Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Induction Bolt Heater Comparisons and Pick

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MrCreosote, Sep 22, 2021.

1. MrCreosote

MrCreosote
    from USA

I'm looking for someone who is familiar with what is out there and can share their experience.

I'm going to buy one in the next 24 hours and final candidates are
    • Bolt Buster 1800w BB2X-ACC for $400 w/lots of coils
    • WOYO 900w for $230 which blew away the 1000w Mini Ductor Venom
    • Chinese knockoff of Mini Ductor II w/deluxe kit for $200
    • Chinese knockoff of Mini Ductor II w/just a few coils for $180
    I've got 3 contending selection criteria:
    1. MOST heat: 1800w Bolt Buster
    2. BEST BANG FOR BUCK: WOYO beats high end Mini Ductor Venom on Youtube
    3. CHEAPEST: Mini Ductor II knockoffs (one with case and kit is appealing)
    I have a friend that has a garage and works on up to big trucks, has the 1800w BB2X and has never found it wanting for heat. This does appeal to me since my rusted bolt expertise is the oxy-acetylene torch which is way big heat.

But I don't know if I really need that heat, so the other cheaper alternatives are also viable. The fact that the WOYO beat out the revered Mini Ductor Venom is significant. The 1800w Venom HP would be a candidate but that is $600 w/no coil kit. TOO EXPENSIVE.

HOWEVER the BB2X is very large in diameter and could have issues with hard to reach areas.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. leon bee

leon bee

I don't know much at all about those bolt heaters. But do know about desperation, buy that hottest one. After you forget how much it cost you'll be all set.

3. j hansen

j hansen

I bought this one a year ago,it works well. Skärmavbild 2021-09-23 kl. 09.44.15.png

4. Joe H

Joe H

We use the Mini inDuctor at work all the time. You have to watch how long you hold the trigger, only a 1 minute at a time with a little cool down between or it will shut off on you. With our fleet of Natural Gas powered buses, we can't have open flame around them, the inductor really helps. Make sure what you buy has extra wire coils for different size bolts and nuts. Bigger will be better in this case.

5. MrCreosote

MrCreosote
    from USA

I occurred to me after I posted this: I'm retired and attended a number of trade shows with a vendor (3 PRI, 1 SEMA, and 1 Superflow Adv Eng Tech Conf). So I'll joke with whoever I'm talking with and as if they have a "Senior Discount" and hook me up with the show price. And get this, if I can talk to them today, I can tell them it's my birthday and offer to send a pic of my driver's license LOL.

Seriously, I think I have a 50/50 chance they will hook me up. Will definitely report back.

6. 5window

5window

Happy Birthday

7. MrCreosote

MrCreosote
    from USA

Thanks, one way or another, I'm getting a "birthday present" today.
    Called the guy's direct number, got Audix - I'll EDIT this post as I make progress if still the last post.

8. Budget36

Budget36

You’ll have to make another post;)

Happy Birthday!

9. MrCreosote

MrCreosote
    from USA

They gave me the show deal which was $369 + 15 shipping. A little cheaper than Amazon but I like the idea of buying from the manufacturer - there may be minor improvements over the years and direct should get the newest version. The warranty is 1 year and for $125, they will flat rate repair the unit for 3 years after purchase.

Also learned the suggested duty cycle is 2min on, 2 min off BUT you can do 10 min on if you need to (!) Even 12 min. It has thermal protection but it should not be relied on - you can "melt" the unit as the guy said. But even 2 min on is killer and 10 min is totally insane. So YES, BUY

I asked him if the offer was good for a few days and he said yes - I'm running down a potential used sale of one that probably was never used.

So it IS going to happen.