Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Looking at a car in California

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ratfink56, Sep 23, 2021.

1. CME1

CME1

No matter which State you live in, if you try to title a car using a title from another car, that is FRAUD! And it will be your butt that will pay! No matter how good this deal is, I would pass!

2. ratfink56

ratfink56

He claims to. From his email-
    Because I can use it on another car , that's why if it goes out of state I will sell it with the Arizona title.

3. Nope, nope and nope.

I know a guy who shipped over a bunch of 60’s era rolls royces and Daimler limos when I was working at jag from England.

well after my customer had his cars shipped over he saw an add on eBay selling the ownerships to the cars he bought !!!!!!

it was a mad scrambled to get his cats registered with new vin numbers issued by the Provence on tags I needed to rivet to the fire wall and door jamb.

the licensing office told him if one of this ownerships made it here and where put in the system he would have lost his car .
    Scary situation.

Budget36 and gimpyshotrods like this.
  4. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

in arizona if a car is not registered and has no title certificate THEN a bill of sale is expected. then the hassle begins to title and register that car with the buyer as the new owner. i’ve done it… usually have to have to pay for a ‘bonded title’.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  5. ratfink56

ratfink56

6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Using the identity (VIN/serial/title) from one vehicle on another vehicle is a Federal felony.

Budget36 and TrailerTrashToo like this.
  7. He will give you an out of state 1932 Ford title for the 1930 Ford he is selling? WTF.

chopped and VANDENPLAS like this.
  8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

California is a title state. Every single vehicle, irrespective of age gets a title, no exceptions.

If he had the proper California title and lost it, he can file paperwork to get a replacement.

If he doesn't have a California title, he can take the documents that support how he lawfully obtained the vehicle, start the titling process with the DMV, and have the frame number verified by CHP.

Once it has cleared, he will be issued a title.

Then, and only then, is this care in a saleable position.

chopped and VANDENPLAS like this.
  9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am not sure why some folks have the fantasy that a vehicle and a title can be separated and maintain their individual meaning and value.

If you separate a title and a vehicle you have two things:

A useless decorative piece of paper.

-and-

A (possibly) rolling sculpture.

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All 50-states in the US have access to the database that shows were stampings are, and what they look like. It even has pictures.

1932 Fords already are flagged for extra scrutiny, due to the extant level of title fraud.

11. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

most likely scenario is that the title he does have for the car is not legal either.

gimpyshotrods and VANDENPLAS like this.
  12. chopped

chopped

When you're the only one in the room saying go for it, don't.