Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Clip from universal oil plug popped off inside pan. Options?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by IzzyGarcia7, Sep 24, 2021.

1. IzzyGarcia7

IzzyGarcia7

While doing an oil change, I was screwing the plug back into the pan (a universal plug put in by the previous owner) and the clip on the inside of the pan popped off. The pan is empty obviously, nothing else has been put in just yet. Could I get a magnet and try and lead it out? Are there any options here, or am I going to need to drop the pan completely?

2. Mimilan

Mimilan

Leave a drain pan underneath, and pour about 1 gallon of gasoline into the engine .
    Repeat a few times
    Hopefully it will drain out fast enough to take the clip with it.

This method is also good if you're tapping another thread into the pan and need to wash out the filings.

IzzyGarcia7 likes this.
  3. Leave it, its not going anywhere. JW

4. Ottox1

Ottox1

You could also stick a strong magnet (like one out of an old disk drive - awesome magnets!) on the pan, and leave it. That way you’re sure it won’t do any damage.

5. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

How hard is it to pull the pan? Takes 10 minutes on my car, so I would do it. You would be surprised what is still in there after you drain it.

6. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Doubt it could ever even get picked up by the oil pump pickup, plus the screen would never allow it to get into the pump. I wouldn't even worry about it.

egads and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  7. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What does it hold? Will it screwup the the function of the drain.

lowrd, Budget36 and Cooon like this.
  8. RmK57

RmK57

Even if you could drop the pan just an 1" or 2. Should be enough to fish it out with telescopic magnet.

IzzyGarcia7 likes this.
  9. Budget36

Budget36

That’s what I was wondering as well. I’m not familiar with a universal drain plug.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  10. IzzyGarcia7

IzzyGarcia7

I did just flush the engine, so it might just be a good idea to clean out the pan anyway.

11. IzzyGarcia7

IzzyGarcia7

The clip basically acts as a nut that grabs the inside of the pan while you screw it in from the outside. My only worry is that it'll get carried by the oil through the engine. So basically the nut popped off into the pan while I'm left with the bolt that now screws into nothing. (Universals tighten to clamp the drain closed as opposed to using a threaded bolt that plugs the entire drain)

Budget36 likes this.
  12. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like the magnet idea (strong rare earth magnet). They sell them at HF. Just walk the clip back over to the hole.

13. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

sounds like a good time to drop the pan and get a new one.. this clip plug arrangement sounds hokey as hell to me

14. Like the voice of reason, ( Mark ),suggested ,,,,drop the pan and do it right and be done with it .
    Then you will never have to worry with again .

Tommy

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
    427 sleeper, X38, Moriarity and 2 others like this.
  15. If you drop the pan replace it with one with a real drain plug and what i do is put a magnet in there too, usually some strip magnet from a fridge door. JW

16. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

As my dad used to tell me “ if you can’t find time to do it right the first time when are you going to find time to do it over” I think Mark has given you sound advice!

Hnstray, Moriarity and TagMan like this.
  17. junkman8888

junkman8888

Remember Murpy's law applies to all automotive endeavors; the chance that drain plug will fall out for no apparent reason increases the further away you are from home.

Desoto291Hemi and VANDENPLAS like this.
  18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

19. An emergency idea. And that's about all.
    Same theory as things you use in plaster sheet walls to attach not very heavy objects.

20. oldsman41

oldsman41

I would drop the pan and weld in a new bung no more problems

nunattax likes this.