lincoln Tow truck and started something else, a 56 International pickup. SUNP0002 (2).JPG SUNP0003.JPG SUNP0013.JPG SUNP0018.JPG

25. redoxide

redoxide

this isnt an area I usually frequent on the HAMB but I thought it would be a good place to show a model a friend of mine made for another mutual buddy ,
    recently, one of our small group of old timers ( East Coast Old Timers) had just got his 30 coupe back on the road when it was hit by a careless driver who left the scene of the collision. He was eventually tracked down but thats another story.
    Our buddies car was wrecked and he suffered a broken arm ( multiple fractures) .
    It was his birthday recntly and to make him feel better our mutual buddy and ECOT old guy Gordon, set to his studio and built a cracking model of the crashed coupe which was presented to out buddy on his birthday ..

Attached a couple of pics of the carnage and the cracking model Gordon made to console out buddy on his birthday

The model is made mostly from balsa, and cast off household odds and ends clevery crafted to make a cracking little rendition of the crashed coupe ..

IMG-20210530-125819.jpg IMG_20210709_133042.jpg unnamed.jpg unnamed-1.jpg unnamed-2.jpg unnamed-3.jpg

26. Deuces

Deuces

Cool build!..

mchook likes this.
  27. Moonglow

Moonglow

Nicely done @redoxide! What scale is it?

Deuces likes this.
  28. rudestude

rudestude

Back page ad from a old Rod&Custom I was looking at. 20210928_215331~2.jpg

Moonglow, quick85, NHRANUT and 5 others like this.
  29. redoxide

redoxide

Its pretty big. I would say its around 14 inches long and stands around 8 inches or thereabouts .. its big ..

LAROKE and Deuces like this.
  30. mchook

mchook
    from upstate NY

Getting some done on the 56 International. Fixed the cab, built bed sides and got some of the chassis built. cabfix.JPG cabfix1.JPG cabfix2.JPG bed.JPG bed5.JPG SUNP0001.JPG SUNP0004 (1).JPG SUNP0008 (2).JPG SUNP00053.JPG SUNP00054.JPG