Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Concrete blocks for getting more lift

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rladams65, Sep 26, 2021.

1. rladams65

rladams65

What does the community think about using concrete blocks as a platform for my jack stands to give me an extra 8~12 inches of space?

I am working on my 62 Mercury Monterey sedan. I do not have a lift and I would like more height to roll under there to remove rust and do some rehab / paint. I was just kicking around the idea of using cinder blocks to hold the jack up, lift the car from there and install the jack stands on more blocks - giving me ~24" of height under the frame.

Sincerely - doesnotwanttobecrushedbyhishubris

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

Texas57, cpd682, grapeboy and 21 others like this.
  3. I personally would not feel comfortable getting under a heavy vehicle supported by concrete blocks. I've seen them burst apart under lesser loads. 2x4 or 2x6 cribbing would be alot sturdier IMO. Mitch

grapeboy, Cosmo49, Randall and 4 others like this.
  4. Cinder blocks are never a good idea when it comes to lifting or supporting a car to work under.

Carter, Cosmo49, Randall and 5 others like this.

5. Phil P

Phil P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are lots of warnings about not using cinder blocks to hold up a car. When there under load a small tap can cause them to disintegrate.

Phil

6. What @squirrel linked is the way to go if your on a budget.

Cinder blocks can crack and crumble on you unexpectedly if the load is not sitting smooth and flat and across the entire block, they are not designed to have a load in any one concentrated point.

Please don’t do it, there are cheap and much safer ways to get your car up high.

7. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Cinder blocks under a car seem like a great way to see how a life insurance policy plays out.

wood cribbing is a solid idea though.

~ pun intended

8. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

Cinder blocks are an absolute no no for holding up cars. Second most dangerous thing you can use, besides a jack and no jack stands. Don't do it.

9. 1ton

1ton

I would not get under a car that's supported by cinder blocks but isn't it funny that there a cars all over the USA, without wheels or tires, that have been sitting on cinder blocks for years without any problem.

10. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I've had railroad ties that I cut up in the past and yes I put them under large hd stands...
    This worked very well but I need to stress that I had heavy duty stands...

427 sleeper, Deuces and VANDENPLAS like this.
  11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Get taller stands.

Gambling with shortcuts could get you killed.

12. rladams65

rladams65

13. Do not do that.

Deuces and gimpyshotrods like this.
  14. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

15. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Why would you even think about doing something like this?

16. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

17. -Brent-

-Brent-

I had an acquaintance die from his car falling on him when blocks collapsed. Unfortunately his sister is the one who found him. She tried to figure a way to get a jack in place but it was too late. It was a horrible thing to happen.

Please make some cribbing. Find a couple 2x4 and make yourself a pair. They are simple to make and will last forever.

49ratfink and Deuces like this.
  18. rladams65

rladams65

19. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We all have dumb ideas sometimes. Sorry... ill-advised ideas. At least I hope I'm not the only one.
    But it's a good thing when we're at least smart enough and not too proud to ask.

scotty t, Hnstray, jim snow and 2 others like this.
  20. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would only add that when you start stacking supports, you've got "tippy" points.
    Taller jack stands. One piece support system. No "tippy" in the middle.

Deuces and gimpyshotrods like this.
  21. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
    warhorseracing and VANDENPLAS like this.
  22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The "cribbed up" boards aren't stacked loose though. Each layer is fastened to the layer below it. Or the boards in each layer are solidly fastened to each other and somewhat interlock with the layer below.

I've seen cinder blocks crumble under a rig that a guy I know just blocked up so he could take the wheels and tires off. He jacked it up and put the blocks under it to take the wheels off to use on another rig and went out back a couple of days later and it was laying on the ground on one side. It made a believer out of him.

Deuces likes this.
  23. Yes,,,,please never do this,,,,it is a killer waiting to get you .
    I know people are young and don’t think about being mortal,,,,,but it kills people every year .
    About 20 years ago a young man here was killed using them .
    It was devastating to me,,,,I didn’t know him,,,,but felt like it was such a waste .
    He just didn’t know,,,,,he assumed they were strong and solid,,,,.they weren’t !
    He was a poor old boy that didn’t have anything .

Every year or so I still think about it,,,,it haunts me,,,,I can only imagine how his family and friends feel .

please pass this advice along to others,,,,,,it’s not worth getting killed because you don’t have the right equipment.
    If I ever win the lottery I think I will set up a fund to supply good Jack stands to people that don’t have any money .

Tommy

Deuces and VANDENPLAS like this.
  24. rladams65

rladams65

Thanks - I can build those boxes

Deuces and VANDENPLAS like this.
  25. Paul

Paul
    Editor

I have found good quality jack stands at yard sales cheap, even new ones are not that expensive compared to lumber these days

VANDENPLAS, Desoto291Hemi and Deuces like this.
  26. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Wouldn't use cinder blocks for anything but holding up a house. I've got a couple of solid concrete blocks I use from time to time, but I don't crawl under the car or put any body parts where it might fall on it, I just use them as extra support in case a jack stand tips or collapses. If I'm getting under it, I have some treated 6x6's left from my carport build I use under my stands for extra lift. Those solid concrete blocks won't break like cinder blocks will, I ran over one hidden in some tall grass with my bush hog, other than chipping one corner, the block was undamaged.

Deuces likes this.
  27. 6sally6

6sally6

22jackstands-1.jpg Cinder blocks are a very dangerous option for getting a car up high enough to work on it.(I've done it...had a "near-miss")
    Like said above....wood cribbing is a better alternative! (THIS^^^^^ ain't good either):p
    6sally6

28. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

About 48 years ago, I pulled a concrete block out from under a car and threw it aside - it broke into 3 pieces.

VANDENPLAS, Desoto291Hemi and Deuces like this.
  29. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Most people call cinder blocks concrete blocks, but they are different. Concrete blocks are just like a chunk of your driveway or floor, solid. Cinder blocks are full of air pores, you can see them on the outside. Any solid hit will break a cinder block, concrete being more solid is harder to break, but it will break if hit hard enough.

Take a cinder block and a chunk of concrete and place them side by side, and hit both with the same hammer and see which breaks first. The cinder will break probably on the first hit, the hammer will fly back at you off the concrete.

Deuces and blowby like this.
  30. tjm73

tjm73

Wood cribbing is better. The compressive strength of wood is insane. Don't use the concrete blocks.

That said. The CMU (concrete masonry unit) is not near as fragile as some would claim. I mean, they hold up houses for decades.

Deuces and rladams65 like this.