Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Got some wheels, don't know much about them...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wildwest, Sep 23, 2021.

1. wildwest

wildwest

I got these out of an estate, look to be 16x10 with a a 5 on 4-3/4" two piece, marked:

ET III

the lug holes are the old style, NOT conical .

Any idea of value ?
    0923212006a.jpg 0923212006b.jpg

lothiandon1940 and Deuces like this.
  2. Current retail price for polished 16 x 10 is $475 each... ET Wheels by Team III Wheels (etmags.com)

These can be ordered with either conical seats or old-style lug nuts. Yours may not be 16 x 10 either; the 10" are one-piece cast, the wider sizes are two-piece which what yours look like.

JimSibley likes this.
  3. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Team III wheels do not have the ETIII cast into the front face and I think are all one piece. The 16 * 12 Fuellers I have (bought 2005) are certainly like that.

I had a pair of wheels like the ones pictured. I can't recall what I paid for them but it was pretty substantial. They were apparently very rare for some reason (talk of original batch of 20 pair if I recall correctly, but I had no way of checking that provenance), had the oval, unilug fixings and I was told had been trued up by Eric Vaughan (there was certainly evidence of additional machining and assorted reference marks such that the wheels could be reassembled repeatedly correctly). They had the step of the inner hoop visible through the window from the outside like the ones pictured. A poor (and expensive) polishing job made me fall out of love with them :(. I'd probably ruined them by having them polished! I had a pair of tubes that I recall were quite costly. I sold the wheels with the tubes at the LA Roadster Show Swap Meet in 2006 or 2007 and got $2400 for them.

Chris

Elcohaulic likes this.

4. dwollam

dwollam

@wildwest , Austen you come up with the coolest stuff!

Dave

Elcohaulic likes this.
  5. wildwest

wildwest

Wow, I had no idea they were any kind of special !! I don't have a use for them, because everything I have is 5 on 4 1/2. I had thought about having them re-drilled as a second option for my roadster, but probably not now !!!

one more question, I got these 5 spokes as well, the rears are 15x8.5 american racing, but the fronts are 15x6 no name, with a hole in the bead area of both wheels. Why would someone do that ?
    0923212028.jpg

6. Magfiend

Magfiend

Do you have pics of the backs? I may be able to date them that way. And they are definitely 16x10 - the 2-piece 16s were only made in a 10" width...

7. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I find it kind of odd, that only one of them has the ET cast into it. Neat wheels, though!

Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
  8. I did business with a guy that had a wheel & tire shop on the outskirts of town since I was a teenager and over the years he had a huge pile of wheels behind his shop, mags & steel rims.

I ask him what was out there and he said he had been stacking them there since ge started the business in the 60's, in the early 80's I ask if I could go through the pile and buy some of the wheels and he said sure.

I found some nice original 16" steelies, a couple of sets of 15- 5 spokes and 2 ET 111 wheels 16" x 12" wheels that was still wearing old slicks.

I was building a 29 roadster at the time and planned on using the ET 111 wheels on that car but ended up using the 5 spokes,so I took the ET's to the Charlotte Swap Meet, I had no longer pulled into the speedway and a guy walking beside the truck saw the wheels and stopped me.

He ask me how much and I said I don't know, he said I'll give you 800 bucks, I stopped and we unloaded them.

A friend of mine ask me later that day if I had sold the wheels, he went of to say there was a guy that had them for sale for 1,200 dollars, I said they are his he can do what ever he want's with them, he possibly knew the real value and I didn't.

When we left the swap meet on Sunday I had to pass the guys space on the way out, they were still sitting there, all in all I think I did pretty good on a 50 dollar investment. HRP

9. wildwest

wildwest

I just had to put my shoes on and go out to the shop and check, sure enough, only one of them has the ET III cast into them ! I didn't even notice before !! I wonder if someone in the past sanded it off before polishing ? Everything else looks identical, offset, construction, size, etc. ?

Anyone have any clues on why the holes would have been drilled in those torq thrusts ?

10. wildwest

wildwest

pics of back
    0925212044.jpg

Deuces likes this.
  11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Two different production eras of the same design.

Deuces likes this.
  12. Magfiend

Magfiend

There have been several sets of these for sale lately - $1000-$1200 for a matched pair. Not sure if these being slightly mismatched (ETIII cast on one and not the other) would hurt the value. Also, it looks like some of the recesses between the lug holes have been filled - perhaps lead for balancing??

Deuces likes this.
  13. Elcohaulic, I agree with your accountant. I started collecting Social Security at 62, and I will be 81 next month. I think that I am ahead at this point.

Deuces and Elcohaulic like this.
  14. wildwest

wildwest

So, about $800 for the pair would be realistic ?

Deuces likes this.
  15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes. These, matched, one-piece brand new are $475/ea. if they are 16x10.

List them for $800. If they were matched in the older style, they might bring more. The unmarked style is newer, and can be had new.

As has been mentioned, 16x10 should be a one-piece wheel. These are two-piece. With the modern ones that would mean 16x11 or 16x12.

Deuces likes this.
  16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are new limited-production replicas of the 16x10 two-piece wheel.

Those are $800 each, but don't match either one that you have.
    http://www.etmags.com/et_iii.html

Deuces likes this.