Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 62 Pontiac Tempest. New world for this Ford guy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Frank, Aug 13, 2021.

1. greybeard360

greybeard360

That is a Catalina.... Not a Tempest. Look at the sign in front of the car.

Deuces likes this.
  2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

It's also a tad new for the HAMB.

3. Poncho60

Poncho60
    from N Illinois

For 1963 Pontiac built 12 Tempests w 421 SD engines and special transaxles which were two 2 speed autos in series for 4 speeds and hooked up w a clutch. That larger dia drive "shaft" was NOT the weak link in those setups.

triumph 1, Elcohaulic and Deuces like this.
  4. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

Oops sorry, I had a senior moment!

Deuces likes this.
  5. Frank

Frank

Can anyone tell me what the widest wheels are you can fit, particularly on the rear? I've been trying to picture different wheels and keep coming back to the look of Welds or Halibrand kidney-beans. I don't have the car yet. Waiting on some things to align before and if I decide to pull the trigger.

6. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Those 63 and down Tempests were great snow belt cars..

I had one that used to go places only four wheelers went.. It was a 63 Tempest, two door hard top, dark green, black interior. It came with a 326-4 barrel, 4 speed, 3.23 ratio.

We put a 389 from a 64 Bonneville in it, everything bolted right up. It was mostly stock but we put the 067 cam in it. We kept the Carter four barrel and iron Pontiac intake but we ground about 20 pounds off it removing the exhaust crossover. .I came across a set of Long Branch manifolds that we made fit.. It turned out looking real nice.
    My one buddy worked in a Pontiac dealership garage from fifties to seventies. He knew these cars well.. He rebuilt the transmission / rear end assembly. He really beefed it up because I used to drive that Tempest really hard some times and nothing ever gave me any trouble.. He used to check the rear end from time to time with a 3' level and one of those little round balance bubbles to make sure everything was good. Too this day I have no idea what he was looking for. I think he was making himself look important so he didn't have to buy any beer. :p:D
    We all used to hang out in my garage in the alley. There were four other garages with teens hanging out building cars. The pavement was covered with burn out rubber lol..

Like I said this little Mohawk Worrier used to go on the war path really hard.. Having all that weight right on top of the rear traction wheels really helped this car to get underway with a smooth but rapid feeling. Gear changes were super nice once we rebuilt the linkage.. That same dude rebuilt the linkage too. He used parts from Hurst, Mr. Gasket and P&G..

7. triumph 1

triumph 1

Cool car for sure. Congrats! I always wanted one to stuff a poncho V8 in........

8. turbo69bird

turbo69bird
    from CT

9. glrbird

glrbird

My Dad was shopforman for Superior when I was in High School, this was my introduction to A/FX racing. I have love them every since. This car even held National record for a short time. B5F797DB-8026-4563-8C7B-A8BA8E60F3F5.jpeg

Elcohaulic likes this.
  10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd suggest not putting wide tires on the back as the driveshaft won't handle it. They barely handle regular driving. My room mate had one when we were in trade school and they went through about ten drive shafts before they got one that actually would work.

11. frieghtrain

frieghtrain

Hi Frank. I read your post and a couple of other posts ,but not all, on the tempest, Some may have already said this, I don't know but,Mickey Thompson Hotroded one whith a 4-71 supercharger cam and four barrel cars. there is a lot of atricles on it and a Youtube video too. Good luck. P,S, I own one too. Tranny repair kits and parts almost non-existent.