Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Is this a Brookville roadster pickup? Update: NO. Now building 1929 roadbriolet/cabrioster pickup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hamtown Al, Sep 7, 2021.

1. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

^^You are right about the shock travel... one of many things to be checked and potentially corrected.;) The front bolt at the top of the 9" Ford rearend is less than one inch from one of the bottom braces holding the floor of the relocated bed!:eek: I saw it but didn't take a picture... yet!:D
    I did manage to grind the smallest amount off the tubular frame near the master cylinder so I could hook up the remaining brake line... the line nut would seat but you couldn't turn it!:eek: Tweaked it enough to slowly turn the brake line nut without hitting the frame crossmember.;)
    Now to proceed with checking brake line connections, etc. and begin trying to bleed the brakes.

2. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

I found out that when you start pumping brake fluid into the lines they can leak!!:eek::D:D
    I think I've gotten most of them tightened but I'm resting to go back to get the final one on the master cylinder tight. Remember the one I did some grinding to clear? Had to take master cylinder loose so could get proper fitting wrench on it.;) Gonna recheck before reattaching master cylinder to bracket.

3. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

IMG_6776.JPG
    Doesn't look too bad from front but from side it is clear will hit!:eek:
    IMG_6777.JPG
    I played with one of the rear shocks some more. The bolt was threaded very long so I used the old square "spacer" on the backside to save some ratcheting!:eek::D It is just mockup, boys, don't get excited yet.:D
    IMG_6778.JPG
    Lastly, I decided to try to put some rearend grease in it. I was ready to start when I realized the 3 quarts that came with the pkp was for a limited slip rearend! I've had considerable discussions with previous owner and he said non-posi rear but didn't even know what ratio!:rolleyes::D I jacked it up and spun one wheel and the other rotated the other way so guess not posi... as he said.;):) I'm concerned that it might be some kind of posi that doesn't engage until one wheel slips? Anybody want to share some 9" Ford rearend wisdom and experience?
    I've started putting regular rearend grease in it but encountered another "opportunity" in that there was no way to just pour grease into the rearend.:eek: I added a hose and fished up a bottle... propped up by a big screwdriver I'm sure y'all would have noticed.:D:D That first quart is slowly draining into the rearend. Note that on an earlier attempt I painted my shirt, glasses, and one shoe with rearend grease!:D:D That is a bottle of grease in upper right but the picture is straight on so not as obvious.;)
    IMG_6779.JPG
    Ah, the fun of building hot rods!!

4. Al, I have been through that same routine with rear end grease more times than I would care to admit to! So finally the other day I decided to do otherwise. I was changing the lube in a recently acquired OT F-150 and was at a local chain parts store buying lube and saw they had cheap pumps that screw onto quart or gallon lube bottles. In this case it worked like a champ! You might want to consider something like that.

5. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

They also make these things too Al.
    They can be a little slow but they work.
    CFC22BCC-DD63-40E7-934C-00367CA8E4A4.jpeg

6. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

^^I've heard of those!!:D:D I think I even have one!!:eek::D I'll go looking!:)
    Thanks... I need all the help I can get.;):D

7. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Wow would you look at this
    Performance Tool W1139 Quart/Gallon Fluid Pump

243139D3-A61C-40B4-8803-0B1B64AC16C4.jpeg

8. Yep, that's it!!^^^^^

9. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

I went looking and found one new transfer pump and another used transfer pump and then found my trusty syphon pump. The transfer pumps would be too neat so I opted to use the syphon pump.:D I got rearend grease on about everything and ran out before it was running out the fill hole.:( Went to parts store for more rearend grease and also a fitting for the new mechanical fuel pump. I installed the new mechanical fuel pump and now am reworking the fuel line to use the new pump... opportunities!:D
    On another note, I did manage to install the driveshaft.:)
    IMG_6780.JPG
    I ran out of leaks(I think!:D) on the brake lines so might start bleeding them soon.:eek::D
    Ain't this fun?!:D

10. Always a great feeling when you run out of leaks!:D

hotrodjack33, loudbang and Hamtown Al like this.
  11. I can't help but think the shock could mount to the front side of the upper bracket. Even if the lower aluminium spacer needs a little shortening, which wouldn't be a bad thing anyway.

12. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

IMG_6781.JPG
    Since the rpu isn't quite ready for prime time:eek::D, I drove the 36 cabriolet to get my hair cut.;) Note that the LARS sticker from 2016 is still on the headlight.;):) The windshield banner is still there, too. It makes me smile every time I think about driving to LARS in 2016.:)
    I got the gas line rerouted to the new fuel pump.
    IMG_6782.JPG
    And here's a picture of the new tach and its location... and the wiring spaghetti behind it!!:D
    IMG_6783.JPG
    The fellow who helped Jim some while building the car is gonna call tonight to help me better understand about the current state of the engine... if he can. I also want to make a list of anything he thinks I need to check and/or review.;) You can't get too much help with research on an in-process build.;):)

13. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

I'm sorry to report that my first attempt to start the engine did not succeed!:mad:
    Issues started right out of the gate when turned it over some to get oil pressure. Noticed dang Dolphin gauge had the needle what looked like too low and possibly hanging within the gauge.:confused: Rigged, I say riggged!, up a manual oil pressure switch and got nowhere... fittings, hoses, gauges nothing seemed to get any reading so went back to original hookup with original electric sending unit... and checked the wiring under the dash and seemed correct.
    Decided to run hose to gas can and pour little gas in carb and try it. The good news is no backfire or other excitement but didn't attempt to run.:( It is getting fire to the one plug I tested.;):D I suspect the timing is off and hope that the original guy realized number one is on the passenger side! Don't ask me why I am so sure of that.:D:D
    Anyway, I'll have to get into the weeds on the distributor and timing and wiring of the plugs.
    Opportunities!
    BTW, I did manage to finish filling the rearend.:) Haven't tried bleeding the brakes yet.:rolleyes::D
    It did look like the new fuel pump was pumping gas from the can as I only primed the carb once and later looked into the carb to see more gas flowing into the carb.;) At least, I hope it is working but a carb dripping concerns me.:eek:
    I'll get back to it later after I think about it for awhile.:)
    I was all set to hear the engine roar with those pipes in my garage... bummer.:(
    Tomorrow is another day.;):D
    BTW, I didn't get my call from Jim's helper... he probably forgot it or got tied up having fun I hope. I'll touch base with him later... no big deal.

14. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Jim's buddy, Gary, called last night and I appreciated:) the call which gave me considerable background on the pickup and how it got to the state it was in when it was passed to me. They shared a big shop for about 7 years before they were summarily booted out:eek: three years ago by the wife of a deceased buddy who had told his wife to let them stay as long as they wanted before he passed... she decided to sell everything and move to Key West!:eek:
    Anyway, Gary filled me in somewhat on the history of the car. He said Jim initially got the pickup in a considerable number of boxes and big pile of parts!:eek: Jim gradually put it together and managed to get the suspension under the pickup and wheels on it just before they got booted out. Jim spent the last three years gradually getting it together but was considerably impaired by health issues that really threatened his life at least once.:( Jim continues to recover but finally decided to pass the pickup on to me as getting up and down was getting too difficult for now. Hopefully, he will continue to improve and get back to the mobility he usually enjoyed.;):)
    Now to the pickup.
    Good news and bad news... as usual!:D
    Gary and I discussed the engine and he agreed with my plan to check the firing order and timing since it was getting fire and gas to the engine.
    IMG_6785.JPG
    Turns out number four and number 6 plugs were reversed in the firing order.:eek: I fixed them and rearranged the neat hardware Jim already had on the engine.:) I don't know why he used those Ford Racing wiring brackets but Gary probably explained it when he said Jim was all about function and not so much form.:eek::D
    Not seeing a timing plate on the front of the engine; I began working to correct the timing, or at least get it close;):D, by slowly moving the distributor from full stop one way then going back.;) Not particularly scientific but it did manage to get it to fire up for a very few seconds... signaling that I was in the ball park!;):)
    What little I heard sounded very good!:)
    Then I tweaked it a little more and was getting close to running after a couple near starts when the starter seemed to fail!:eek:
    IMG_6784.JPG
    Well, it was a new one for me!:eek::D The battery cable broke!:eek: I notice the cable was getting pretty warm so it probably broke in protest of my continued cranking of the engine!:eek::D:D
    Dang! I was really getting close... I think!:D:D
    I'm letting it cool, along with me!:D, and I'll rig up a plan B to reconnect the battery.;):D
    Opportunites!
    But I feel that we're close... just wish that I had seen that oil pressure gauge move.:(
    Might have to rig some kind of manual oil pressure gauge just to ease my mind.;)
    Anybody heard from Bert on his Last Refuge pickup? His is much prettier than mine.:D
    BTW, I think I might follow up on Gary's suggestion to remove the front bed panel and slide the bed forward and then tweak the leading edge to follow the curvature of the cab.;) That might be just enough to center the rear wheel in the arch on the bed for a fender which I probably won't add. However, I agree with Gary that shaping the leading edge of the bed to match the contour of the back of the cab would make the truck seem more like it came that way and not just bolted together... another opportunity!:D

15. Al, I have to agree with something you said earlier. A pair of quads on that nailhead would make for some nice eye candy!

16. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Not long!:eek: But it runs!!;):):)
    And has oil pressure!:)
    It took awhile digging through my treasures of fittings, etc. but found and managed to cobble together a manual oil pressure gauge. Using what ya got is traditional, ain't it?!:D:D
    IMG_6786.JPG
    The engine had already quit and it took a while for my fumbling:eek: efforts to get y'all a picture; but you can see it still had some oil pressure even though I was watching it fall while scrambling for the phone for a picture. I'm just glad that it showed oil pressure.. I'm guessing somewhere between 20 and 40 pounds in the brief time it ran.
    I'm getting close to keeping it running but want to let starter cool and battery recharge before another attempt.;)
    Maybe later today.;):)

PS Two fours would look good! Like on my 32!
    IMG_5061.JPG

17. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Gee Al, I don't feel so bad now;). Back when we did the Sedan Deliv/ Cabriolet trade, I felt kinda bad about the few "opportunities" (horn, rear shocks, gas tank etc) you addressed on the S.D.
    But YIKES...that neat little Roadster Pickup seems like it might be the "grand daddy of all opportunities" ;). I don't feel quite so bad about the S.D. now.
    I gotta say, I really admire how you always keep such a positive attitude despite ALL these opportunities...I'd be throwing tools around the garage by now:eek::D

18. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

^^Jack, you forgot the steering wheel, odd gauges, the really out of alignment front axle and steering, the battery box that had the added feature on holding water to keep the battery cool;), tricky column shift, the green paint:D, and... :D:D:D
    Just kidding you, pal! I was happy with the SD trade:) and I'm happy with this buy.:)

19. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:(
    Aw crap Al, now I feel bad again.;)...well, bad about everything EXCEPT all that lovely green paint:D

20. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Late yesterday it ran just a little bit longer but still won't start and keep running.:(
    I'm working on it but not quite there. It is running long enough now that my wife can hear it from inside of the house!:D

21. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

I keep tweaking the timing and it seems to want to run but doesn't.:(
    I did get it to run a few more moments this morning so I feel like I'm gaining ground but I keep thinking I'm missing something but don't know what it is.:confused: Oil pressure is good.:)
    Opportunities!:D:D
    Maybe later today. Issues with the engine give me more time to study making other changes to the pickup to make the bed blend better with the cab as well as contemplate where to put the battery... I don't think that casters with a bungee cord idea will work.:eek::D

22. Is the big Buick running out of fuel from the syphon tank?

23. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Not out of fuel but ole safety conscious Al DID pull the hose up out of the gas last night and forgot to shove it back down this morning!:D:D Luckily, I figured that one out pretty quickly once I realized no gas was going into the carb!:D

The 39 guy and lothiandon1940 like this.
  24. loudbang

loudbang

Try starting with a partner. Then fire it up and drip fuel directly into the carb and see if it keeps running that way. That would indicate problems with fuel delivery.

25. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

It runs!! A few moments ago was the first time that I actually cut the engine off... usually it decided on its on!!:D:D
    Happy Day!!:)
    Time for ice cream!!:D:D
    It will be much easier now to continue to work on the pickup.;)
    Still haven't gotten it to idle down much but making progress.
    Dang phone:eek: wouldn't send my picture of the fuel pressure gauge at 4 pounds or so after I cut it off.
    Maybe later it will work.
    Still trying to figure out the magic combination to get it to start and keep running but I wish y'all could have heard it. I made a brief video but dang phone wouldn't send that either!:eek:

PS Thanks, loudbang, for the suggestion. Every time I worked the throttle I could see gas coming out of the jets so figured that wasn't the issue. It was the timing apparently and it still isn't right but I am enjoying the moment as it is!

26. Got your video text of the big event! Well done, Sir!

loudbang and Hamtown Al like this.
  27. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Timing is getting closer and engine is running smoother.:) I got to actually cut it off a couple times!:) (Versus it just quitting!):eek::D:D
    I guess I better start rerouting that gas line... unless we decide on some casters for the plastic gas can, too!:D:D
    Maybe start cleaning up the wiring. Bleeding the brakes might make sense now that it is running.;):D
    Opportunities!:D
    Need to make time to get downtown for some celebratory ice cream, too!;):D

28. YUMM, Celebratory Ice Cream!:D

Hamtown Al and loudbang like this.
  29. Budget36

Budget36

Remember Al, casters, not castor oil Although it may make it run smooth.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
    hotrodjack33, Hamtown Al and loudbang like this.
  30. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Well, I got the rpm on the tach way down... I switched the tach from 4 to 8 cylinders!!:eek::D:D
    I keep tweaking the timing and it is idling down a bit more each time... but boy I like cracking that throttle!!:D
    Big Buick loves to talk!:) Those pipes inside a garage, even with big door and windows open; sing a the chorus we all love.;):)
    Now to get Ringer:eek: to help with bleeding the brakes!:D:D
    I think I'm gonna work on the wiring first. I guess I'll reinstall that Dolphin oil sending unit to see whether it still works or not. I hate backtracking but can't use my temp manual oil gauge anyway... it served its purpose in keeping my blood pressure down.;):):) Showing no oil pressure:eek: while cranking was making me nervous!:D:D
    Back to the garage.
    I'm so pleased with the sound of the engine that I'm starting to ponder where to put the battery. It already has a nice, new Tanks gas tank to replace the plastic can sitting on garage floor.;) Just need to extend the plumbing a bit further toward the front.;)
    Working Al