Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Building My First Roadster in San Francisco

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Sep 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

As I worked out in the driveway of di Falco Fabrications, I could't help but get a full-fledged feeling of excitement. "This," I said to myself as I worked with the old frame, "is what hot rodding is all about." Seriously. This is what Jake did. Bud Bryan. Tom McMullen. Gary Kessler. Bob McGee. Doyle Gammell. Fred Steele. Tom Pollard. Harry Luzader. Bob Rothenberg. The Ramblers. The Early Times. The L.A. Roadsters. These guys had Deuce frames on jack stands in their driveways at one point or another. They started small and built the cars they dreamed of. That's what we're doing here.

Even though Version 2.0 is just getting started, I'm already feeling a new level of energy for the project. I feel like I've come so far and learned so much, but at the same time I have everything to learn. Thanks everyone for joining in on this project. We have a whole lot of fun ahead!

2. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Sunday was spent doing field research at San Francisco's "Still Here" chopper show. Yama debuted his crazy Panhead survivor and I took lots of notes on things I liked. IMG_8548.jpg
    Yep, we're still here!
    IMG_8544.jpg
    My friend Stephen's perfect Pan.
    IMG_8545.jpg
    If you stay tuned to this thread, you'll be seeing more of this treatment in the not-so-distant future.
    IMG_8543.jpg
    Yama and his Pan, now equipped with an early I-beam springer. Very proud friend moment for sure. IMG_8564.jpg
    After the show, I hit the local grocery store in the roadster. While pulling in, who did I find but Poppy! Who? Poppy is one of Cruise's self-driving cars, part of a fleet that that roams the streets of San Francisco. Looks like she made a new friend!

I love the juxtaposition of high- and low-tech.

3. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Sidebar #19: The Flying Quail

Last night, I drove the roadster to the Sunset district for a friend's birthday barbecue. Now that I have the larger pulley, it seems as if the car has no problem running in the dark with the headlights on. As the party wound down, I began saying my goodbyes. With one foot out the garage door, one of my friends asked if I rode my Harley. "Nope," I said. "I drove the roadster."

Well, it wasn't long before a whole gaggle of folks shuffled outside to see what all this "old school" talk was. Does it have a roof? Do I need a helmet? Is it loud? It's how old? There, on the warmest San Francisco night, under a full moon, I got to show everyone what I had been working on for the past year. A neat feeling for sure.

As I prepared to leave, a new friend asked if she could get a ride home. Seeing that it was pretty much on the route back, I said it would be no problem at all. It was extra fun cutting through the old neighborhoods, jamming gears, and doing my best to explain what the hell kind of car we were riding in.

Once she was home safely, I jumped back on 19th Avenue and headed towards the Terrace. For those of you who have ever been to San Francisco, you know 19th runs through the Sunset and is notoriously busy—and ridden with rough pavement. Nonetheless, I pushed on. The car was running better than ever and all was right in the world. Taraval. Santiago. Rivera. Quintara. The big streets came and went through my chopped windshield frame. I looked towards the upcoming intersection. As I did, I noticed my quail radiator cap start to wobble. One bump later and it was gone, down beneath the car and out of the picture.

"Noooooo!" I said, trying not to panic. That was a gift from @winduptoy and one of my favorite pieces on the entire machine. A few water droplets splashed onto the windshield as I pulled onto Judah, right near the N-line. I brought the car safely to a stop and contemplated my next move.

This was a two-fold problem. First, I lost my beloved quail. Second, I didn't have a radiator cap, and I was still more than a mile from home. Just like in times past on this build, I took a deep breath and told myself to stay calm. It was a little after 11 p.m. on a Monday, and luckily most of the Sunset seemed to have been asleep. Walking along the sidewalk, I retraced my steps, scanning the road for any glint of chrome quail. I though I saw it next to the median, but that ended up being a gas station cup. Damn.

Then, on the right side of the road, next to the tire of a parked car, I found it! Other than a couple scratches and a small chip out of the bottom, he emerged unscathed. I couldn't believe it! Victorious, I walked back to the car and twisted him back in place. It appears as if the gaskets (or what was left of them) had seen better days, so I gave him a safety wire leash. I should have taken a picture, but I was too concerned about getting home. You'll be glad to hear that I made it back from there without incident.

