Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Collection of junk

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by David E Hummell, Sep 26, 2021.

1. Hello everyone new guy here. I will be looking for some help. I guess I'm a junk magnet because I have acquired two 8ba's in rebuildable condition and this morning I'm taking my b-61 mack to get a front half of a 36-39 ford car with a 59a flathead. I have a good model a frame and a 50 ford 3 speed truck trans and a 9" ford bronco 3-55 gears rear and a 37 ford front axle and 40 ford front brakes. I have talked to a guy that has a 33 ford pickup cab and grill and fenders. Am I an idiot to think I can assemble this in a truck? Thank you Dave

2. The title will be the hardest part. What is your location?

lothiandon1940 and irishsteve like this.
  3. If its going to be fenderless yeah you could mount the cab by making new mounts.Trying to build a full fendered truck with the A frame likely wont work out.As said above.....have some idea of getting it titled before you open your wallet.

lothiandon1940 and chevy57dude like this.
  4. The cab has a title that is why I was interested in this cab and parts. I'm not sure I would run fenders.

5. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The A frame is too slender for the later cab in my opinion. It will look unnatural even if you get it put together, which will be tricky as the body mounts on the 33 will be far outboard of the A frame rails. I would save the A frame for a T or A body and look for a 33-34 frame for the 33 truck, or make one if you have the fab skills...

A couple other notes... that 3spd truck tranny is no good for hot rodding. It is a crashbox and geared for pulling.

You would be better served with a banjo rear and a closed (torque tube) transmission, a '39 is the usual go-to for V8s but the 36-38 is easier to find and works just fine... That will keep your drivetrain and suspension simple. The more you wander from the early Ford chassis formula the further you stray into rat rod territory.

By the way, I wanna see that Mack truck!

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
  6. I own a small machine shop with the standard welding and machining capability's. I own a restored 31 coupe and I wanted to do something different. I will not run a banjo rear in this build. I restored a 50 ford pickup and drove that everywhere I like the trans. I run a double over triplex 13 speed twin stick non synchronizer trans in my Mack.

7. rusty valley

rusty valley

Lets see the Mack!

stillrunners and nochop like this.
  8. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Pics……we love pictures

rusty valley likes this.
  9. Squablow

Squablow

I was under the impression that the guts in a '48-'52 Ford F-1 pickup trans was the same stuff used in the '39 trans, with basically the same shifter tower too, and the only real differences was the shape of the shifter handle and the fact that the F-1 trans is set up for open drive. Is that not correct?

rusty valley likes this.
  10. rusty valley

rusty valley

Correct^^^. There is one odd gear set in some of those trucks, has a 27 tooth cluster gears if I remember. Also those cases after 49 have no serial numbers on the case

Squablow likes this.
  11. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Buy some repro 34 frame rails and front crossmember. In the grand scheme of things, they are a small additional cost that will give big rewards in looks and resell value.
    You can use the Model A rear crossmember if you want.

irishsteve likes this.