Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Want to buy a new bodyworking tool

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ekimneirbo, Aug 17, 2021.

1. indyjps

indyjps

Stripping a car sucks, but I'd have to look closer at the cost of consumables, if I'm using multiple $20 pads per panel, wheres the cutoff to just pay a blaster when you compare your time plus consumables. This tool works in flats and you still have to consider inside corners.

Who's using one and what's the life of a pad? Can you strip an entire door or hood with one drum/pad?

DA use, I see a lot of people using them poorly, leaning on the edge which just wastes the pad. It also wears thru the pad about an inch in, making it difficult to remove.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2021
    ekimneirbo likes this.
  2. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

That be me..........:D

X-cpe, Budget36 and ffr1222k like this.
  3. pvfjr

pvfjr
    1. Hydro Tech

So you're against ALL power tools, then?

X-cpe, golferforpar and Blue One like this.
  4. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Those style pads in my angle grinder are all I use to strip paint. Extremely fast, cheap, and two discs is all I ever need to strip an entire car to bare metal in 4-5 hours.
    [​IMG]

harpo1313 likes this.
  5. chiro

chiro

I have the Eastwood SCT. Love this thing. Screw the cost of consumables. The job it does is worth it. Fast, easy, pretty when done with a finish that primer STICKS to like glue. You will be very happy after using one for about two minutes
    andy.

fauj and ekimneirbo like this.
  6. lostmind

lostmind

Wire wheel cup on an angle grinder is what I use. Can't imagine anything being easier or faster or cheaper.

7. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

OK, I finally received the wheel I ordered from Amazon so I could see if it fits my Eastwood Surface Conditioning Tool. Eastwood wants $50 normally for this type of wheel while the one from Amazon was $23.48 free shipping. It did however take a month to get it. It is slightly larger in diameter than the wheel that came on my Eastwood. You can look at the difference in the pictures. Did have to wiggle the keyways a little to get it on, but it fits just fine and less than half the cost. Don't have anything I want to use it on right now or have an Eastwood wheel to compare longivity to, but the answer is that it does fit just fine.

DSCN4446.JPG
    DSCN4449.JPG

57JoeFoMoPar, fauj and loudbang like this.
  8. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

You're absolutely right. People who use technology to accomplish tasks quicker, easier and, better than older methods are total losers and a bunch of lazy sacks of garbage. I want my mail delivered by carrier pigeon or covered wagon because email is for lazy losers. Google can piss off, give me some encyclopedia Britannica in heavy-bound hard-cover volumes so I can store all this knowledge in a mahogany bookshelf in my home library.....

s55mercury66, Roothawg, X-cpe and 3 others like this.
  9. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

So pretty much those who have one and have used it like it while those who don't have one don't like it.

s55mercury66, stanlow69, fauj and 2 others like this.
  10. patsurf

patsurf

YOU get to be a moderator!...

stanlow69, arkiehotrods and MMM1693 like this.
  11. While I commemted…I’v never used this tool…but I used a buffer with the same idea..a drum buffing pad…was supposed to leave a swirl free finish….total PITA to use compared to a normal buffer…

12. Buy the dam thing and post some new pictures it's all about pictures here !

fauj and arkiehotrods like this.
  13. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Just as an FYI, Harbor Freight caught on to this one and offers a Bauer branded version of it. At $150, it's $70 less than the Eastwood, and the drums are available at the store, and interchange across makes. Drums are comparable price to offerings on Amazon, though as mentioned, the Amazon drums are 4.5" whereas the others are 4". I pulled the trigger on one a while back and I really like it so far.

https://www.harborfreight.com/9-amp...9.html?_br_psugg_q=surface+conditioning+tools

14. Just visited a shop that uses those.
    They really dig em

Chavezk21 likes this.
  15. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I have the Jeg's version. The Amazon pads work just as we'll as the one that came on it. Well, the one that I put on it to replace the original, and that original one did all of the upper surfaces of a full-size mid '60's FoMoCo automobile, and the fenders and doors. Instead of wearing out my sanders, air compressor and my hands changing out worn out discs, I think I'll be lazy and cheap, pay the light bill and use the darn thing for a while longer. My sandpaper suppliers are mourning their loss as we speak.

ekimneirbo likes this.