Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Can't get carburetor apart .

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dieselturbo, Sep 25, 2021.

1. dieselturbo

dieselturbo

I have taken many carbs apart over the years, but this one seems to be glued/ sealed together . 4gc from a 56 olds . It was rebuilt about 15 years ago , gaskets may have been put on with sealer . I have tried to cut gaskets with single edge razor blade . still stuck . any suggestions (within reason ... no explosives ) Thanks Andy

Deuces likes this.
  2. Mimilan

Mimilan

3. ottoman

ottoman
    from Wisconsin

If I remember right there are one or two hidden screws.. check it over closely

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
    MBog, Deuces, Flathead Dave and 2 others like this.
  4. junkman8888

junkman8888

After you look for hidden screws find a container just big enough to hold the carb and soak it in lacquer thinner.

5. A thin flexible good quality putty knife.

Deuces likes this.
  6. Yep - look for an exploded view on the net - maybe it will show the hidden screws - on the GM type - they are usually in the center just behind the butterflies - I miss them all the time !

7. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

If adhesive, I wonder (cautiously) if a little evenly applied heat would help? Understanding the risks of too much heat to a carb body.

Deuces likes this.
  8. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

9. carbking

carbking

Assuming the air cleaner gasket has been removed, and the flange mounting gasket has been removed, there are no hidden screws on the Rochester 4-GC.

Throttle body to bowl - 3 medium, 1 very large.
    Airhorn to bowl - 13 total: 12 that are very visible, and one which is down in a hole, but not covered.

Boil the carb in hot water for an hour or so. The hot water may allow the gaskets to disintegrate, and even if sealer were used, allow the carb to come apart.

Sealer on carburetor surfaces is a no-no. If sealer has been used, good luck on removing it from all the tiny passages in the carburetor.

Jon.

10. wvenfield

wvenfield

I was going to suggest an ultra sonic but it works much like boiling in water.

Deuces likes this.
  11. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The thirteenth screw is very easy to miss if you are not familiar with these carburetors. I would bet that that is his problem.

WB69, ottoman, egads and 2 others like this.
  12. moparboy440

moparboy440
    from Finland

13. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

ottoman likes this.
  14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If sealer, of the aviation gasket type was used, Isopropanol (rubbing alcohol), in the highest concentration you can get, dissolves it.

I forgot a container of in im my trunk once. Had to clean up a ton of it.

15. carbking

carbking

Gimpy - first time I had read your comment about the "Friendly Suggestions of Physics" - wonderful!

Jon.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  16. If you look closely you should be able to spot four bolts or four nuts and studs at the bottom/lower flange of the carb. This is how it is fastened to the intake manifold. Lefty-loosey, righty-tighty should apply here. ;)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021