Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Putting a 302 in a 1939 Ford 1/2 ton

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dan Richey, Sep 20, 2021.

1. Dan Richey

Dan Richey

Looking for help and guidance on putting a Ford 302 in a 1939 Ford 1/2 ton. I've seen it done, but now that I'm ready to do it, I need more details...

2. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I know the oil pan can be an issue. Pickup, Bronko and car pans give a good variety of sump locations. Water pump length can be a problem also, Edelbrock has a length list online just look under there pumps.

3. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's weird, I could have sworn I already responded to this...oh crap! Newbie!

warhorseracing likes this.
  4. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I had that happen last weekend but I think I didn't hit the blue button....

warhorseracing and Bandit Billy like this.

5. The version of the 302 (year made) and transmission used will make a lot of difference on how you approach the swap. The motor had some changes over years it was made.
    Probably the best and easiest version for your swap would be the 1968-82 motor with a C4 automatic.
    There are a couple of things to consider with this swap- this motor has the "lead" cylinder on the passenger side, necessitating having it shifted forward more for the driver's side cylinder head to clear accelerator linkage. Using a rear sump oil pan will need to have the dipstick in the pan.
    Motor and transmission mount fabrication is straight forward, and there are a couple of motor mount designs (horizontal bolt or vertical stud) to choose from.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
    lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Welcome to the HAMB Dan. Good luck with the truck. Post some pics for us.

Just Gary likes this.
  7. The normal rear sump pan is for a fox body mustang. The shortest front drive is from a 96-2000 explorer. There is a snow white water pump conversion also. You will need to decide on standard or reverse rotation water pump. There are different outlet locations for both as well as a couple of different lengths. I'm guessing you are using a straight front axle. Headers get interesting. I have used block huggers on a couple of builds. If the oil filter is a problem, there are 2 shorter filters available before considering a right angle or remote mount. If you are using an 83 or newer engine, they will be 50oz. balance.

8. 6sally6

6sally6

I would do-myself-a-favor and go with an 85 or later 5.0(302-5.0 sameo-sameo) for the simple reason they use a roller cam. More expensive but a roller doesn't have the flattened lobes issue. Like above...most are 50 oz balancer. (IF you have the rotating assembly balanced it can be a non-issue)
    6sally6

9. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

To add to what 6Sally6 said, the best 302 made was put in the late Exploders. Roller camshaft, GT40 cast iron heads.

You can just remove all the newer FI junk and put on a carb and intake and early distributor (with steel gear), and front cover & dress.

10. I recently upgraded my 40 Ford pickup from a sbc to a Ford 302. It's a roller engine out of a 95 tbird and uses the old firing order.
    Made my own engine mounts that bolt on to the front of heads. Used the fan blade off of the sbc.
    50oz flywheel, used a Professional Products 50oz balancer that is drilled for both 3 bolt and 4 bolt crankshaft pulleys.
    I didn't want to change the Walker radiator so I used a 1969 water pump so it would be on the right hand side to fit the sbc radiator. Used spectre 2 groove pulleys for the crankshaft and water pump. Run a electric fuel pump. Used a 6 qt rear sump 90's ford van oil pan. Found a set of rear exit headers and swapped them from left to right and have no starter clearance problems and the left side is no where close to the steering box. The sbc header set right on top of the steering box. I did a write up on the installation in the #48 issue of Rodding USA. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Keith Daleen

GTHOtrod, RodStRace, hotrodA and 14 others like this.
  11. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

I have one of those, a '97, sweet setup. VERY compact to make it fit in there, front drive setup short, headers, and runs excellent. Nice driveline too. I keep waiting for it to go south somehow so I can mine the driveline but it's a great daily, excellent AC, leather- just keeps chuggin'

12. @southpaw-customs , Thanks for the pictures, and details on your swap. Very useful information.

13. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

got to say it......a SBC drops right in

14. So does a smallblock Ford........

Hi-Po in a '40.jpg

15. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Got to say it- another Chebbrainwashed, with the usual put a Chebbie in it BS. Nobody asked for that "wisdom" Chebbie man.jpg

16. manyolcars

manyolcars

The SBC is the traditional hotrod solution for the flathead problems

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  17. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

The SBC is the traditional cheap solution for folks who don't know how to work on or can't afford anything else. Guys who wanted to go FAST and had a little more money had big Olds, Nailhead, Cadillacs etc. And the OP did NOT ask for "put a Chebbie in it" BS, he had a specific question that did NOT involve Chebbies

18. twenty8

twenty8

This has the potential to be a very interesting and informative thread, but....reset time. Lets go back to the post above (#12) and try to stay on target. Many use a small block Chev, but a Ford engine in a Ford is a tremendous idea and just seems right. So, tuck in your attitudes and let's get back on track with the OP's question........................GO.............:rolleyes:

RodStRace, Budget36 and sidevalve8ba like this.
  19. If you have any questions I will be more than happy to walk you through everything I did. It wasn't hard.

Keith

40FORDPU likes this.
  20. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

BINGO- thank you. "got to say it"- no, you don't, OP did NOT ask for that

21. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

This Chebbie guy agrees, I find it refreshing to see a Ford in a Ford (OHV).
    And if the OP had the coin for a Boss motor even I would say "now we're talk'n".

mrfliboy, Budget36 and 550Coupe like this.
  22. RmK57

RmK57

Man that looks slick! Like it was made for it.

23. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Yep, with the early 60's trim and colors, looks like it came that way- sweet and not boring lol

RodStRace likes this.
  24. What I really like about that install is not only is it neat as a pin but they did not cut the firewall and it uses a mechanical fan. Doesn't get much better than that in my book.

RodStRace likes this.
  25. Not for the OP but the shivrola lovers.
    1henry.jpg

sidevalve8ba likes this.
  26. 50flathead

50flathead
    from Iowa, USA

That looks fantastic! Any build pics?

27. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Hurst style mount to the head....Mounts like a flathead....on the flathead biscuits.... ^^Post #10
    You can use a early C-4 and it "should" fit or at least fit better than any automatic....The C-4 will fit in a 41- up truck/Open Drive...on the original crossmember.
    You can also use an adapter to adapt the 302 to the original 3 speed. The adapter bells are pricy (less common than SBC) for a SBF. This is a good idea if the original driveline is intact.....It saves a lot of modifications.

28. indyjps

indyjps

As referenced above, can you tell what year the 302 is, or what generation. It will narrow down the advice.

29. indyjps

indyjps

I'm cracking up MeanGene. I had a tre fiddly wif a 292 cam, better heads though.

30. OP hasn't been back since the day he joined and asked the question.:rolleyes: :mad:

indyjps likes this.