Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Vent Window Seals Early '60s Fords

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Joe Travers, Sep 22, 2021.

1. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

Fixing to order new vent window seals for my '63 Comet and was wondering about replacing the seal on the vertical window run behind the back edge of the glass. It is held into place with 5 very small rivets. What is the easiest way to replace these? I'm assuming the factory rivets have to be drilled out with a very small bit and new rivets installed with a gun. What tools would be best to use to make this easy and correct without butchering the glass run? They are hard to find if I mess it up. Last riveting work I did was many years ago installing a hood scoop on a race car but this is more detailed work. Thanks a bunches!

Joe

2. egads

egads

3. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

IMG_0479.JPG Thanks brother, but not really what I'm looking for. The rivets come with the seals and have very small heads. I have to drop the door window glass and remove the vertical run to replace a vent window frame and was going to catch all of this while I had it out. Here's a pic of the run in the car. Not pulling anything until I get everything together to do the complete job, as the car is not parked in an enclosed garage. Is there a pop rivet gun made specifically for tiny jobs like this? I definitely don't want to mess things up using the wrong tool or method.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
  4. egads

egads

The rivet has to be flat on both sides, The POP rivet will have a tail that will protrude on 1 side. This tool would do a nice job--https://www.chiefaircraft.com/ra-brt.html RA_BRT.jpg

Joe Travers likes this.

5. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Joe Travers and egads like this.
  6. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

Yes, the door window runs on the opposite side of the vent, so no protrusion on either side.
    Thank you for the link! I was presuming there was a special tool for this job. Don't want to use the wrong one and mess up my run.
    Appreciate the input, guys :)

Joe

7. Rusty J

Rusty J

You'll need semi tubular rivets and the setting punch to do this job. You'll need an anvil shaped to allow you to set the rivet on the flat side. You can carefully drill the rolled edge of the rivet and you'll be able to use a nail punch to remove it and take measurements. You can order them online along with the punch tool. This is the route I went with for my car's window division channel to replicate the original setup.