Register now to get rid of these ads!

History MOON hub caps or cheap knockoffs?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by The37Kid, Sep 23, 2021.

1. The37Kid

The37Kid

I picked up these two hubcaps, knockoffs or did MOOM make them with the attachment rings? Thanks. Bob DSCF8242.JPG DSCF8243.JPG DSCF8244.JPG ? Bob

26 T Ford RPU and loudbang like this.
  2. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No..not that I have ever seen. Every true Moon disc I have ever had “Moon” was stamped in them. Eelco made some nice ones in the 60’s.

If you wanted them to snap on you riveted them to beauty rings. When the wide ones came along on the DB Camaro rims it made for a nice look.

loudbang, Deuces and The37Kid like this.
  3. What Jimmie said.....look for a little little "moon" stamp inside.....

loudbang, Deuces and The37Kid like this.
  4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm going to say that those were made by someone else but actually may not have been cheaper than the real deal moon caps when new. I'm like Jimmy Six, I don't think moon sold ones that snapped on back in the day. They may have sold some with the clips to pop them on later though.

loudbang and The37Kid like this.

5. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Calnevar or Namsco. They dented as soon as you touched them.

loudbang, jimmy six and The37Kid like this.
  6. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If it has this at each hole it’s a Moon! This one is clear coated. 83A11978-8F42-42A5-B750-919B7ADEA07F.jpeg

As good as this looks it’s made in Taiwan ROC. No Moon stamp
    272FC36E-C2D6-484A-B302-1B0E2845DD2F.jpeg

41 GMC K-18, loudbang and The37Kid like this.
  7. Big Dad

Big Dad

Speedway motors looks like to me .. I put a set on my old camper at the track

loudbang likes this.
  8. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Discs pictured are Not MOON, as mentioned MOON would be stamped. On the outside. As pictured above.
    Dean Moon even 'patented' somebody's self-tapping screws to attach the discs with. He called them 'Moon screws'.
    Later, he recommended attaching them with Dzus fasteners. (Very Bonneville!)
    Couple of friends lost Moon discs at speed, from not checking screws for tightness. The screws would loosen, and the discs would move, 'wallowing' the screw holes. One would shrug out, (at speed) then it was Flying Disc!
    I liked the look, (on some cars) My '53 Stude looked killer....

loudbang and The37Kid like this.
  9. I had some snap on type on my coupe at one time. Going to a cruise one night and one came off after hitting a pothole. A buddy behind me said it hit the road, went into the air like a flying saucer and over the embankment and into the woods. Probably wouldn't have been any good if i did find it..

Jrs50, The37Kid and loudbang like this.
  10. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Yeah, they really flew good...Plus, the beauty ring on the inside would have given them some 'stability'.
    Bet they were the cause of more than a few of the UFO sightings back then...

11. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

The snap-on ones cry phony. You ain't a dry lake racer 'cause they would never pass Inspection.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  12. The37Kid

The37Kid

Just spinning the fake ones would have cost more with that rolled over outer lip.

13. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

My bud Jim and I turned some in high school metal shop. Jim carved the wooden buck in wood shop, then we took turns turning 'em out in 6th period metal shop.
    Guys liked 'em, we never used any of the ones we made. Sold 'em all. (1956)

stillrunners and 302GMC like this.
  14. 3quarter32

3quarter32

In early sixtys, you could buy the clamp ons for 19.95 set. They were good quality and quite heavy, meaning not cheap.

15. I have a set of those in 14'', very thin. Got them in the late 70's. JW