Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 56’ Caddy wheel covers on 50’ Merc

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by 50 Merc Man, Sep 14, 2021.

1. 50 Merc Man

50 Merc Man

Can anyone tell me what I have to do to make these hubcaps work on my Merc? The wheel hub I have now won’t work, any suggestions?
    Mike

Attached Files:

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm thinking that those caps ONLY FIT ON 56 Caddy wheels or 54/55/56 Caddy wheels. Those wheels look like they were made all wrong from the get go when you see the wheel by it's self but the way it is built is why the caps fit it and no other wheel. Hope you didn't pay much for them. 56 Caddy wheel.jpg

3. verde742

verde742

I will guarantee one way I have found, sounds silly, but get the white spoke trailer type wheels,
    they have a deep center, and are relatively cheap from a lotta tire shops..

took me a lotta trial and error And money to find this out....

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't know if they will fit on a reverse rim or not. Or on those white spoke pickup wheels that might have enough space.

Verde 742 is quicker than I am. Try before you buy and crusty sets that you can buy cheap and sand blast and paint are pretty easy to find it the caps fit an work on the pickup/trailer wheels.

5. goldenidolcustoms

goldenidolcustoms
    from Pa.

These hubcaps will only work on 56 wheels.Even the 61 and 62 wheels will not work.If you want to use them on your merc which are 5 on 5 and a half you can either redrill or use adapters.I have 56 cad wheels on my 51 merc which I'm building but I'm running buick drums which are 5 on 5.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  6. 50 Merc Man

50 Merc Man

Thanks for your replies guys, I appreciate you sharing your knowledge, I’ll keep you posted if I find a solution

7. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

the 61-64 wheels are larger outside diameter than the similar design 65-66 wheels.
    i THINK those wheel covers may fit the 65 - 66 wheels. those wheels are like a quarter inch smaller outside diameter outside.
    i’ll look thru my stuff when i get back to arizona soon.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
  8. 50 Merc Man

50 Merc Man

Thank you much!!

9. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

cadillac definitely had some unusual wheels and wheel covers during the fifties and sixties.
    they seemed to finally standardize by 1967-68.
    i have a set of 1985 chevy van wheels on my 41 cad with the 1974 (with out the plastic fins) cadillac covers on one side and early 70s oldsmobile wheelcovers on the other side. (they look somewhat similar. works because i don’t have a full set of either…)
    (and the full set of five stock cadillac 41 wheels and hubcaps sitting in the garage. awaiting a new set of www tires)
    at least the bolt pattern has been consistent. ( until the 1976 seville… then old 49-70 standard car chevrolet pattern on the RWD seville …)
    so confusing…?!

Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
  10. That’s good info right there. I’m on the lookout. Thanks!
    Looks like US Wheel makes a 6”, 7” and 8” with 5 on 5-1/2 BC new.

11. verde742

verde742

keep us informed Please .. its a real challenge .....

12. I had to reverse and offset the rims on this Merc to make these hubcaps work, they look good and worth the extra effort if you want to run them.
    39 Merc custom from a 4 dr with a Chevy grill and bumpers, Cad hubcaps and skirts - ART

[​IMG]

13. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

John Lee: Your Merc is the Cat's Ass!

14. Wow, there must be a dozen versions of white spoke wheels.
    I tried the covers on two different ones I have, no go.
    Hope to buy new in 5x5-1/2 bp.
    Any clues?

15. Bump. Still looking for wheels.