Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Now what, special tools

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by topher5150, Sep 28, 2021.

1. topher5150

topher5150

My wife caught me daydreaming about that plasma cutter that was being discussed on here of course, she gave me the "do you really need this" look that all our wives give to us. This got me thinking, this will be the only build that I will be doing, and other than the hand/air tools what do you use your specialty tools (welder, plasma cutter, torch etc) after you got your car built?

Roger Loupias, Deuces and VANDENPLAS like this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

The next car.....?????

3. goldmountain

goldmountain

This reminds me of my friend Peter, who keeps on selling tools he no longer needs. It is a nuisance when I need THEM!

4. I’m with squirrel, I don’t look at tools as a one time use.

5. Rynothealbino

Rynothealbino

Not having a good reason to own a tool has never held me back or caused me to regret it later. If you have the money, space, desire etc. and something else isn't being neglected go for it. I'm pretty young still so I figure most of it will get used for something. There are always projects around the house or neighborhood that seem to keep the dust off of most of the collection.

6. dalesnyder

dalesnyder

Once I finally got a welder , I use it for many things besides the hot rod.
    I never sell tools.

7. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

The good thing about tools, is that they will outlast you, if they are good ones. I still have my first 3/8" socket
    set from J.C.Penny, from 60yrs ago. I have two sons that are both into hot rodding, and they will be the next
    generation of owners of my stuff. Actually, they already have a lot of it after 'borrowing" it. That's the circle of
    life for tools.

8. LAROKE

LAROKE

Being single, I never miss a chance to get a new specialty tool if it might remotely be of help with a current task. It's a weakness of mine. Just last week I bought a Bolt Buster induction heat tool.

rpm56, fauj, rockable and 3 others like this.
  9. I will admit that I also make due with not a lot of fancy tools though.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
    pitman and fauj like this.
  10. I wait and buy them for half the price from guys that use them once and sell them.
    Bought my plasma from a glass guy at work , watched him take it out of the box ,cut 2 channels that were in the way gave me the invoice for 1200 +tax and gave him 600 cash .
    Bought my tig from a guy learning to weld at home (town house ) neighbour complained and now its mine cheap !!

11. chop&drop

chop&drop

I have bought a number of tools that may end up being one time use pieces but I have them if I need them. Buying a tool is sometimes almost as cheap as renting one and definitely cheaper than paying someone to do something I could do if I just had the tool. They don’t go bad in the toolbox. I’ve got tools I’ve had for 50-60 years.

fauj and VANDENPLAS like this.
  12. EVERYTHING

fauj likes this.
  13. RMONTY

RMONTY

Bought the CHeapo, (not a TYpo) bead roller from Eastwood, did some mods and motorized it. The cost of the tool and accessories to motorize it was less than a set of floorboards for my project. AND, I learned a new skill. Still working on it becoming a GOOD skill! ;)

14. RmK57

RmK57

I've only used my plasma cutter a couple times for car building tasks. Now if I were to get really creative I could make some interesting yard art projects I suppose.

15. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I used to buy used broke snap on tools from the mac tool guy because someone broke a tool and needed a replacement right now to continue working so they'd trade in the broke tool and then I'd buy it cheap from Mac and then the next week have it warrantied out by the snap on guy.

Then vise versa from snap on then warranty it thru Mac.

Got a 250.00 mac adjustable timing light that way, had 100 in it. A Mac tach dwell meter, 3/8 snap on rachet etc. That way.

Probably ended up with a total of 75 cents on the dollar total in all my tools at that time..... Ah the good old days !!!

But I do hear a plasma cutter calling my name in the future... Although faintly I can still hear it calling me....

fauj likes this.
  16. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

When your family asked, do you have an itemized list of your tools? Does that mean they are already making out the sale bills?:confused:

fauj likes this.
  17. topher5150

topher5150

I never understood people like this.

LAROKE likes this.
  18. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Use them to make yard art for the wife, plus you can use up the left over scrap parts. E1272658-7592-458C-9F59-3B3C1AB8D26E.jpeg

Sandgroper and 40ragtopdown like this.
  19. I only buy tools that I have the skills to use. For instance... a welder. I don't want to take the time to become proficient at my age (73)... I'd rather spend the money and hire a CERTIFIED welder to do my welding, and KNOW it's done correctly. I see so many birdshit welds on rigs because someone bought a HF welder, watched a few videos, and declared themselves a 'welder'! No thanks, I want you and I both to be safe when my rig is on the road!

rpm56 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  20. Budget36

Budget36

I’ve bought many tools I rarely used or use. For me it’s a convenient thing.
    Kinda like having 3 or 4 angle grinders ready to use for different things.

alanp561, rpm56, '51 Norm and 6 others like this.
  21. LAROKE

LAROKE

My welding Kung Fu is not strong but I'm a hell of a grinder now.

22. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I find that though I may only have one current use for a tool, more often than not I find other uses for them as life moves on. While my wife may give me "the look" when I purchase something.............she's always happy when I have the needed tool to fix something.
    I don't use my plasma cutter all the time, but when I do, it usually saves me a lot of time and often just makes something possible. I will say that if you are going to get a cheapie with maybe a 1/4" max cut........then don't waste your money.

fauj likes this.
  23. I’ve got wayyy more tools then I could ever need.

I have purchased a lot of tools that get used minimally (table saw , drills , band saw mag drill etc) used
    I will buy pro / industrial stuff for 1/2 the cost of new.
    My thought with a tool I may use once a year. I want a good quality tool but can’t justify the cost for the use it will get.
    I’m not a fan of cheap tools as they usually fail at the most in opportune time.

The fist house I renovated I went through 3 table saws and 3 drills !!!

the first two saws and drills where Canadian tire brand junk ( there low end line stuff and a ryobi table saw ). I ended up buying a used dewalt table saw and a new Milwaukee 1/2 corded drill.
    I’ve now had them for close to 10 years

I buy good quality angle grinder and probably own 5-6

fauj, Truckdoctor Andy and Budget36 like this.
  24. I find that my rationale is as follows: decide on a project, car or component that requires a skill or talent I don't possess. That's the easy part!

Then find the tools it takes to do that project, convince myself that regardless of my lack of skill, the tool will make the difference...
    Ta da, justification!
    Then I learn how to use the new tool, hopefully well enough to work on my personal project. If I do well enough, I can offer that skill to a buddy that may need the help. Win,win!

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
    LAROKE and Budget36 like this.
  25. Beside the next car, I use my specialty tools often. Currently using my Tig machine to teach some younger folks to weld.

Fordors and Redrodguy like this.
  26. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I have a lot of specialty tools, but never sprung for a plasma cutter. I wish I had numerous times, but somehow I always got by without one. Now I'm not sure I'd ever use one in the future at my age, so likely wont buy one.

27. spanners

spanners

"He who dies with the most tools wins."
    I've got a lot of tools that only get used occasionally especially home repair stuff. I could hire some but I don't want to waste a day going out and hiring it, using it, cleaning it down and taking it back. Same reason I don't lend tools, I want them in my shed for when I need them, not at a mate's place half a day away.

fauj, Truckdoctor Andy and VANDENPLAS like this.
  28. Terrible80

Terrible80

20210313_105528_HDR.jpg Haven't even started a HAMB friendly build. But my backyard has half again more usable area.

fauj and VANDENPLAS like this.
  29. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm a self admitted "tool whore". If I think I will use it more than once, I get one. I bought my plasma cutter used (Miller), and my bead roller and English wheel. Most everything else I bought new. I work in my shop most days, so it is worth it to me in entertainment value! I'm 67 and I've been accumulating tools for 40 years. (A thief cleaned me out 40 years ago, so I had to start over. So far, so good.)

30. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Buy the best you can afford, take care of it, and have them to either pass on to your heirs or your significant other to sell when you are gone!

An example, today boring some holes in an oak step that helps SWMBO get in and out of the SUV. Made it much lighter so I don't hurt my back picking it up. Started with an 18 volt cordless drill. After 3 holes of many, switched to my 45 year old B&D 3/8 inch pistol drill. Finished up much quicker and didn't burn up the cordless drill. It's one of too many to list tools saved for and bought way back when that just keep going and going.

Some of the machinists instruments I have predate WW2, and are still accurate. Bought from machinists as they retired. Paid whatever they asked, still way cheaper than new. Most are Starrett or Brown and Sharpe. And the old timers took such good care of their stuff, most only shows handling wear, if any.