Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Flathead motor mounts

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by kennj, Apr 9, 2020.

1. kennj

kennj

does anyone have a picture of the correct way to install motor mounts and bushings on a 36/48 ford flathead

2. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just drilled a hole in the hockey puck, says made in Canada on it for some reason.

Desoto291Hemi and warbird1 like this.
  3. kennj

kennj

Thanks, looks like po put them in wrong with bolt going down and the nut on the bottom

4. I've never liked the bolt head against the lower cushion. I put a washer there too.

5. alchemy

alchemy

Henry did also.

6. kennj

kennj

Sounds like a good idea, thanks

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It might depend on what year of kit you have I think the mounts I have are 52 F-1 and the holes are the same so it wouldn't matter which way the bolt went.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
  8. kilohertz

kilohertz
    from Vernon, BC

How tight should the nut be on the bolt? Enough to compress the rubber cushions? Just enough to keep the bolt from rattling? As there is a cotter pin I would surmise that it shouldn't be too tight. I saw one today that the rubber was squashed out from under the upper washer....There is no info on motor mounts in the factory manual I have.

thanks!

9. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

If it says, "Made in Canada" you have one of the deluxe versions and you'll never have a problem with it! When you give you car a hard stomp you'll be travelling like a slap shot...

Budget36 and Bandit Billy like this.
  10. I've heard of hockey pucks crumbling apart over time when used as engine mounts.
    Just like Chinese rubber.

warhorseracing and Bandit Billy like this.
  11. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was planning some roadster maintenance over the winter after I finish painting the PU, I'll pull those out and inspect them. Better safe than sorry. Thanks for the heads up.

12. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Looks like this. The motor mounts are also used as the rear transmission mounts.
    I used an acorn as found on the king pin stop.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
  13. 1952henry

1952henry

I recall hockey pucks being used as body lifts during the "lift it to the clouds " craze of the 80s . I think the same concerns were expressed about pucks crumbling back then.

14. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I always use and sell the biscuits with the stainless band around them, helps prevent squishing.

X38 likes this.
  15. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Probably not Canadian pucks! LOL

Bandit Billy likes this.
  16. nobux

nobux

I have about 5 years on my latest set of hockey puck motor mounts with no signs of crumbling.

17. I bought a couple of sets urethane mounts from Reds, made by Flatattack (haven't used them yet). Seems they don't make them anymore.

18. chiro

chiro

FWIW...The shoulder on the big bolt would not fit through the hole on the big washer on the top of the mounts I bought. I had to ream the big washer opening larger in order to tighten the mounts down. Keep an eye out for that.
    Andy