Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical SBF 302 Oil pressure help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56MercMan, Sep 22, 2021.

1. 56MercMan

56MercMan

I have a 302 in my Mercury. Oil pressure was at 40ish psi. It dropped to 0. I pulled the line to the manual gauge and hooked up another gauge. Still 0.

I pulled the distributor and put my drill on the oil pump rod and spun it in reverse very slowly. No movement of the gauge. I decided forget it and put the drill on full blast in reverse... After a second you hear a squirting noise and the gauge jumps up to 50ish. I slow the drill down and the gauge moves higher and lower with the speed of the drill. I hook up my manual gauge in the car and it works again. I go for a drive (About 12 miles) and the pressure remains 20-30 after warming up. Then all of a sudden it drops to 0 again. I shut it down and tow it home.

Anyone have any ideas on what I need to check? I assume the screen in the pan is good because when the oil pressure is there it is high and all good. I am assuming the pump is working because the oil pressure is very good when working. Any ideas on blockage or anything I can check to find the issue?

ford 302 is not something I am experienced with. Motorcycles and foreign motors I have worked on/rebuilt in the past.

2. RmK57

RmK57

Could be something in the oil pump itself internally.. Relief valve stuck or sticking open?

3. greybeard360

greybeard360

Sounds like the pickup tube is loose and sucking air as the oil is sent thru the motor or the tube has fallen off of the pump.

You might overfill the motor by a quart or two and see if it still does it. If that seems to cure it, pull the pan and fix it.

osage orange and VANDENPLAS like this.
  4. Old engine ?
    New rebuild ?
    Engine carboned / gummed up ?

oil pump relief valve stuck, jammed, falling out ?
    A chunk of something floating around and plugging up your oil pressure line?
    Something in your pan plugging the pick up ?
    Pick up fell off / falling off ?
    Pick up dirty ?

how hard would it be to pull off your oil pan ?

could be catastrophic failure, you will need to take some stuff apart, starting with the oil pan.

5. Try replacing the filter first....

6. :rolleyes::oops::rolleyes::oops::rolleyes:

K- keep
    I-it
    S-simple
    S- stupid .

For the whopping 8 bucks that it is yes, a cheap or buggered filter could cause issues .

7. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Did you check the oil?

Deuces and 03GMCSonoma like this.
  8. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Has a 351W do the same thing. Turned out the screen was nearly clogged. Debris from oil seals and poor oil changes. Cleaned the pan, screen, and pump and it was fine.

9. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

If the motor has never been apart, the original timing gears were plastic coated and the plastic comes off and clogs the oil pickup screen.

Deuces likes this.
  10. Is the oil pump rod still got sharp corners on both ends? I have seen them get rounded off before.

finn and VANDENPLAS like this.
  11. 56MercMan

56MercMan

Thanks for replys so far.

Motor is fairly new/cleaned up. It has been apart before.
    @irishsteve - The rod does have sharp edges and no rounding. Same with the bottom of the rotor
    @oldiron 440 - It does have fresh oil. Only a couple 100 miles on this oil change. I checked the oil after losing pressure and she is topped off.
    @Crazy Steve and @VANDENPLAS - I have a new filter in the garage. I will swap that and see if that changes anything first. The oil pressure issue has been during the same filter.

The motor looks really clean inside. No gumming in the heads or anywhere that I have seen when taking it apart. The pushrods and lifters all look extremely clean.

I will try the filter first and see if that changes anything (Simple 5 minute try). If not I will see how hard it is to drop the pan and see what I can find. Not sure if there is a crossmember in the way or any of that right now while at work. Thanks for the advice so far everyone.

Deuces, Boneyard51 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  12. Check the pump sounds like the bypass is sticking open. Sometimes they get crap in 'em and that can cause the bypass to stick open.

Now sage advice, when you change the pump by a Melling. They make a damned good pump.

seb fontana, fauj, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  13. Definitely all above are good answers with the oil filter being the cheapest and less invasive. I had a 302 in an OT Merc years ago with similar circumstances and it also was a plugging oil pick up screen. The remedy was pull the engine and clean the pan pick up tube and screen and for good measure replaced the original factory oil pump with a Melling.

fauj and Deuces like this.
  14. I pulled the pan on an OT mud truck while I was in Mexico. It had intermittent oil pressure. It also had a label from some car part (I think from the control mod) floating around in the pan. It was an older truck (miles older) so I replaced the pump while I was in there. But I am sure that the paper was the culprit and I have no idea how it got in there.

15. 56MercMan

56MercMan

Well you hit the nail on the head with that post

Deuces likes this.
  16. 56MercMan

56MercMan

Finally got the pan off and look what I found:

I know what they are... any guesses before I show you?

Pic of the pickup:
    20220427_174815.jpg

Pic of yhe bottom of the oil pan:
    20220427_175142.jpg

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  17. What the hell….how…

fauj and VANDENPLAS like this.
  18. 2Blue2

2Blue2

Rock Auto business cards?

sunbeam, fauj, Deuces and 1 other person like this.
  19. Dedsoto

Dedsoto
    from Australia
    1. Aussie HAMBers

someone's idea of sticking a magnet in the pan, and only having an excess of fridge magnets?

SS327, fauj and Budget36 like this.
  20. Clydesdale

Clydesdale

wow!!! thats next level!!!!

good find :D

Deuces likes this.
  21. Deuces

Deuces

Gee... I wonder who built that motor????.....

fauj likes this.
  22. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

Excellent thread. Many great ideas presented here.

23. Budget36

Budget36

So what are the actual pieces? Are they magnets like Dedsoto mentioned, or ??

seb fontana, fauj and Algoma56 like this.
  24. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

Yep those are RockAuto magnets that they give you when you order parts for your fridge

SS327 and osage orange like this.
  25. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Unbelievable. Everyone knows they go on the outside …

26. Charlietruck62

Charlietruck62

27. 56MercMan

56MercMan

Yup. You guys got it. They are rock auto collector magnets that used to look like this:

[​IMG]

The motor was purchased off a guy on craigslist. Started ran and worked well. Looks like my moms friend never really inspected it before putting it in my car. The magnets broke down after a little driving. The hot cold and soaking in oil broke them down.

If I would have done it I would have dropped the pan and did a little inspecting. Not complaining, still really happy that he and my mom surprised me with getting my car running and on the road.

28. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Rock Auto sells fridge parts?

29. finn

finn

Yup. I got the wiper blades for my Fridge from Rock Auto.

Didn’t put the magnets in the pan, though.

SS327, Beanscoot, Dedsoto and 3 others like this.