Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 41 Cadillac mild custom survivor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Squablow, Sep 23, 2021.

1. Squablow

Squablow

I always wanted a convertible of this era, and this past weekend I got the opportunity. I really was hoping when I got one it would be a driver and not another project, since I already have way too many projects. But this car was just too cool to pass up.

The car looks to be untouched since the 50's based on the ancient battery still in the tray, the tires, etc. The trunklid was shaved with lead (the lead is visible on the inside) and a '49 Buick rear bumper center section was added to put the plate in the bumper. I assume the bumper seams were covered with guards, a couple guards are in the trunk but they may have been from the front. The trunk is opened with a long choke style cable that ends at the driver's side sill plate. It's got lowering blocks in the back and the front sure looks like it's lowered too but I'm not sure how. Dual Appleton spotlights (S-550's, unusual for a custom) and one of the horn cover holes in front has a light in it marked "Passing", although that might be a factory Cadillac option, not sure. I think the top might be the original 80 year old top. Driver's seat has a cover on the bottom but the rest of the seats are not torn.

Haven't even gotten a chance to clean it yet, but here are some early pics. I'm really hoping to preserve the old paint and upholstery and only repair or fill-in where necessary. Has the original flathead V8/stick trans, hoping it can be made a runner without a full rebuild but that remains to be seen.

20210923_200754_HDR.jpg
    20210923_200811_HDR.jpg
    20210923_200844_HDR.jpg
    20210923_201011_HDR.jpg

lucky, mrspeedyt, 40FORDPU and 37 others like this.
  2. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Man that's cool ! Nice score

Hnstray and Squablow like this.
  3. Killer.
    I’d drive it.

4. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

lovely....

5. oldolds

oldolds

Cool find! I have never owned one but have had the opportunity to drive a couple of Cadillacs of that era around the block. They are really nice driving cars. Some restored, some in the same shape as yours appears to be. All drove nice

6. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Love it!!
    That's a $exy som'bitch! (.)(.)

7. Old cars and old bicycles! Heaven!

Ben

8. gatz

gatz

neat ol' car !!

Squablow likes this.
  9. Cool.....have fun !

Squablow likes this.
  10. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thats awesome! I'd get that bad boy running and drive the shit out of it just the way it is!

Squablow likes this.
  11. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

i’ve the 4dsd version of it. needs some body repair, paint and now needs F62E7FA0-EE2F-41F8-A79A-1C417142F894.jpeg a new interior… it’s a fun driver!

Squablow likes this.
  12. wicarnut

wicarnut

KOOL ! Congrats !

Squablow likes this.
  13. Dangerousdan

Dangerousdan
    from Arizona

The 41' has always been a favorite. Great start. con-grads

14. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Heck yeah, nice score and I'd bet you won't see another at a car show! Here is a similar 40 from Texas for inspira Screenshot_20210924-080428_Messages.jpg IMG_5715.jpg tion.

15. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Damn! That appears to be a great score. And, it's now in good hands. Keep us up to date with any progress you make. This looks to be a killer project!.:cool:

16. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

That’s a neat car!
    Please post some more pictures!
    What are your plans?

Squablow likes this.
  17. Squablow

Squablow

I will be sure to post more pictures here as work begins but that might be a little while, as winter is coming to Wisconsin soon and I have a lot of work to do to prepare for that. I'll at least try to get some pics of the interior, which looks like it's going to clean up surprisingly nice.

But the plan is to see how much life I can breathe back into this paint job, chrome, and upholstery without redoing the whole car, and to go through as much mechanical stuff as it takes to make it functional and safe.

I've got some Appleton 112's that might be more appropriate for a custom than the flat back 550's that are on it, and I've got some 51-52 Cad full wheel covers that can get used, and I'll just keep the one remaining hubcap and the old spot lights on a shelf with the car. I'll also need to do something with the fog light/horn cover holes up front, as one is missing and the other is broken. But I don't plan to do any heavy custom changes to it, I want it to be generally just like it was when it was put away.

18. Wow. Congrats. Welcome to the club. for the foglights , there are delete plates and the spots. Some of the real customs of the era would actually mold that area closed flat. The foglight buckets show up from time to time on eBay. For some reason if you wait it out you Might find fog lights cheaper than the delete plates.

Is this the car that was out of New Jersey. Looks similar. Btw that is very very mild if just the bumper and shaved deck.

Look up Rik’s customs chronicle there are a few distinct ‘41 Cadillac customs.
    I really want to sink my License plate into the deck.
    also may do a custom removable hardtop. Not a Carson top.
    good luck.

19. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Fantastic! What a great road cruiser this will be.

20. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

man.
    that’s a 40 la salle. lil’ brother to big brother cad.
    (and definitely a nice car.)

Lone Star Mopar likes this.
  21. Squablow

Squablow

Your signature line is exactly what I kept telling myself lately, but I just couldn't walk away from this one! I might have some questions specific to '41 Cad in the future, if you don't mind me asking I might send those your way since you have one nearly identical.

As for custom stuff, it's pretty much just the shaved trunk, modified rear bumper, lowering with blocks in the back and the spotlights as far as I can tell, unless the one "passing" light in the front is something that was added, so yes, very mild. I like it that way though, it's just custom enough to call it a mild custom.

EDIT Not from NJ, the car was bought fairly locally here in Wisconsin but I really didn't get any history with it, unfortunately. I might have an avenue to check out that may lead to some history but if not, it's likely lost.

22. Feel free to PM me. I have learned a lot and even stumped the Hamb with my car.
    ‘41 Cads are special, might be the exception to my own advice.
    They were one of the first cars that could claim 100mph from the factory. I drive mine about 70 no problems.
    There good parts seller with decent prices. I tend to find the best deals on eBay. You just have to wait it out.

You can get some of the history on it through the Cadillac Museum.

also note that my sig is more for those who keep buying up 400.00 Project to have about 10-15 heaps instead of a couple nice cars.

23. catdad49

catdad49

Wow, Great start to a Custom Cruiser! Clean, preen, get her running and safe to hit the road, she’ll be Mighty Fine.

24. Great score, congrats!

25. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

Congrats to you!! Nice survivor! Hope you are able to dig up some history on it, its always cool to hear the stories behind them.

Max Gearhead likes this.
  26. Very kool car! Congrats!

27. Squablow

Squablow

I have been itching to see how the paint on this car is going to clean up, so late last night and this morning I made a quick pass over the passenger side. The heavy rust stains on the hood had to get scrubbed off with SOS, the whole side got a gentle buffing with Wizards on a foam pad and then I waxed it with some black color-matched Turtle Wax stuff. The paint needs a lot of fill-ins (especially on the driver's side, that's why I started on the passenger side) and the chrome needs much more attention but I can already tell this car is going to clean up really well. It's got that old lacquer paint glow to it.

20211005_110527_HDR.jpg
    20211005_115116_HDR.jpg
    20211005_115040_HDR.jpg

mrspeedyt, 40LUV, abe lugo and 12 others like this.
  28. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Heck yeah man that cleaned up real well, nice work.