Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Preparing to swap in a Flathead

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Southtowns27, Sep 24, 2021.

1. Southtowns27

Southtowns27
    from Western NY

Hi guys. I bought this T Roadster back in the spring. Pretty much everything on the car was a huge mess, but I've gotten most of it straightened out and it's actually a pretty good driver now. The SBC works well with plenty of power, but this thing is just screaming for a Flathead. I'd like to stick an 8BA in it coupled to the Borg Warner T85 with R10 overdrive that I already have. (Came out of a '53 Ford pickup). I have concerns about the exhaust routing for the flattie since it exits the engine so much lower than on the SBC. Take a look at the steering box location and steering setup on this thing. The box mount is pretty ugly and needs to be redone regardless. The current steering shaft has a whole bunch of U-joints in it which is also less than ideal.
    I'd like to put the engine slightly further forward than the current arrangement to free up some space in the footbox area since I'll need to fit 3 pedals in there. I could probably also raise it up some, but it still won't be enough to clear the exhaust. I'm planning on running similar lakester headers. What are some better steering box options for me? I'm already thinking a Steer-clear might be a good upgrade as well. I am pretty much dead set on the lakester headers...will it just be easier to modify a set to fit? Last, does anyone know if a hydraulic throwout bearing for this setup exists? That would be far easier than trying to make a clutch linkage work. Thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. alchemy

alchemy

If you are worried that a sharp corner on your flathead's headers is gonna cause stress on it, make sure you don't look inside the ports of the block. :eek: I'd think you could put an upward 90 on each tube of the headers right out of the block and it won't be any worse than the convoluted path the gasses take before they ever exit the block.

As for how everything else will fit, you'll just have to yank the SBC and dangle the flathead in there to see how stuff fits.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  3. Southtowns27

Southtowns27
    from Western NY

Not so much worried about the exhaust flow.. More concerned with just straight up interference with the steering box and shaft.

4. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

Try "W" type headers. They will usually clear with no problems. They will definitely make more horsepower.

5. Southtowns27

Southtowns27
    from Western NY

W type headers?

6. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

7. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Block huggers maybe?

4404BB3B-D2EA-4695-AFBB-F2A16211DEFD.png

Flathead Dave likes this.
  8. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Can you try block huggers?

9. Pete,
    Now that is what I call a racing flathead,,,,,,it looks awesome !
    Everything on it has been modified,,,,,radical.
    And what kind of ignition is that,,,,,it looks like a high dollar piece .
    Injection,,,,,dry sump pan,,,,beautiful headers .
    I see the water pump mounts are blocked off ?
    Is that what the tubes bolted to the side of the block ,,behind the headers are for,,,,,,water flow ?

Tommy

10. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

it appears to be screaming for paint more than an engine swap

11. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.