Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Fry's Model A coupe build RECAP

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fry, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Bad ass right there!

Stogy, Fry and Kan Kustom like this.
  2. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Oh yeah ! Now were talkin.

Stogy, Gotgas, Fry and 1 other person like this.
  3. Fry

Fry
    from SK, Canada

Thanks guys. I appreciate the likes and comments!

Stogy likes this.
  4. Fry

Fry
    from SK, Canada

Small update on the beater, I took her out to the drag races as mentioned in this thread last summer, https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/took-the-beater-to-the-drags.1205538/
    At the races I had some issues with shifting at max rpm, I think it was attributed to having the clutch release bearing give up the day before so I shoved in a spare I had. While I was doing it I thought I should set a little more free travel, in doing so I probably limited the total travel of the fork and didn't allow for full disengagement.
    So I found another super T10 that was actually really cheap and great shape so I stuck that in there as parts for rebuilding it was more than a new richmond unit. (I had accelerated the wear on the synchro teeth on the shafts lol)
    This new one has the stronger close ratio gearset but aluminum case. So far so good with it.
    I also got new pedals for my swinging pedal setup, Rjays sent me new arms on their dime for a better ratio on the brakes, since I didn't think I had enough leverage. I cleaned them up and drilled them to match, also went ahead and bought some moon pedals that I had been craving since the beginning of the build but couldn't justify.
    IMG_2689.JPG
    IMG_2719.JPG

I had found a great deal on a new lakewood SFI bellhousing so when swapping the trans out I installed it at the same time. I ran into problems with my H-pipe for the exhaust and clearance at the new bellhousing so I decided to ditch it and install some dumps in place of where it was.
    While doing that I thought it would be a good idea to finally run the exhaust all the way out the back. I just used an inexpensive "exhaust builder" kit 2.5" aluminized, it was a lot of messing around to fit the mufflers (which is why I didn't do it in the first place). I had to run them on an angle up between the crossmember and diff for everything to fit. Turned out pretty decent though.
    IMG_4783.JPG IMG_4777.JPG

Heres a sound clip, the mufflers are the same pypes race pros I've had since I first did the exhaust, but had them just dumped before the axle. This is way quieter and zero fumes in the cab which is a bonus. I've been reading a lot about cops harping on modified cars in the province. The rules want the exhaust exiting behind passenger compartment, so this will keep johnny law off my case, since it was probably the only thing on her that they could hassle me for.

Flipper, AHotRod, Stogy and 11 others like this.
  5. Fry

Fry
    from SK, Canada

Another video, this is with the dumps open. Waking her up early this spring. So happy to have a beater instead of having to wait for clean streets, no snow, no gravel, etc. The season is so short as it is here, would suck to have something too nice to drive.

AHotRod, Stogy, Hotrodmyk and 9 others like this.
  6. oldsman41

oldsman41

The young builders need to read this thread you did great man thanks for sharing

Stogy and Fry like this.
  7. Fry

Fry
    from SK, Canada

Thanks, I agree. I wanted to show the other side of hot rodding in this thread.
    It's easy to get wrapped up in the social media hot rodders who only show the best of the best.. the biggest budgets, the rarest parts, the highest skilled details in every part... Once I got past using them as a bench mark, and learned to do my best work within my skills and budget, it made my hot rod goals more fun and obtainable.
    In the end, once it was on the road, I realized, no one with a nicer car is having as much fun as I am.
    Here's some proof from summer lol,
    Me and the daughter doing a cruise night in Moose Jaw, SK.

IMG_5276.JPG IMG_5278.JPG IMG_5281.JPG IMG_5298.JPG

8. Fry

Fry
    from SK, Canada

Stole the wheel from my 55 and tried a different look for a bit.
    Bigs and littles
    IMG_5352.JPG
    Fake-nesium graphite spray
    IMG_5386.JPG IMG_5403.JPG

mad mikey, AHotRod, brEad and 9 others like this.
  9. Fry

Fry
    from SK, Canada

Camping in Cypress Hills, Alberta with the boy
    Touring the back roads and fishing.
    IMG_5419.JPG IMG_5461.JPG IMG_5475.JPG OHYX2736.JPG IMG_5414.JPG

mad mikey, AHotRod, razoo lew and 9 others like this.
  10. Fry

Fry
    from SK, Canada

Grocery getter

NMBI4656.JPG
    Teaching the daughter to drive a old hot rod with manual steering, brakes and a 4 spd.

