Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Have you ever wondered what the Ford Crest means?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Sep 17, 2021.

1. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

How about a Mercury crest.

upload_2021-9-20_17-22-22.png

2. I know what it means....means it'll go in the swap meet pile and be sold for $3. Rockybox.jpg

bchctybob likes this.
  3. Anybody know the difference between the gold Bulldog and the chrome Bulldog?

4. Deuces

Deuces

No... But I'm pretty sure it's got something to do with Mack trucks.....:)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
  5. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That’s a “no shit”.

Deuces and warhorseracing like this.
  6. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Gold used to mean a truck was all Mack parts, while chrome meant that there were other manufacturer parts such as axles, transmission, or engines used. I don't think that matters anymore since they are owned by Volvo now. I haven't seen a gold dog on a new Mack in years.

7. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Escutcheon, mantling, helm, and crest. The arms are based on those of the Dodge family, though the tinctures have been shifted around some. The washer in the middle was originally a woman's lactating breast: it would appear that many bearing the surname have since substituted a weeping eye. The crest is a seal or sealion, sometimes stylized as a fish-tailed "sea dog". A gold helm in half-profile makes no sense in English heraldry; it should be silver/steel.

Deuces likes this.
  8. Winner winner, chicken dinner! You are correct!

warhorseracing likes this.
  9. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

tumblr_p3g6dhdpka1rlbc16o9_400.gif

10. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

HAVE YOU EVER WONDERED WHAT THE FORD CREST MEANS?

No

11. Truckedup

Truckedup

According to Mack historians, the gold bulldog appeared in 1967 to go along with the new Maxidyne engine that was painted a gold color

Deuces, warhorseracing and jimmy six like this.
  12. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

A curious thing is that the old B-Models and such with the Mack Thermodyne engines had chrome dogs, but the newer 6-cyl and V8 Maxidyne engines with Maxitorque transmissions had the gold pooch. I've seen many, many B61's, B70's etc with complete Mack drivelines, Thermodyne, duplex, triplex or quadriplex trans and the excellent Mack bogies, all with chrome pooches- in fact, through a very long career in construction, I have never seen a Mack of any kind before the R-models with that combination with a gold pooch, unless someone put it on there. I used to drive a '71 RL700L with a 335 Cummins, quad and Mack posi bogies hauling dozers around, and it had a chrome pooch. In the early 70's gramps and I ran with three guys who had new Mack tractors with the Maxidyne/ Maxitorque 5-speed combo, 2 6's and a V8, and they all said the gold pooch indicated a Maxidyne/ Maxitorque. BTW, I got curious, and a quick Google search came up with the above answer lol

13. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

That could be right. I was told what I posted by a long time Mack dealer owner, I figured he knew what he was talking about.

14. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Those R-Models with the Maxidyne/ Maxitorque were brutal beasts, the sound under throttle at 1200 RPM was delicious

15. nobby

nobby

this isn't tea bag...
    wheatsheaths in heraldry = 'GARB'
    the ploughed furrows could be considered to be 'BARRY'

Guy Patterson likes this.