Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Removable Steering Wheel

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ripperfarms, Sep 18, 2021.

1. Ripperfarms

Ripperfarms

I have a 1929 Model A traditional Hot Rod with a Ford Pickup steering gear (Gemmer 3cc03).

It's out of about a 1954 pickup with a stock wheel.

I would like to make the wheel "removeable" (quick detach) but I looked at the kits and most of them want you to weld them on and I don't want to do that. I would like a bolt on solution then I can mount a wheel, Grant or otherwise, on the quick detach.

Any Ideas would be appreciated ............Dave in Illinois.

Stogy likes this.
  2. 31 Coupe

31 Coupe

F1 and F100's have the same tapered spline steering shafts as later model Ford sedans etc.
    Grant type hubs are available for them but they are not quick release. Try a speedway/oval track race part supplier, they may have something that's appropriate for your needs.

3. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

I have used the speedway quick connect kits on three Model A's. One was welded and the others were bolted on the shaft. Check Speedways, racing parts catalog. Last one I did earlier this year was the one using a pin.
    A90020B5-F716-413E-BCEF-58AFCE98C03E.jpeg

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  4. Gofannon

Gofannon

5. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

i used the speedway hex hub as it would be faster to install the wheel than the spline when a bunch of us were getting gas, and blasting on down the road...
    but it wore faster and got a little sloppy after a few years...
    so i put the spline style on my coupe, slower to install [align] every time but seems a tighter fit...
    i call it FAT MAN'S DELEMA... DSCN7752.JPG DSCN7757.JPG

GordonC likes this.
  6. Ripperfarms

Ripperfarms

Gofannon likes this.
  7. oldsman41

oldsman41

Racing wheels are ok but I’m not a fan of them you have a lot of play on that little pin that holds the wheel on.speedways also comes with a bolt after about a week I bolted mine in didn’t like the pin loose ness.

8. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

Well don’t know if this helps or not but I used a roll pin/spring pin that I drilled through the undercut in the splined adapter and shaft. The roll pin/spring pin would have been sufficient but also added weld to adapter and shaft. For steering I wanted something robust and didn’t want to trust just roll pin or just weld. Should be noted that when steering wheel is on it encapsulates the roll pin so it cannot come out. Also drilled hole though adapter and shaft with pilot hole first so when did final drilled hole for roll pin it would be proper tight fit. The quick release I used has a ring you slide back to take off steering wheel rather then pin and there is very little play between between adapter and steering wheel. 7CEAD4BA-4179-44E7-AD0A-C60163D3C9E9.jpeg 203BE607-C6D2-49D6-9996-CCFA78CB54A5.jpeg

9. I, like Pirate, have always used the spring loaded spline disconnect. Solid mount with no play.

10. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Replaced my spring loaded spline disconnect with a new one from Speedway as it got sloppy after 20 years

11. cfmvw

cfmvw

You have a nice setup, looks like the PTO on my tractor. The female spline (on the accessory driveshaft) has a spring loaded pin to depress when removing or installing the driveshaft, such as when I swap the backhoe for the snowblower.

12. Ripperfarms

Ripperfarms

The removable steering wheel looked very good to me but I cannot see how the hub is attached to the steering column......keep in mind mine is a "splined" column and I want something that just slips on it and bolts on......is that what this is in some way?

Thanks.........dave in Illinois

13. Ripperfarms

Ripperfarms

I love the looks of that but is the steering column itself also "splined" as mine is.

Thanks..........Dave in Illinois

14. Ripperfarms

Ripperfarms

I having a hard time finding Speedway's Racing Parts Catalogue..........

15. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Google Speedway Motors Catalog. 1st response shows catalogs.. Oval Track listed 2nd.

16. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

No my steering shaft was not splined it was just round heavy wall tubing. The adapter slipped over tubing and I drilled for roll pin/spring pin and then TIG welded adapter to tubing. You might try going to the Grant Steering Wheel website. I think they do have some quick release adapters with internal splines that bolt on with a nut. You would have to know the dimensions of you spline.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021