Now that I have a new quail gasket set on order, I can say that he'll wear those scars with pride. The way I see it, he now matches the rest of the car even better—and he sure has one hell of a story to tell. IMG_8601.jpg
    Safe, sound and sideways quail. Note the neon sign from my incredible friend Patrick Knight in Louisville. We'll have a big story about him and that sign in the not-so-distant future.

4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Doncha hate when that happens...I remember back when I was your age I was changing lanes on a busy highway with the Old Hydraglide and glancing back and off came my prescription glasses...I pulled off the road immediately blind as a bat parked, ran back, got to where I thought it happened, saw them in the open lane...couldn't go out...cars coming and didn't one run right the 'F' over them...crunch crunch...was kinda blurry going home...:oops:

Glad your outcome was somewhat better...:)

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
  5. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Update was worth the wait :)

6. SilverJimmy

SilverJimmy

7. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Great update.
    My son tells the story of one of his Moon discs flying past him and sailing into a corn field in Texas.
    I built a temporary tank with wood beams and a sheet of plastic to soak my roadster frame in Citric acid and water. The rust went away in a few days and the solution is harmless food grade citric acid and water. Pour it down the drain. No harm done it won't even cause cancer in California. :eek:

8. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Might be a tad bit pricey but the body would look good on the '32 frame. Keep the roadster as a banger and make the p/u into an AV8? Just an easy trip down the I-5 to SoCal.:cool: 00U0U_fT047RLGtI1z_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg
    https://losangeles.craigslist.org/ant/cto/d/tehachapi-1929-model-truck/7383884432.html
    1929 Model A Truck - $6,700 (Tehachapi)
    Selling a Model A Pick Up for 6500.00. Complete except missing the seat and headlights. Would make a Great Hot Rod and these trucks are getting hard to find. Working on getting a title, but hasn't been in the DMV system for over 20 years.

9. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

60 pages Kid and still going strong......

10. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And not that it matters but not "Featured". Not sure I understand what determines "featured" or not but regardless this is a kick ass thread. IMO.

11. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

featured thread = the computer notices a lot of traffic/ clicks to a particular thread.

it has zero to do with quality of the thread etc. no one is sorting threw and choosing which threads will pop up in the little “featured threads” spot

Outback, J.Ukrop, tb33anda3rd and 2 others like this.
  12. Jeff34

Jeff34

I saw it. It's only about 10 minutes from me. I didn't see the auction until late yesterday, so it was done. The REM Engineering engine looks AWESOME!

Joey, Great to see you out on the streets. I see you got sandwiches from Petaluma Market...good choice! I may scoot by David's shop on Saturday to see if you're there.

Stogy, J.Ukrop, Six Ball and 2 others like this.
  13. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Put this on the banger frame for an around town parts/errand runner and the roadster body on the av8 setup. You could us it to tow the v8 home when it breaks down. :)

14. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

That thing is super cool. I really like the idea of a second body, but the budget is preeety tight right now. You guys will find out why this weekend...

We just keep on having fun, don't we?

Thank you! For me it's not about "Featured" or not. It's about building this car with all of my friends (yes, that means you guys!) This thread also serves as a good way for you guys to make sure I'm not stalling on this thing!

Great eye! Petaluma Market is the spot. I walked in there wearing my Hillbilly Crash Helmet the other day and people couldn't tell if I was some sort of wizard, lost or both. I love the sandwiches there. I'm going to be at David's tomorrow because I have the RPM Nationals Saturday. The following Saturday is TROG, so it'll be a little while before I can get back up there. Hopefully see you soon!

Hahah the way the banger was running today, I think that might be a true statement. It's happy to be back on the streets!

catdad49, Outback, 48fordnut and 6 others like this.
  15. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Today I was penciled in to be driving the car to RPM. Since I am no longer doing that, I took today to relax, catch up with a few personal things and drive the car around the city. IMG_8645.jpg
    First, lunch at Tony's Cable Car. Man, I forgot how good their curly fries are.
    IMG_8648.jpg
    Then, I brought my food, book club book and notebook to the beach. IMG_8650.jpg
    Lastly, I went for a mini-hike through Golden Gate Park. I love this city.

It's been a really busy summer—which I'm happy about—but it was really nice to just take today to do my own thing, relax and unwind. I'm feeling recharged for some big things ahead. Thanks for coming along!

