Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Michigan license plates

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rooster72, Sep 26, 2021.

1. Rooster72

Rooster72

I have a pair of 1929 plates i wanted to register to my 29 A , but im second guessing if they are for a car , truck or other. they start with a single number, a dash, 3 numbers, a dash, and 3 more numbers
    i cant find anything diffinitive on the web. i would greatly appreciate any help

Deuces likes this.
  2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your DMV, or whatever the it is called there, should have a record of what old plates look like, and what is used where. If they don't, they will not know to stop you!

In my state, and others, trucks would get a commercial plate.

Michigan plates from 1929 that are commercial say so on them.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
  3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I see your dilemma there are at least three distinctive differences in 1929 Michigan plates per this outfit that specializes in Michigan plates. Shop (madmaxsauthenticplates.com)

Deuces likes this.
  6. 5window

5window

So what about just going to the DMV and asking them? They'd know better than we would.

WalkerMD and Deuces like this.
  7. Cant just walk into a Michigan SOS office the seats. All by appointment…

Deuces likes this.
  8. FlatheadFanFromMI

FlatheadFanFromMI

Early plates were available in 5,6, and 7 digit. The higher the registration number, the wider the plate got.

9. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

You can do the entire YOM plate thing on line and by mail, if the plates are not correct...they will let you know.
    I have done it.

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In Michigan?

11. Yes, I did it a few years ago for my 40 Chevy. Restored the plate and sent a photocopy in with the appropriate form. I believe I downloaded the form the SOS online. Be advised that a 40 plate in Michigan is longer in length and shorter in height. Mine was restored accordingly.

12. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

Yes, from my home in California. Collector Motorcycle titled and registered in Michigan.

millersgarage likes this.
  13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good to know.

5window likes this.
  14. Rooster72

Rooster72

thanks a ton for all the great help , i feel better about going forward. i just got the paper work to try and aquire a 29 title , so im waiting on that before i register my plates . this is the first car i've bought that didnt have a title ( a little nervous )

15. 5window

5window

:)

16. millersgarage

millersgarage

17. Greg Rogers

Greg Rogers

I have seen year of manufacturer plates here in Michigan that are "wrong". What I mean is some years were maybe 2 letters and 4 numerals for a truck, and maybe the same year plate for a car was 3 letters and 3 numerals, ( or some such nonsense). I have a current year plate on my 71 Olds that I know is correct for a car, but the 1956 Michigan plate I have on my 56 F100 may not actually be for a truck. I never even thought about it, to be honest....But all you have to do is send in a copy of the current year plate you want to use to the Sec of State, and they will approve it, if no one else is already using that #. So now many years later there are guys at swap meets who sell old plates for big bucks, I'll bet they will know. I have actually seen current year plates on collector cars that actually were "dealer plates" back in the day. (Little "D"s in the middle). Anyway, I don't think the SOS cares weather the plate was originally correct for the type vehicle....