Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Concrete blocks for getting more lift

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rladams65, Sep 26, 2021.

1. RmK57

RmK57

It may be cheaper to buy proper jack stands rather than 4x4 spruce/ hemlock/ fir to cut up for cribbage. Not to mention a waste of lumber.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
  2. mickeyc

mickeyc

I like the fact that NoChop shows a photo of a proper crib stack. Simply
    stacking wood supports in a parallel fashion can create an unstable
    "stack" I have worked under 600 ton nuclear reactors supported by engineered layers of plywood placed in strategically locations to make a safe space to access the undersides.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  3. dwollam

dwollam

Cinder blocks will kill you. Period.

Dave

4. rtp

rtp

Go where a new house is being built ask if you can take away some of the wast cut off lumber .
    I have two ramps built out of 2x12s and enough cut offs to build two stacks 2ft high 2x10s

5. Guy Patterson

Guy Patterson

Built my boxes out of pallets and most times you get them for free

fourspd2quad and Deuces like this.
  6. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cinder blocks only if you have a death wish. People die every year when blocks crumble and somebody gets crushed to death.

olscrounger and Deuces like this.
  7. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

I raised houses for a short time….build crane pads for pile drivers, glad I got out of being a laborer….

VANDENPLAS, Paul and Deuces like this.
  8. When I was a teenager I was doing a clutch on my '57 Chevy with the front wheels on cinder blocks. One of them collapsed during the day while I was at school. Learned a valuable lesson that day.

Elcohaulic and VANDENPLAS like this.
  9. Squablow

Squablow

I personally don't trust jack stands all that much either, unless they have a very large base and/or are not extended very high. Every jack stand I've ever had, if you extend them up, you can wiggle them around a little, and it's a small area of support.

I had my '57 up on wooden cribs similar to what is shown in that linked thread (under the tires) and I grabbed the roof and shook violently back and forth and it was as stable as sitting on the ground. I would NEVER try that with jack stands. I only used jack stands when I had to get a wheel free, and then it would be cribs under the other tires and only a jack stand under the free wheel (or two cribs up front and the rearend dropped with stands)

I agree with those saying cinder blocks are a bad idea but I also think a full weight car on 4 jack stands is also not as good as it could be.

Weight on the tires is also the best way to do any kind of panel alignment, stands on the frame can warp the frame slightly so that good panel gaps change when you set it back down. Cribs are also nicely out of the way for floor pan and exhaust work.

10. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Yes, I don't think I'd feel comfortable under jack stands sitting on anything that isn't part of the floor, or secured to it. It's a potential hinge. Cribbing etc. under the tires or frame.

11. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

I have also used chunk's of a decent size not rotted tree.. cheapest, easiest, safe
    PS: No stand's,just wood..

12. brading

brading

Wooden Cribbing boxes all the way. I made some and they are great for working under a car. I see you have got the message and now you will be able to spend many years working on your car rather than pushing up Daisies

13. Slopok

Slopok

Those were cinder blocks made in USA! ;)
    But seriously, if you want to live to see 50, DON'T use cinder blocks! :eek:

14. 19Fordy

19Fordy

ALSO, NEVER USE 3 LEGGED JACK STANDS.

TagMan likes this.
  15. A5A8C3E0-84C5-49A1-AC14-A827681F9C19.jpeg

I’ve posted these before they are forklift stands super. Stable and safe

Someone on here with a blue coupe, his name leav S me right now, built a set very similar but they stack or nest into themselves to save space when not in use.
    Great idea.

16. @Blue One built them for his roadster pickup

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They aren't used in single columns, with no mortar, with irregular loading on the top block, and unknown footings when they are used in houses.

Apples to doughnuts comparison.

clem, fourspd2quad, Randall and 5 others like this.
  18. mickeyc

mickeyc

Therein lies another problem. I dont know where to buy a set of
    high quality Jack stands. When I do use jack stands I back them up with
    some 12x12'' shoring pieces I salvaged from a rigging project.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  19. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
    VANDENPLAS likes this.
  20. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Summit Racing had Sunnex jack stands.

The red Summit Brand jack stands sold for less are the same Sunnex jack stands.

I have them in a few heights, including the 1410's which go to 46.5".

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  21. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Right I built
    these from 3/16” steel plate.
    Strong light and stackable.
    Way safer than a lot of what some guys use.
    Concrete or cinder blocks are fine if you have a death wish.
    EE006079-7538-47E7-8E5E-0E2A6CE69A37.jpeg 3F4E211A-0C8C-486F-AB86-FF06919C4D68.jpeg 1859A75D-38C4-4016-8FC1-566A4ABE9120.jpeg
    C643493A-1576-41E9-9143-C538DABC8A56.jpeg

CME1, williebill, clem and 5 others like this.
  22. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

23. Thank you @Blue One , you could easily market those stands snd make some good money on them .

And @1946caddy ive seen that pic before , I hope that it’s photo shop :confused:

24. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Actually, when I saw the title of this thread, I thought it meant using a concrete block for more lift on the suspension of a car.

And that would be okay.
    :D

25. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Do a local newspaper google search and you can find stories of someone killed by a cinder block collapse while
    working on a car.

26. KenC

KenC

Well there is a right way and wrong way to place a CMU (More on the terminology later). Hole vertical they are much stronger, especially if the block is protected by a wood layer to keep steel parts from creating a small point load.

However neither is suitable for me working under it!! I have a storage shed, a 16' box truck bed sitting on 6 of them arranged as above. Been there for 15 years with no issue. But you'll not see me under it.

Cinder blocks haven't been made in years, at least in my area. The name came from the use of coal cinders as the aggregate in the cement, sand, aggregate mix. All that appears here now, are 'concrete blocks' or CMU. Limestone gravel, crushed stone has replaced the cinders. Much stronger than the originals as the content of cinders was hit and miss.

These are made in various sizes and configurations. 8x8x16 with two holes is most common. Next most is 4x8x16 solid, usually used as cap blocks on foundation walls. There are lots of special shapes and sizes for reinforcing rod placement, window and door opening etc. But all CMU.

27. KenC

KenC

Cautionary tale: even with jack stands be careful of how they are used. Many years ago I knew a young man that was killed when his car rolled off the stands. He has two, under the front only. rear wheels on the floor. Car in gear, standard shift. He didn't unhook the battery before beginning to remove the starter. His wrench contacted the solenoid and the car moved.

As a result, I never have less than four stands and two floor jacks under a vehicle.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  28. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

I don't know how much height you will get but back in the day I used steel car ramps but I wouldn't drive onto them. I would jack the car up and slide them under the wheels by placing a steel block on the jack for the height till I got it high enough. I had two sets of ramps and lifted the front and back which gave me plenty of room to do all I needed to do. They are always at garage sales and local classifieds for sale cheap. Last pair I got for 10 bucks.

b-body-bob and impala4speed like this.
  29. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

get Superman to help you out...the man of steel can handle it..ha ha

30. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

VANDENPLAS likes this.