16. Nobey

Nobey

Joey, did you know they used to have auto racing in Golden Gate Park back in the day?
    That Park has a lot of History and is a great place to visit, nice to see your little roadster
    sitting there in the photo......

17. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey @J.Ukrop , I love the paint drips on the rear deck lid of your killer roadster! You will have to forgive my shaky hand on the mouse, I am sure stogy and moose are a million times better at this than I am. This is just an idea and nothing more. But what if you took a fresh new sharpie pen, and just went around the edges of the paint drips, to give them more definition ? I know the car is perfect as it is right now, and if it ever does get painted, then no harm. And this is just a picture as well. But I do like the look, in a small way, it reminds me of possibly a " cowhide " pattern.
    Thanks for posting the cool shots of the roadster in Golden Gate Park and at the beach !

joeys roadster (2).jpg

catdad49, Outback, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  18. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Don't you dare take a Sharpie pen to the outline of the dripping paint.
    Just let faded paint be faded paint - no need to highlight anything - let things be - leave it alone.

19. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

^^^^^^^
    This!!!

41 GMC K-18 and Six Ball like this.
  20. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

That sharpee will bleed threw any new primer or paint no matter how much you scrub it off.

if you have to mark it, which I wouldn’t, have someone do it with one shot enamel.

Stogy, 41 GMC K-18 and Six Ball like this.
  21. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The cool thing about editing tools on the computer is, it will let you see what can be done with out having to really do it to the real car ! Relax, as stated, "it was just an idea and nothing more ". Gotta love the H.A.M.B.
    You get instant feedback from the inhabitants of the H.A.M.B. universe on any topic you can imagine !

I am shocked (2).jpg

catdad49, Outback, Stogy and 5 others like this.
  22. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

When I was in grade school in Texas we read a story about the building of Golden Gate Park in Readers Digest. I was the only kid in the class that had been there. A very cool place with lots of class. I learned to love tea & cookies there. :D It's good to see you enjoying the City. I enjoy the images of the roadster in the City. We don't hear much good about it these days.:(

Stogy, Joe Blow, J.Ukrop and 3 others like this.
  23. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

The City needs a good cleaning, that's all.

bchctybob, guitarguy, Jeff34 and 6 others like this.
  24. 97

Great photography Joey,
    That could have been anytime between 1930 and now. In a city of millions you managed to get a shot of what three people(including yourself were up to on a Sunday afternoon, and nothing there ...nothing! to give it a narrower timeline. A convenient leaf hides the possible lycra on the cyclist!
    upload_2021-9-25_13-28-59.jpeg

25. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Joey, I was leafing through an old photo album I picked up at a flea market and wanted to share a photo I found.

toppng.com-polaroid-png-745x870.png

Some eccentric young fellow in a hot rod car?

26. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

A great observation! It was a perfect afternoon in the park, that's for sure.

Hahahah this is the best thing I've seen in a long time. As I was reading I was thinking, "Oh! This could be a potential story..." This is even better! You nailed it. Now we need one of you and your coupe!

27. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

4M5A2398.jpg
    By the time you read this, I'll be well on my way to the RPM Nationals. I'm a little sad that I'm not driving my car, but it just isn't fully ready for a trip like that. Won't be long now, won't be long.

I did, however, get a new camera for work. Naturally I had to test it on the Terrace. Once I finish detailing the interior and swapping the rear brakes, a full-fledged photo shoot is in order. But more on that later.

For those of you who will be in Santa Margarita, please flag me down and say hi. I'll be the one with all the cameras and some sort of strange hat. I'd love to put some names to faces and check out your projects!

JalopyJimbo, catdad49, Stogy and 10 others like this.
  28. RodStRace

RodStRace

trevorsworth, I was going to chastise you that the only problem with your find is that early developed pictures had an even border all around, and that the Polaroid Land camera film had the big bottom border to contain the mixture to make the picture develop. I thought this tech was not really available until the 60s, but on checking, the first examples were sold in 1948! You are just fine with that border and I learned something today!

https://theoldtimey.com/polaroid-camera/

Outback, kidcampbell71, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  29. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I'm back from RPM—and I'm inspired to keep things moving. Stay tuned for a full feature on The Jalopy Journal this Friday.

Today was a huge day for the car. Why? Well, let's just say I picked up one of the biggest pieces of the puzzle and, you guessed it, there's plenty of story to tell. IMG_8743.jpg
    More tomorrow.

30. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER