Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Extension of doors Mercury 49 51 (can you help me?) >>

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by VEDETTE, Sep 26, 2021.

1. VEDETTE

VEDETTE
    from FRANCE

I’d like to explain my problem but my English is bad.. I'll try.. :rolleyes:

I would like to pass my kustom in 2 doors (not Mercury but it’s the same body design!) but I run into a big problem..
    If I lengthen the doors, the window won’t follow the lengthening..
    the photos explain the problem
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

How are you doing on your mercury? I can’t find a solution. :(
    Thank you for your responses..
    ;)

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
    Stogy and VANDENPLAS like this.
  2. Please post more pictures of your car !!!!

she looks fancy :cool:

I think the easiest , would be to get a set of doors from a two door, move your be pillar back then rework the quarter panel.
    You will probably need to rework the top as well.

not an easy job but definitely do-able

3. VEDETTE

VEDETTE
    from FRANCE

Stogy likes this.
  4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You are not going to be able to do it on that body. The body actually has a bend at the door post and you will not be able to fit glass longer than you have now.

5. VEDETTE

VEDETTE
    from FRANCE

But... how do guys pass their mercury in 2 doors? it’s the same body design!

6. The easiest way would be to 'thicken' the doors and quarterpanels at the rear of the front door opening, making them wedge-shaped. Either that, or narrowing the body at the door post. I think the first solution would be a bit easier but either one will need some serious fabrication.

Stogy and VEDETTE like this.
  7. VEDETTE

VEDETTE
    from FRANCE

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here is his build thread. Car started as a four door sedan. Projects - FORD VEDETTE 53' Kustom from FRANCE | The H.A.M.B. (jalopyjournal.com)

Looking at the build thread I don't think that extending the doors to make it a two door are beyond what Vendette is capable of skill wise.

You might consider a lift out quarter window if you plan to run a top. Similar to some of the hardtopped Mercs that have been around for years. Except the quarter windows would be in the tops of the doors and follow the original body lines.

Stogy likes this.
  9. squirrel

squirrel

Steve has the right idea. You need to make the front door longer, but keep the same outside curve on it. The new window will be longer, and will need to go from the front, to the rear, of the door.

The black line shows the original door. The brown line shows the new door.

This is not an easy job.

door.jpg

10. VEDETTE

VEDETTE
    from FRANCE

Thanks Mr48chev..
    No top!

Stogy likes this.
  11. VEDETTE

VEDETTE
    from FRANCE

Thank you squirrel! it’s a good idea... I work steel I think I know how to do it. But
    I’d like to find a guy who did this job. Wait till they come forward.
    I’ll go through the Hamb and see what I can find.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
    Stogy likes this.
  12. flow81

flow81

Stogy likes this.
  13. Squablow

Squablow

One thing that helps on American Mercury cars is that the front 10 inches of door has a vent wing window in it which is at a different angle than the flat glass. If you had a vent wing window, you could push the front edge of your glass out further toward the outside of the door, which would help with the angle. I hope I am explaining this well, here's a rough picture.

26.3.jpg

Stogy and Bandit Billy like this.
  14. goldmountain

goldmountain

If you Don't plan on having a top, why would side glass matter?

Stogy likes this.
  15. VEDETTE

VEDETTE
    from FRANCE

Stogy likes this.
  16. VEDETTE

VEDETTE
    from FRANCE

Exactly! On my car there was a deflector but I took it off for the look..
    Refitting deflectors would do too much work..

Stogy likes this.
  17. VEDETTE

VEDETTE
    from FRANCE

Windows are important when driving! even without a roof.. and I like enough for the general look

Stogy likes this.
  18. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

You would have to make a longer door that is straight and make the body to fit. Then have new, larger glass cut. Not hard as it is flat glass. Make the rear window to slide in from the front and set it up so the front glass overlaps the back glass by 1 or 2 mm.

Stogy likes this.
  19. Are you sure the top of the b pillar hasn't sprung out from it's factory location? I have a 4 door '50 Merc that someone did a horrible job converting into a two door that I am fixing right now using a 4 door roof and the side profile of the body or top does not come out to a peak like yours does.

Stogy likes this.
  20. CadMad

CadMad

I understand this problem. The b pillar should be done first. That is the given, as it is the fixed point. Get this work done first.
    Then get the extended door opening and closing correctly.
    The door top glass run channel needs to be modified as in Squirrel’s diagram.
    I had to do this on my 39 Cadillac 4 door to 2 door.

Stogy likes this.
  21. VEDETTE

VEDETTE
    from FRANCE

Sorry i don't understand.. :oops:

22. VEDETTE

VEDETTE
    from FRANCE

yes indeed! my pillar leave a little , can be when I welded the reinforcement on the lower part of the foot because of the heat. I didn’t notice it at the time

K13 and Stogy like this.
  23. VEDETTE

VEDETTE
    from FRANCE

Absolutely!.. that’s what I’ll do

Stogy likes this.
  24. oldsman41

oldsman41

Cad mad has it right I believe you start with the b pillar moved and welded in then your quarters can be made from your old back doors and put in the new two door doors. By your thread I believe you can pull this off it’s been done a lot.

VEDETTE and Stogy like this.
  25. Ratatouille

Ratatouille
    from France

Hello Vedette.
    Sorry guys for this post, but i know that artman is not completly bi language, and for help him, i'm gonna write in french.
    About long time, i have read comment of him to ask why i haven't modified my doors on my Fregate. For the same reasons, it's a lot of work. But on a convertible, it will be more easy.

Alors, salut Artman, tu sais que je n'ai plus ma Fregate, mais que j'y avais reflechi sec à l'histoire des portes courtes sur mon "coupé". J'avais laissé tombé à l'époque car c'est beaucoup de boulot. Il reste quand même pour toi une solution (évoqué plus haut) de modifier juste le galbe du haut de porte. Une des soluces serai nom pas de "bomber l'arc", mais d'incliner vers l'exterieur le bout de porte (au dessus de la poignée de porte et au raccord aprés le montant que tu soude evidement pour la transormation en 2 portes). Il faut couper la tole entre le garnissage et l'exterieur, tirer un peu, souder un tube un peu cintré pour maintenir et trouver un angle pas trop moche (ça tu sais bien faire ;-) ) . Il restera un jour plus important entre la vitre et l'exterieur de la carrosserie, que tu pourra rattraper par une pièce chromée, genre Aronde Monaco ou Grand Large, pour poser ton coude à la portière. Chapron fesait ça sur la Fregate, observe cette photo, au lieu d'avoir un droit plat au dessus la poignée, tu y verra un leger angle vers l'exterieur pour tirer un galbe. Voilà, j'espere t'avoir aidé, moi je retourne sur ma Chevy 40 ;-)
    fregy.jpg

Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
    James D, VEDETTE and Budget36 like this.
  26. j hansen

j hansen

I only found this pic of his car.... Skärmavbild 2021-09-30 kl. 12.25.23.png

KoolKat-57 and Stogy like this.
  27. VEDETTE

VEDETTE
    from FRANCE

Stogy and j hansen like this.
  28. VEDETTE

VEDETTE
    from FRANCE

Salut Ratatouille! merci pour l'info.. je vois bien la modif..mais j'ai un doute sur l'esthetisme final avec cette partie legerement ecarté vers l'exterieur.. Je pense que c'est jouable sans faire ça. j'ai commencé a etudier l'truc.. ça va l'faire.. reste plus que le declic mental.. :)
    ;)

Ratatouille likes this.
  29. Ratatouille

Ratatouille
    from France

....Un cabriolet,......tu y vois clair....... c'est bientôt l'hiver...alors........ "clic";).

.....i know that you'll gonna do things well:)

30. It must be possible. It would be interesting to get a look at a coupe. Is the door top different to your car? A little I think.
    [​IMG]