RLFV4012.JPG

mad mikey, AHotRod, brEad and 8 others like this.
  11. Fry

Fry
    from SK, Canada

Couple of snaps from lethbridge street wheelers cruise weekend.
    IMG_5509.JPG IMG_5532.JPG OHOE9263.JPG

mad mikey, AHotRod, brEad and 13 others like this.
  12. oldsman41

oldsman41

IMO this is hot rodding

13. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

This I can definitely relate to!

Stogy and Fry like this.
  14. Sweet ride- looks like fun times.

Stogy and Fry like this.
  15. Bitchin car for sure, love the cast wheels w/o the fake-nesium better than with.
    The memories you’re making with the kids will be some of your fondest I’m sure.
    Well done brother.;)

Stogy and Fry like this.
  16. rusty_bits

rusty_bits

Still love this thread, every time it comes back up, thank you.

Blues4U, Stogy and Fry like this.
  17. Fry

Fry
    from SK, Canada

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

Stogy likes this.
  18. Fry

Fry
    from SK, Canada

I didn't run them long either way. I bought the rear tires thinking they'd be a good highway setup.
    But they didn't run as tall as advertised so I was revving to the moon, they also shook and various mph and took a pound of weight to balance. I contacted summit and they refunded me no problems.
    I still have them and will keep them to run around town, but I prefer the bias look myself.
    I think they handle/ride about as good or better than the radials anyway.

Stogy and brEad like this.
  19. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I'm kind of diggin' that fakenesium look, and I didn't think I would. It just works with that car.

What are those rear tires anyway, just curious. They probably offer better grip than the bias, and being a little smaller diameter, might be good for a day at the drags.

Stogy likes this.
  20. lake_harley

lake_harley

^^^^^^It would be a bit wordy for a motto I suppose, but what you said is the absolute truth. Thank you Fry, for wording it so well!

Sometime you have to decide good enough is good enough. There are probably a LOT of cars in shops and garages around the world seeking "perfection", but the ones that have been built to a reasonable level of finish, are built safely and are out driving bring a whole lot more joy to the owners.

Great thread. I'm going to take the time to go back and re-read the whole thing.

Lynn

Stogy, brEad, Blues4U and 1 other person like this.
  21. Fry

Fry
    from SK, Canada

Coker bf silvertown in a 285/70. Yeah they stuck better that the bias plies for sure. But I do still have some 29x10 slicks around if I need traction. That’s a different look as well.

C0C3B309-C26A-499B-B99A-880E2901686D.jpeg

22. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

^^^ Nice! ^^^

mad mikey and Stogy like this.
  23. 51farmtruck

51farmtruck

I enjoyed reading through this thread. You built yourself a real hot rod. One that will take serious abuse and still drive back home. I follow you on Instagram and like seeing this car and your 55 come up on the feed. Love to see the wheel and tire change ups, I do the same thing with my 32 on a monthly basis.

I may be a little biased, but you have good tastes dude!

IMG_5509.JPG 312_zps00705dbe.jpg

mad mikey, AHotRod, LilDuec and 3 others like this.
  24. Fry

Fry
    from SK, Canada

I think the same thing about yours! It's the reason I wanted to spray my wheels.

Stogy likes this.
  25. mgermca

mgermca

Great build! Thanks for this alternate build thread Justin, much better with pictures!

Fry and Stogy like this.
  26. Great thread Fry, thanks for taking time to post up the clips and photos...inspirational build.. :cool:

Fry and Stogy like this.
  27. razoo lew

razoo lew
    from Calgary

..not much else can be said. Great car, great thread

Fry and Stogy like this.
  28. Fry

Fry
    from SK, Canada

Thanks guys. I appreciate it.
    Just noticed today that I just rolled past 7000 miles. It’s been a little less traveling these last two years with covid restrictions, but still nice to be racking up the miles.

LSJUNIPER, brEad and Blues4U like this.
  29. Just read through this thread. Top shelf work all the way through. You are blessed with a beautiful family, great skills and an enviable work ethic. Congratulations on all.

Fry likes this.
  30. AHotRod

AHotRod

What did you use to spray the wheels that Mag color?

mad mikey likes this.